Tokai Inlays

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gone are the days of comparing Tokais to Gibsons that cost twice to three times the price, now they're compared to PRS that cost 4 times the price.

It's about time. :D

:wink:

There are quite a few differences with PRS...as said before PRS excel in the details, everything is pristine. The poly finish probably helps getting glass like results, it is much easier to apply evenly.

The overall build is really impressive, quite awesome if you pick the right PRS. They play like butter too, I am gobsmacked by my SC245. It is by far the best PRS I have ever played.

I know, I know this is a Tokai forum...

But don't get me wrong, the LS150 is in the same league in terms of sound, build and playability at only a fraction of the price..isn't it worth one or two concession in the finish department? I think it is.

I really need to have a guitar shootout and write about it one of these days. There are some I have never played side by side:

Tokai LS150 vs PRS SC245 vs Yamaha SG2000S

looktoyourorb said:

One of our larger shops (the one I mentioned) has a wall of PRSs (I'm not up on PRS models so I don't know if they have the SC245) and an SG2000. All Diamond has to do is to convince them to take some Tokais ;)

Or I suppose I could just take mine in... :p

Mind you, PRSs don't really work for me with the in-between scale length - although they're obviously superb guitars.

Ahaa that when the SC245 makes sense. It has 24 1/2 scale, wide fat neck and hot vintage 245 pickups...but unfortunately it is not made anymore.

I have an old SG2000, I wonder what the new ones are like?

Why did they even bother?

ls1000-inlay.jpg

singemonkey said:
looktoyourorb said:

One of our larger shops (the one I mentioned) has a wall of PRSs (I'm not up on PRS models so I don't know if they have the SC245) and an SG2000. All Diamond has to do is to convince them to take some Tokais ;)

Or I suppose I could just take mine in... :p

Mind you, PRSs don't really work for me with the in-between scale length - although they're obviously superb guitars.

I found my LS160 VF...here she is. :)

ls160vf1.jpg

ls160vf5.jpg

butrus

How come all the Tokai guitar photos you post have red rosewood fretboards, and the rest of the worlds Tokais have dark brown rosewood fretboards?

Here's the neck of the LS160 VF I just posted.

neck1.jpg

Diamond said:
butrus

How come all the Tokai guitar photos you post have red rosewood fretboards, and the rest of the worlds Tokais have dark brown rosewood fretboards?

:lol:
What are you suggesting...Arent you the Tokai expert?

Diamond said:
butrus

Perhaps the wood lightens up over time but the filler doesn't?

Although you can still see the filler on that photo of the new LS-160 (sorry!).

Still looks pretty good though! And I'm sure you have picked the "right" one from a selection of 160s?

JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
butrus

Still looks pretty good though! And I'm sure you have picked the "right" one from a selection of 160s?

Sure you can see some filler, I'm not denying there's filler.

I can pick any guitar, any model, they're all the same, I just used the one I was photographing (the one with the amazing top), and photographed the neck.

butrus said:
Diamond said:
butrus

:lol:
What are you suggesting...Arent you the Tokai expert?

I'm not a Tokai expert at all...I'm still a student. :)

I'm just suggesting that enhancing a photo to specifically show inlay filler of a guitar that's not even yours seems kind of pointless...considering the fact that the guitar you posted doesn't look like your photo in real life.
In reality it must have a dark brown fretboard, not a red one.

It's like stripping the paint off a guitar to see how many pieces it's made of, then photographing it, and then re-painting it again.

All the photos I have posted are from the ovners themselves...
I only copy paste.Have never done anything to any photo.
Its not pointless,Its what this tread is about.

And about striping/painting...:lol:
Im no expert,Im yust a student... :lol:

Diamond said:

I'm just suggesting that enhancing a photo to specifically show inlay filler of a guitar that's not even yours seems kind of pointless...considering the fact that the guitar you posted doesn't look like your photo in real life.

It's like stripping the paint off a guitar to see how many pieces it's made of, then photographing it, and then re-painting it again.

I don't think there is any enhancing going on. I think you made that suggestion before, perhaps on another thread, something about choosing the lighting to make the inlay look worse. Come on now, even in your photo the inlay is not perfect, it has a minor cosmetic flaw. Rather amusingly you have hoisted yourself with your own petard. You can of course argue that for you it does not matter and that you consider it irrelevant. I wonder what inlay work is like on t'other makes?

When I was last in a guitar shop I specifically checked some new Gibsons and the inlay was perfect. Incidentally my (one and only) Tokai has a very dark fretboard, it is almost like the ebony one on my Taylor acoustic guitar. Maybe wood varies, maybe they stain it, and the stain fades with time? For what it is worth, the inlay on mine is nicely done, though not perfect, then again, a sample of one tells us diddly squat.

Still, I agree with you that the maple top on your guitar is superb.

Anyway, this forum is about discussing Tokai guitars, including strengths and weaknesses. If someone presents a photo showing imperfect inlay work, don't go and call them a liar or a cheat. :roll:

Diamond said:
JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
butrus

I can pick any guitar, any model, they're all the same, I just used the one I was photographing (the one with the amazing top), and photographed the neck.

Oh man, sorry, I realise how that must have sounded! I thought you had bought an LS-160 for yourself, hence my comments about it looking good, and being the "right" one.

I did not mean you'd specifically picked the one with the best looking inlays. :)

Thats what Im talking about.
Inconsistancy.
If you put that special(or any other) inlay in,do it properly.
:wink:

JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
JVsearch said:
Diamond said:
butrus

Oh man, sorry, I realise how that must have sounded! I thought you had bought an LS-160 for yourself, hence my comments about it looking good, and being the "right" one.

I did not mean you'd specifically picked the one with the best looking inlays. :)

lol, no no, I have a few 160 VF, so I chose one as my personal keeper.
Problem is, if I run out I'll end up selling the keeper. ;(

Leif said:
Diamond said:

I don't think there is any enhancing going on. I think you made that suggestion before, perhaps on another thread, something about choosing the lighting to make the inlay look worse. Come on now, even in your photo the inlay is not perfect, it has a minor cosmetic flaw. Rather amusingly you have hoisted yourself with your own petard. You can of course argue that for you it does not matter and that you consider it irrelevant. I wonder what inlay work is like on t'other makes?

When I was last in a guitar shop I specifically checked some new Gibsons and the inlay was perfect. Incidentally my (one and only) Tokai has a very dark fretboard, it is almost like the ebony one on my Taylor acoustic guitar. Maybe wood varies, maybe they stain it, and the stain fades with time? For what it is worth, the inlay on mine is nicely done, though not perfect, then again, a sample of one tells us diddly squat.

Still, I agree with you that the maple top on your guitar is superb.

Anyway, this forum is about discussing Tokai guitars, including strengths and weaknesses. If someone presents a photo showing imperfect inlay work, don't go and call them a liar or a cheat. :roll:

Look at the two photos Amo posted...his has a dark brown fretboard, and the other one has a red fretboard.
I didn't accuse butrus of "editing" his photo, or a liar, or a cheat, I just said it's a completely un natural photo, the colours are all wrong.

It's just a flash, Diamond - rosewood always looks red under bright light, which includes sunlight. Saying it's not a problem because the rosewood is dark is skirting the issue - it *is* a problem, as even Epiphone manage to stamp out guitars with accurate cut inlays at a fraction of the cost of this. I doubt people would even be complaining about it if Tokai's QC weren't impeccable most of the time; it's like having a Ferrari with a squeaky dashboard.

And you're saying those pictures aren't comparable because they're different colours - you don't need them to be white balanced and taken under the same conditions to see that the first one has BIG filler problems in the corners, and the second has hardly any filler at all. It's inconsistent as pointed out and therefore a quality control problem.

Inconsistency...a quality control problem? lol

What percentage are inconsistent?
How many thousands of photos have guys posted here of their Tokais, how many have this inlay inconsistency?
Because butrus posted 2 photos of inlays that have too much filler, it's now become official internet guitarist policy that Tokais inlays are inconsistent and a quality control problem?

And you expect me to take internet guitar forums seriously? :roll:

Latest posts

Back