P90 equipped gold top knowledge please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsjackson

Reaction score
I’ve been mostly absent from here for a while, have been without a tokai and had other stuff to do but I’m looking to get another tokai and would appreciate some insight,

A couple of my questions have already been answered (thanks) but instead of dripping the odd question every now and then i thought id compile a list now and hopefully have an idea of what to look for without having to go through 15 threads worth of my annoying questions haha.

So I’m absolutely certain I want to buy a tokai gold top with p90s.

I know the value won’t mean much to many on here, at least anyone that isn’t in the U.K. but I will give examples where possible.

So I’m sure I want a Japanese made tokai, and I’ve found a few (new) that I could import from Japan for not silly money which is actually quite tempting.

The one that falls into my price range without much more saving is an LS144s. I could order one from tokai and have it delivered after paying customs for a little under £1200.

That’s about what used (2012) 98s are asking, and I think they are the same spec.

The other one I’ve been looking at is an ls220s which is obviously the premium (or beginning of the premium) range.

This would be somewhere between £1600-£1700 after customs. Which around here is about the same as a used Gibson standard gold top.

I know a couple of differences between the 144 and 220, two piece vs one piece back. Poly vs nitro finish. And I think the 220 comes with a hardcase.

Is that all or are there hardware/pickup/component/tenon construction differences too?

I’m trying to decide if I want to wait and order a 220 when I can afford it, or if I just order a 144 now and get an aftermarket hardcase. I’m not sure I’m bothered enough by the finish and one piece back to pay another £500. Will the 220 be vastly superior?

The tokais I’ve ever held have all been poly, beautifully finished and very thin. Is this the case with all mij tokai poly?

And lastly, I’d love a tokai but am not against another mij of equal quality… burny or Bacchus or similar.

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the really long post

Adding to what you already pointed out:

- Pick ups are different: MK1 in the 220 and MK2 in the 144. I don't know them, but maybe someone can tell you more about it, and PU can make a huge difference.
- Bridge and tailpiece are different (and tuners as well I suppose).
- 220 comes with CTS pots and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors, while 144 electronics is not specified.

If you ask me I'll add the extra money and go for the 220, but I'm not you, don't know your finances and how much you are concerned about this matter.

And even if you end up with the 144 you'll have a great guitar, far superior to other bigger brands for half its price 😉

- Pick ups are different: MK1 in the 220 and MK2 in the 144. I don't know them, but maybe someone can tell you more about it, and PU can make a huge difference.
- 220 comes with CTS pots and Sprague Orange Drop capacitors, while 144 electronics is not specified.

If you ask me I'll add the extra money and go for the 220, but I'm not you, don't know your finances and how much you are concerned about this matter.

And even if you end up with the 144 you'll have a great guitar, far superior to other bigger brands for half its price 😉
Ah it’s just my impatience that’s urging me to order a 144 now… really annoyingly I missed a 2nd hand 220 for £1250 by less than a week.

Deep down I know I’d be more than happy with a 144, I generally don’t think much about nitro finish but all the other little differences make me want to wait. And I know that deeper down if I got a 144 one day I would HAVE to buy a 220 as well.

What il try to do is be patient, if a second hand 220 pops up while I’m saving then wonderful and if not il order a new one when I’ve got the money.

Thanks for taking the time!

Just one more quick question if you don’t mind wasting more of your time on my annoying questions…

Not sure if you’ve ever seen one or even heard of one… no harm in asking

There’s a Bacchus classic series BLP-STD-s for sale not a million miles from me for pretty good money. It is from 2012 with an H serial number.

How does this compare to an LS220s spec wise, If you’ve ever had the pleasure (or displeasure)

The black one on Reverb?
Don't know much about the brand honestly, but looking at the specs it's closer to the 220 than to the 144.
Seems a great guitar to me!

This Reverb listing has the specs:

https://reverb.com/item/51047538-bacchus-blp-std-s-classic-series-handmade-made-in-japan
But the specs seem to be diverging a bit among the other model listings (1pc vs 2pc backs) and the Deviser/Bacchus website doesn't seem list the Classic series (so no 1st hand specs info) anymore. Superficially they seem to be in the middle between the 2 Tokais you are eying though. I never touched one of those but their reputation is sure good.

The black one on Reverb?
Don't know much about the brand honestly, but looking at the specs it's closer to the 220 than to the 144.
Seems a great guitar to me!
Yes the black one! Other than the colour it’s pretty spot on what I want and it’s in the same country as me haha.

Thanks again!

This Reverb listing has the specs:

https://reverb.com/item/51047538-bacchus-blp-std-s-classic-series-handmade-made-in-japan
But the specs seem to be diverging a bit among the other model listings (1pc vs 2pc backs) and the Deviser/Bacchus website doesn't seem list the Classic series (so no 1st hand specs info) anymore. Superficially they seem to be in the middle between the 2 Tokais you are eying though. I never touched one of those but their reputation is sure good.
That’s the one, thanks for your help. I’ve been struggling to find specific specs for them,
it’s so close to what I want for the money I want to spend (plus I’m impatient) plus it’s in the same country as me I’m very tempted.

Wow, now that's some "personalized" (or should I say "intelligent"?) advertising! (Single coil guitar -> noise suppressor pedal) Scary algorithm! :)

That's a yummy guitar hitting all the points (+FEB!) but I think that might end up around £1,900 with taxes, also people on Kleinanzeigen are usually reluctant to ship to other countries (too many fraud stories with shipping to foreign buyers) and the UK not being in the EU anymore added a level of complication re customs declaration. :(

I actually have ordered a new one from Japan… I didn’t have the patience to save up for a 220 so I’ve ordered a brand new ls144s.

It’s the only brand new guitar I’ve ever bought, I’m really really excited to get it (apparently on Thursday!)

I didn’t think the price was bad at all, although it quickly adds up after postage and what I’m guessing the import fees will be.

Guitar was £730 + £120 shipping and I’m assuming a little over 20% in fees to get it through customs so I’m expecting around £1100 all in.

I got a free tokai hardcase upgrade which was nice, although I assume in the sellers best interest shipping a guitar 6000 miles.

IMG_0709.png

Crossing my fingers that all will go as smooth as possible and that you like the guitar! :)
Much appreciated! I’m sure il like it, I hope.
I know I love p90s, I think the necks on these are supposed to be a reasonable size which I’m into, only thing im probably going to have to get used to is the weight but I think no matter what I got if it was a gold les Paul shaped object it would be heavier than the Strats and SGs I’m used to.

I paid fedex to get my guitar through customs today and it was less than anticipated, so I think the guitar all in including a hardcase will be £1k pretty much exactly.

I’ve got it! It’s beautiful, I’ve barely had a minute with it and probably won’t until my kids are in bed but first impressions are great.

It’s absolutely flawlessly finished, frets are perfect, neck is a nice comfy handful, it’s not as heavy as I was expecting (or doesn’t feel as heavy)

And I’m never going to think twice about ordering from Japan again, at least from Kurosawa Music Machida, via reverb.
It was so much easier, quicker and cheaper than I was expecting.

Can’t say enough good things about the shop their communication was excellent, speed of turn around was great this guitar was still in Tokyo on Tuesday and it made it to 5 miles from my house last night. They threw in a free tokai hardcase which is great, thanks!

Anyone that’s wondering about importing from Japan to the U.K., I’d recommend expecting to pay 20% in customs fees but mine actually worked out at around 17% so you should be pleasantly surprised when you get the bill haha.

Will post photos and more of my impressions of it over the weekend

Back