Looking for my first Tokai - Goldtop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrb

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post and I've recently been reading about Tokai guitars.

I'm somewhat familiar with MIJ guitars, as I have a '91 Grecos es176 and an '81 Burny RR LPC. Both are stellar guitars.
I'm currently looking for a goldtop with P90s, and preferable a wrap bridge. I'm looking at new Tokais but would gladly consider a vintage, I'm just not seeing any for sale on the web.
It seems there are nooks and crannies though in the internet where people sell these guitars, so I'm all ears. Please let me know if you can clue me in to that end.

Vintage aside, I've been talking with "G-Club Produced by Kurosawa Music" via Reverb, as I asked them about this guitar that I've read on this forum they produced 3 of, the LS176s CTW Wrap Around 2022 Gold Top
They said they have no plans to produce that guitar currently. I asked what the difference is between that and the LS156s-WA (here) and they said the lacquer finish .
They also said "We can custom order again with similar specifications, but the price may be higher." So I've asked about the time and price.

I sure could use some guidance to whether or not there's something else I should be looking at, or if it's even advisable to pre-order with these folks(forgive my ignorance), or if there's a better avenue to pursue this.
Basically any advise on buying a goldtop for a newbie is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hi there, this is my first post and I've recently been reading about Tokai guitars.

I'm somewhat familiar with MIJ guitars, as I have a '91 Grecos es176 and an '81 Burny RR LPC. Both are stellar guitars.
I'm currently looking for a goldtop with P90s, and preferable a wrap bridge. I'm looking at new Tokais but would gladly consider a vintage, I'm just not seeing any for sale on the web.
It seems there are nooks and crannies though in the internet where people sell these guitars, so I'm all ears. Please let me know if you can clue me in to that end.

Vintage aside, I've been talking with "G-Club Produced by Kurosawa Music" via Reverb, as I asked them about this guitar that I've read on this forum they produced 3 of, the LS176s CTW Wrap Around 2022 Gold Top
They said they have no plans to produce that guitar currently. I asked what the difference is between that and the LS156s-WA (here) and they said the lacquer finish .
They also said "We can custom order again with similar specifications, but the price may be higher." So I've asked about the time and price.

I sure could use some guidance to whether or not there's something else I should be looking at, or if it's even advisable to pre-order with these folks(forgive my ignorance), or if there's a better avenue to pursue this.
Basically any advise on buying a goldtop for a newbie is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hey! So I’m on a similar journey and I was just wondering if you managed to find a wrap tail goldtop.

Hey! So I’m on a similar journey and I was just wondering if you managed to find a wrap tail goldtop.
Yes! I bought a brand new Tokai goldtop from a dealer on Reverb. I can't remember the model but it was the only wraptail. I absolutely love it. It's 8lbs, plays great, and I've gone back and forth with different pickups, and finally settled on the stock Tokai P90 in the neck(they are reaaaally low out put 6.3k, which I love for the neck), and one of those cheap stew mac Parson street or whatever they're called, in the bridge(8.5K) that works great for me. I had a set of those Hepcat p90s that N. Duportal plays, but didn't care too much for them. I just left the black cover on the bridge.... Here's a quick video of the bridge, through my Vero amp. It's EXACTLY what I want a bridge P90 to sound like. I keep the tone rolled down to about 7 or 8, so that the neck is clear as a bell when I go there. here

Yes! I bought a brand new Tokai goldtop from a dealer on Reverb. I can't remember the model but it was the only wraptail. I absolutely love it. It's 8lbs, plays great, and I've gone back and forth with different pickups, and finally settled on the stock Tokai P90 in the neck(they are reaaaally low out put 6.3k, which I love for the neck), and one of those cheap stew mac Parson street or whatever they're called, in the bridge(8.5K) that works great for me. I had a set of those Hepcat p90s that N. Duportal plays, but didn't care too much for them. I just left the black cover on the bridge.... Here's a quick video of the bridge, through my Vero amp. It's EXACTLY what I want a bridge P90 to sound like. I keep the tone rolled down to about 7 or 8, so that the neck is clear as a bell when I go there. here

That sounds fantastic! It would be awesome if you maybe let me know what model you think it is.. is it one of those lacquer finished ones? The wrap tail ones with lacquer finish are kinda rare but that’s exactly the kind of guitar I’m looking for.

That sounds fantastic! It would be awesome if you maybe let me know what model you think it is.. is it one of those lacquer finished ones? The wrap tail ones with lacquer finish are kinda rare but that’s exactly the kind of guitar I’m looking for.
This is the listing for the guitar I bought. I don't think it's lacquer , but you can talk to them and ask. They were very helpful and had decent communication. IIRC I could have had them do a special finish but the upcharge wasn't worth it to me. Came w a gig bag btw, which was fine listing

This is the listing for the guitar I bought. I don't think it's lacquer , but you can talk to them and ask. They were very helpful and had decent communication. IIRC I could have had them do a special finish but the upcharge wasn't worth it to me. Came w a gig bag btw, which was fine listing
I’ve messaged them, thank you! :)

Back