Friends Reunited

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
A story 15 years in the making! I saw a recent advert on marketplace for a Tokai pointy strat known as the JSD model, at a resonable price. i negotiated down to a better price with the knowledge it may not be all present and correct, generic floyd trem HSS set up etc. When I went to play and pay it was a great tokai neck but i wasnt sure about the body and its bad repaint. i took a punt and for sure it was just the neck.

tokai 1.jpgtokai 2.jpgtokai 3.jpg

At this point I remembered i had a snow white custom edition Tokai body so this seemed like the way forward. I had a quick check to see if i wanted to change the existing one as the new one was not that good a guitar. Here is the comparison:

tokai comp 1.jpg

note the Tokai brass knobs from Mr president himself! So not a light decision but I felt Tokai neck on tokai body should be the best option and unleash the mojo :)

I then wanted to compare it to its sister another JDS I got a while back:

tokai comp 2.jpg

Neck binding different and the white one has white finished neck.

tokai comp 3.jpg

So the rebuild began with the first challenge - does the neck fit? At first I thought I had a problem but it was so snug it had to be pursuaded in, it was either going to aid the overall resonance or a great crack was going to appear :)

Problem 2, the original body was routed for a 2 pivot trem (not sure which Tokai version - Im looking for a black Extra Tokai Trem is anyone has one?!?!?) so do I re-route as I had filled and converted to a 6 point standard trem.

tokai comp 4.jpg

Decision was to go with a black standard trem that didnt lock to check out the electrics and overall feel of the guitar. I could leave to the locking nut open and look for a proper Tokai trem in the meantime.

So i ordered some black strap buttons and a black jack socket from Amazon and commenced the rebuild.

Here she is and voila - a Tokai JSD that plays really well, some alignment issues maybe that can be solved when getting a professional to fit a proper locking toaki trem when i find one. Im glad I made the swap:

tokai final.jpg

So friends reunited after 15 years - here is the link to the original story of the 2009 body which originated from 1986 or 7 I believe.

Fendai mark 2 | Tokai & Japanese Guitar Forum (tokaiforum.com)

and the knob story too :)

Tokai factory tour, Hamamatsu, Japan 1.6.16 | Page 2 | Tokai & Jap4anese Guitar Forum (tokaiforum.com)

hope you enjoyed my story and keep an eye out for that trem please !!!

Attachments

• tokai 3.jpg
    tokai 3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tokai comp 3.jpg
    tokai comp 3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
Note the 56 mm routing distance for the trem compared to the 74 mm ayers recoker / floyd spacing hence the search for an extra Tokai trem or i have to cut the scratch plate or buy a new one. its a hybrid model anyway.

Hi Iain,

Looks like a fun project.

I thought the ET hardware was 1983/84?

Your HHH body looks like some of the ones I have seen that seem to date to from 1986-89?

I was looking for one with the same production code but don't have enough examples to find one.

Here are a couple of HHH Tokais to maybe give you some ideas on the trem options?

Hi Iain,

Your HHH body looks like some of the ones I have seen that seem to date to from 1986-89?

I was looking for one with the same production code but don't have enough examples to find one.

Here are a couple of HHH Tokais to maybe give you some ideas on the trem options?
Thanks Sigmania for all the links to help decide - it just needs to be 55-56 mm width, black and Tokai, not really worried about period correct as it is a hybrid. I will need to check the neck code , dont recall seeing one but didnt specifically check.

The body code is 12-1- SW - X for Snow white, not sure if you have cracked the date code yet?? Apologies for my poor fill and paint job but it was covered by a lovely gold trem :)

tokai coade.jpg

Hi Iain,

Wow - green meanie :)

Thanks Sigmania for all the links to help decide - it just needs to be 55-56 mm width, black and Tokai, not really worried about period correct as it is a hybrid. I will need to check the neck code , dont recall seeing one but didnt specifically check.

The body code is 12-1- SW - X for Snow white, not sure if you have cracked the date code yet?? Apologies for my poor fill and paint job but it was covered by a lovely gold trem :)

View attachment 56917
Working on it. ATO has been logging these month-batch combinations and looking for patterns with some success.

BTW, he now owns the green TST100 in your book.

Somehow I don't think he will be selling it, but who knows.

It turned out to be a very interesting piece of the puzzle.

The decal was changed from block logo to script at the factory it seems.

Some other interesting stuff too.

Link here:

T/ST100 TG

Latest posts

Back