Tokai Inlays

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JVsearch said:
That's so the inlays can be done with a little routing thing.

Yes, I realise that. It looks a little messy to me, but that's only my opinion. Perhaps that is considered normal among high priced instruments.

The inlay work looks fine to me...definitely not poor or sloppy...but that's just my opinion. :)

I have a 2005 LS320 with perfect inlay work, just perfect. Having said that, I've seen faulty inlay work in others LS320's before, this is not the norm but it's not the exception, either. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm certainly not blindfolded, and I reckon that a finish flaw like that should never exist on a high end instrument, period. In fact, that's a thing I've almost only seen in the higher models. I assume that there is much more hand work involved than on the lesser models, and the problem lies in a lack of care/time coming from the operator in charge of the inlay work.

Having said that, I find the inlay work on the LS230 that Diamond posted perfectly fine. The small routing pins are not uncommon on higher end LP's, and personally I think it's simply a construction method with no further relevance.

If that LS260 inlay work bothers you, what are you comparing it to? To some guitar you saw handmade as a masterwork by an experienced luthier?

That inlay work would do the average VOS Gibson credit. It certainly looks as good or better than the average inlay work in a 50s Gibson from what I've seen.

Perhaps on a hand made Zemaitis from the mid-'70s that may qualify as "sloppy." But compared to what I see on other Les Pauls from the Gibson Custom Shop and other manufacturers, it looks more than acceptable.

You can't deny that it looks a helluva lot better than the surprising examples you posted, can you?

Show us an example of better inlay work on a production guitar. Then we'll get where you're coming from.

9_0274-08.jpg

Sloppy work, huh? Guess what this comes from :lol:

Is the second letter an I, and the last letter an N...is one of the middle letters a B ? :D

singemonkey said:
9_0274-08.jpg

Sloppy work, huh? Guess what this comes from :lol:
Jimmy Page's Number One? ;) Or some 58 / 59 burst?

IMHO: Such sloppy inlay work in high end Tokai guitars is unacceptable. It's simply ridiculous. I can't understand it. If they are paying attention to a costly wood, high-end parts, why can't they spend 30min more on perfect inlay work?
It doesn't affect their sound but it ruins part of their magic. They should be perfect if they cost so much.

messer said:
Jimmy Page's Number One? ;) Or some 58 / 59 burst?

Frets are so small that I would vote for 58 or older. Light cauge strings...that got to be #1 :)

messer said:
IMHO: Such sloppy inlay work in high end Tokai guitars is unacceptable. It's simply ridiculous. I can't understand it. If they are paying attention to a costly wood, high-end parts, why can't they spend 30min more on perfect inlay work?
It doesn't affect their sound but it ruins part of their magic. They should be perfect if they cost so much.

I agree. You don't see such sloppy work on production furniture with inlays. I can't understand why some people here are so defensive/aggressive about Tokai.

Defensive? Or just trying to work out what the mysterious standard is that Tokai is being compared to. Yes, the Tokai pics shown are two guitars with sloppy inlay work. I agree it's unacceptable.

So Diamond posts a Tokai fretboard that has inlay work like mine. It too, doesn't pass muster. So what the heck do people want?

The 1950s sunburst Les Paul example (the first close up I came across btw) clearly has worse inlay work than the Tokai Diamond posted. It was also considered an absurdly expensive solid-body guitar in its day. $275 - about $2,000 today. Yet I've never heard anyone complain about the inlay work on them.

The Tokai that Diamond posted has better inlay work. And yet it wasn't good enough, apparently. So what is the standard? What are these being compared to?

I'm happy to keep asking until someone posts an example.

The fretboard on a near mint '57 linked to elsewhere on the forum:

319576816_o.jpg

Again. Not as good inlay work as on the fretboard Diamond posted.

I have a 2002 LS85 Relic that has superb inlay work, my brothers 2005 LS75 does not, his is similar to the pictures posted at the begining of this thread. Both are great guitars, regardless of the inlay work.
I would be mightily miffed if I had an LS150, or above, that didnt have less than perfect inlay work, after all it's not as if it's unacheivable.

Can we see the Tokai headstock on this guitar?

why is the fretboard wood so red?

butrus said:
LS320 from 2000
ls320-2000.jpg

But have seen it on other MIJ LPs too...
:cry:

Yep, and my surname with a B....I'm David Beckham. :D

You know that guy that won the Tour D France 7 times...him and I have the same first name.

Back