My Tokai story

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think i would sell the brass ones if they are original. I have one spare brass one which made me think that they were replacements. I will pass that on to anyone who needs it.

Anyone got a set of Final Prospec they are willing to sell?

more Torme confusion. Here is a photo from around '82 with his blue strat and one of his polar white ones - It looks more like my 'lake placid' than the blue sparkle I was holding 25 years later.

Berniestrats1.jpg

Then more confusion - Bernie bought a 'new' vintage replacement for his Ozzy strat modelled by the picturesque Carina Lirola

carinalirolaberniestrat.jpg

Now that one looks like LPB, but remember that yours isn't - the body stamp shows that it's Tokai's Metallic Blue, as stated above.

The Fender whites can be a little confusing (sooo many colours to choose from :p), but I reckon that's Olympic White, which seems to be the most common white Fender use.

Stratman, you are right, I just could not remember the colour name - I will post the vintage fender colour chart just to get everyone on the same wavelength (colour, gettit?!?)

Erm, I already posted a Fender colour chart in one of my posts on the previous page.... :eek: :-?

I've got the early 60's and the 66 custom colour ones. Sorry, even though I've been registered since 2002 I've only really got into the forum over Xmas holidays so I havent worked my way through all the threads yet.

I must say the level of enthusiasm, knowledge and good humour is clear joining in as a newbie so please bear with me if I ask long answered questions.

I would also like to start a thread on the Stratocaster Haynes manual which is a really good guide to all things strat. A bit repetetive but a good guide to many variations of manufacturer.

On the earlier question of which one I prefer to play - the surf green due to the rosewood feel however it does need setting up a bit to have the floating trem but I have 3 screws missing.

Just solved this as a local independent guitar shop in Stockport where I work is closing down on saturday and the owner did a deal with me to rummage through his spares box. I got bridge screws, locking nut plates and screws, a set of black spretzel tuners, a set of 'gold' shaler tuners and a shaler black 'floyd rose' type trem and various other bits for ?35.

Bargin!

Oh no! PLEASE don't ruin a rare Goldie by putting a Floyd Rose and locking nut on it! You'll ruin a beautiful guitar, wreck the tone, and cut the value in half. A Floyd Rose needs the body routed, so it's irreversible.

That Goldie has survived, unmolested, for nearly 25 years - don't you think it should be allowed to see out it's days in the same condition? If you must have a guitar with a locking trem, sell it and get a newer guitar that is supposed to have a locking trem.

Anybody want to help set up the RSPCT - the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Tokais? :cry:

Poor thing....

calm down dear, it's only an advert.... no I meant I got three new trem screws, the floyd rose will be for a marlin or one of the other custom platforms I have.

No, I'm firmly in the original parts camp - that's why I was questioning the brass saddles and agree with the guy who is changing out the whole scratchplate and electrics whilst keeping the U/S originals in tact.

Some of the photos on this site have promted more errections than a chinaman on his honeymoon. This morning I picked up a Chinese sunburst strat for 40 quid and will be adding a tortoise shell scratchplate and some gold hardware for a nice vintage tex mex look.

thanks for stirring my enthusiasm again. Is there a forum for swapping Tokais?

iainblack said:
Is there a forum for swapping Tokais?

Yes - you're on it now. If you want to get rid of the green one, let me know. It's not my favourite colour, but I could make an exception for that one, however many missing screws it may have.

Glad to hear that I over-reacted about the Floyd Rose. :p

Yeah it's a great forum, but it should be sponsored by Tokai, since the pics have prompted so many of us to buy guitars that we really don't need, even though we convince ourselves that we do.

Hi ianinblack!

If I get you an original "final -prospec" stamped tremolo you will swap for the brass saddles?

Right? Just to confirm.

Rupert

Rupert, I would want to keep my original brass saddles but buy or trade something else for a set of final prospec.

I actually have 4 spare brass saddles so if we can find you another 2 then we can make a set - anyone got two spare or needs these 4 - 2 grub screws missing.

I've found the scan of the pic of various green Fenders, in case it's of any help in indentifying the colour of your Tokai.

GreenFenders.jpg

Mike

Back