Some questions on a 75(?) Greco SE500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorsban

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got this guitar recently and was hoping to get more info on it.

20240305_150221.jpg
20240310_064039.jpg
20240310_064104.jpg
20240309_151546.jpg
20240309_151607.jpg
20240305_214940.jpg
20240309_151158.jpg

So far, it seems the pickguard, pup covers, pots, switch, saddles and nut aren't original but the neck, pups, tuners, bridge all seem original. I think the body as well.

I also suspect this has been repainted or touched up but I don't know to what extent but I definitely see some blotchy work that I doubt is factory. I also can't see the wood grain - I don't know if that's stock or not and the catalog pic isn't very clear...

Screenshot_20240310_065302_Chrome.jpg

That said, I'm very happy with the guitar. I had just sold a couple fenders but wanted another strat but didn't want to spend fender money. Traded a mini-acoustic for it that I was selling for the same price this was = $175.

This sounds and plays incredible. Maybe on par or better than my US fenders. Maybe it's the age or something but this feels REALLY easy and "soft" playing. It's probably the neck.

I have a white pickguard, new white knobs coming as well as some traditional saddles so this will be more period correct.

The electronics still work so I'll stick with those till they konk out and then I'll put in some switchcrafts or cts pots and switch.

Anything look off or something? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a trem arm? It seems smaller than what's available in the markets

Update: Apparently it's a 10-32 size trem hehe

Last edited:
Japanese industry has always been solidly metric, and vintage Japanese Strat bridges take 5mm (M5) thread arms, with no exceptions I've ever heard of. A 10-32 arm might fit in the hole and be possible to wind down, but since metric and imperial thread pitch isn't the same, the steel arm will very likely damage the soft alloy thread in the cast bridge. Given the number of non-US-made Strats around I would assume that any good parts vendor will have them in stock, they certainly do around my part of the planet.

Either way, nice looking guitar! 1975 seems about right to me, but if it doesn't have a serial, the original pots are likely to have date code.

Really? Ok well,
Japanese industry has always been solidly metric, and vintage Japanese Strat bridges take 5mm (M5) thread arms, with no exceptions I've ever heard of. A 10-32 arm might fit in the hole and be possible to wind down, but since metric and imperial thread pitch isn't the same, the steel arm will very likely damage the soft alloy thread in the cast bridge. Given the number of non-US-made Strats around I would assume that any good parts vendor will have them in stock, they certainly do around my part of the planet.

Either way, nice looking guitar! 1975 seems about right to me, but if it doesn't have a serial, the original pots are likely to have date code.
Oh ok! Ya I wondered about that whole metric thing. Another site had the same question for a japan strat with stc bridge like mine and they suggested the 10-32...

Anyway, mine is a K75 series based on the backplate. Pots are likely not stock unfortunately.

I have plans to upgrate the electronics once these stop working.

K75 is Nov 1975, which means it's almost certainly an early 1976 model. Next years range was launched late in the autumn, with production already up and running. A common cause of confusion when trying to ID guitars and the specs don't fit the serial year. Probably little if any difference between the 1975 and '76 version of this model, though, but you should take a peek in the '76 catalog as well.

K75 is Nov 1975, which means it's almost certainly an early 1976 model. Next years range was launched late in the autumn, with production already up and running. A common cause of confusion when trying to ID guitars and the specs don't fit the serial year. Probably little if any difference between the 1975 and '76 version of this model, though, but you should take a peek in the '76 catalog as well.

So, it was made in 75 but released to market in 76?

That's cool, I guess.

I don't know Grecos. With Tokai they start releasing the next year's model in the fall of the preceding year as Voidoid56 said.

Two features of the SE series

1. Material and cutting

The SE800 series uses Alder material for the sunburst and tobacco brown finished body. Alder is the same wood as the original model, and when finished in sunburst or tobacco brown, it has a deep, rich finish. Also, the cutting has been changed to a flowing body shape that fits the body.

2. Pickup and tremolo

The pickup uses the newly developed PU-100. The PU-100 is a high-power pickup with a waxed coil that produces a tight sound that does not dissipate even when the output is increased.

A balanced pole piece setting creates a mellow and dry sound.

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 8.26.30 AM.png

SE500S ¥50,000

●Pickup/Single coil microphone x 3.
●Body/ Agathis or Sen
●Neck/Maple Detachable neck
●Fingerboard/Maple
●3-circuit selector switch
●V×1, T×2 with tremolo
●Sunburst finish
●Note* Available for left side

Screen Shot 2024-03-12 at 8.26.08 AM.png

So if the body is Agathis or Sen, I would say yours is Agathis. Sen has a bold grain to it and you would see it though the stain.

So if the body is Agathis or Sen, I would say yours is Agathis. Sen has a bold grain to it and you would see it though the stain.

 Thanks

I was wondering about that too. I couldn't tell because the middle was painted

You are welcome.

Sen is not cheap. It was used for its grain patterns as well as its tonal qualities. If it were sen you would be able to see the grain. They would not have painted over/obscured it.

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-4.jpg
    s-l1600-4.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-7.jpg
    s-l1600-7.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600-9.jpg
    s-l1600-9.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Again, I am not a Greco expert. I have only owned four of them, but I have noticed that the specs are not always consistent. I would get a bright light and see if you can see the grain more clearly.

To clarify. The one I linked is Agathis it seems. Looks like the seller wasn’t sure. Definitely not sen.

Again, I am not a Greco expert. I have only owned four of them, but I have noticed that the specs are not always consistent. I would get a bright light and see if you can see the grain more clearly.

Mine seems to be painted yellow so I can't see the grain.

At any rate, agathis doesn't bother me either way.

Here's a sound sample - plugged into an orange micro dark head and 8in cab:

(Excuse the messy noodling hehe)

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between this and my ash/alder fenders...and it’s on the neck pup...

Listen to Strat.mp3 by 8livesleft on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/ZmUq7

Last edited:
That is the neck pickup? I would have guessed the half position off the bridge.

That is the neck pickup? I would have guessed the half position off the bridge.

Yup neck

So, it's plenty bright. Don't think I want it any brighter tbh

I actually sold a mij fender 52ri tele because I thought it was too bright.

This is just right

Last edited:
Back