My Tokai story

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
I started to get into music in 1978. Black Sabbath etc. I really liked Randy Rhoads but I also loved what Bernie Torme did and i wanted a white strat like his. He has 2 1962 polar white strats with rosewood necks. So I had some money to buy my first proper guitar. This was around the time I became aware of the first Squires. I had 200 quid so I was looking for the best white strat i could find with my mate in the Glasgow guitar shops.

I spotted a white Squire that was 189 quid but we also spied a candy apple red tokai for 199. As the white one was a 'fender' and 10 quid cheaper I went for the Squire. I regret to this day that i did not buy that one and I don't even want to think about the fact that it may have come with a hard vintage case! It had a rosewood neck and a matching red headstock - can't remember if it was a springy or goldie but it was 1984.

The kicker is that i bought the squire and really had made a mistake as it had a maple neck and a 70's large headstock so not really a Bernie Torme look-a-like. don't get me wrong a nice guitar which i resold for the same money a few years later to a friend.

So I came into some more money a while later and a guy that worked in Sound control in Paisley offered me his Tokai with a case for 140 quid which was a good deal. It was in reasonable nick and had been giged extensively hence the fret wear but in pretty good shape. it was one of the first one's they got in the glasgow shop was all he told me but no idea of when - however it is a goldie - pictures below including the warranty card:

Tokaiwarranty2.jpg

Tokaiwarranty.jpg

2008_01022007Xmas0061.jpg

2008_01022007Xmas0062.jpg

2008_01022007Xmas0070.jpg

a few more to come later

I am also not sure about the saddles as there was a craze from brass saddles and nuts in those days however i do recall seeing one onther picture on this forum of another with similar saddles and i swear I have an old catalogue with Tokai's eddie van halen paint job with one humbucker and these brass saddles (or was I just drinking too much?)

The guy also cut out the back access plate to make string changing easier live - hey other companies have since done this so he was ahead of his time.

Note that the guitar serial number does not match the L03665 serial number on the warranty - is this correct and is it an ST-50?

i must give it a clean and new strings, it looks like a heap next to some of the shiney photos you guys post! I will do this and photograph under the scratchplate etc.

There is an ironic ending to the story....

and the ironic bit is Bernie Torme went on to play for Ozzy for a few weeks after Randy Rhoads was killed in the air crash. When bernie left Ozzy he asked if he could keep the 1964 vintage strat they bought him as a back up and ozzy gave it to him.

Guess what, it is lake placid blue (but rosewood).

i got my '62 strat signed by Bernie on 30th october and got to play his '64 strat Ozzy gave him - nice guy and he explained that the body had dried out and split in two so he had to have it glues together! It is a very sparkly metallic blue too.

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

Nice story!! Bernie Torme was one of the first 'real guitarists' I ever saw, playing with Gillan in the early '80's. Great player!!

many thanks on the saddles info, bit weird on a vintage copy but hey there you go. I wonder what difference it would make to the sound if I changed them out for tokai pressed steel ones?

I'm not sure about the references to Lake Placid Blue - looked like some sort of blue sparkle finish to me. :-?

Mike

The saddles also look like the Mighty Mite saddles I put on my Stratocaster in 1978 although mine were chromed-brass. Very "in" at that time.

Mike, is my Tokai Lake Placid Blue? Bernie's is definately different in person however it look colser to mine in older photos - maybe with the laquer wearing off it exposes more metallic or is Blue sparkle an official 64 fender colour?

I will post the next part of my story tonight and we can debate foam blue or foam green!!!

Iain,

Yours might be LPB, the other one is unlikely to be. It's hard to be sure as LPB seems to age rather more erratically than, say Candy Apple Red, especially when old and finished in nitro. Here are the main Fender blues:

SonicDaphneLakePlacidBlueStrats1966.jpg

Left to right, Sonic, Daphne, LPB, & (I think) Sherwood Green. Note that the transition decal (64 to 67 I think) bears more than a passing resemblance to the Tokai decal on Goldstars. The Springy decal is, of course, a blatant (and very good) rip-off of the pre 64 spaghetti decal.

Here's a Fender colour chart, though a little incomplete:

http://www.fender.com/resources/colors/

My story part 2: so I was now in love with Tokai and in the early 90's was living on the south in Worthing. I thought i'd check out the local second hand market and put an advert in the Friday Ad for squire or tokai strats wanted. I got a call from a lad who tried to describe this tokai. I stupidly said i was willing to pay up to 50 quid and agreed to meet him at a garage in Arundel.

Half an hour later he turned up in a bashed up fiesta with a bunch of young lads with a bashed up Tokai in surf blue /foam green (not sure of colour please help). A tone knob missing and no trem arm and a bridge screw reemed out. This was where i should have beat him down but for 50 quid i can't complain!!!!

DSC02820.jpg

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02826.jpg

Just call me jammy git!

Bernie Torme was one of the first guys I heard go truly spastic with a stock Fender whammy bar.
I went through a "Torme-phase" as well.
I loved his version of New Orleans with Gillan.
They came out here to tour and I bought tickets and was all excited about seeing Torme....then at the last minute Jannick Gers joined :eek:
Not exactly a bad thing coz I was then introduced to his style and was still impressed...not so impressed with his joining Maiden....still can't fathom that one.

MB is metallic blue. It looks darker than LPB, & I'm not sure that there was a Fender equivalent. LB is the code for LPB. I have an 84 Goldie in Metallic Green (MG), which is so dark it looks black a lot of the time, including in most of the pics I have.

118_1896.jpg

It doesn't look like that truss rod on your blue Goldie has ever been turned!

?50 for the green one? That's an amazing price! You don't see many matching headtocks either - nice one. How do the two compare?

Back