• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold FS: Tokai LS-75 AG All Gold P90 1981 RARE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeras

Reaction score

For sale this rare Tokai LS-75 All Gold (had issue to capture the gold colour, I'd say the first pic shows it closest to how it looks in real).
Nice weight - just below 3,9 kg/8.6 lbs.
Guitar is in overall great condition, finish is almost perfect, all issues are shown on photos.
It sounds powerfull, great sustain and feel. At the moment pickups are out of phase so you get a unique tone in the middle posistion.
Neck is on the thicker side, it's a bit warped, it's not dramatic (pics can't show it) and at the circa 1.3 mm action there is no buzz.
Tuners have been replaced as well as the truss rod cover. Pickguard is not original, should be treated as a bonus.
Comes with a brand new hardcase.
More pics:
https://reverb.com/en-pl/item/78105546-tokai-ls-75-ag-all-gold-p90-1981-rare
Asking: 1800€/2000$

Last edited:

For sale this rare Tokai LS-75 All Gold (had issue to capture the gold colour, I'd say the first pic shows it closest to how it looks in real).
Nice weight - just below 3,9 kg/8.6 lbs.
Guitar is in overall great condition, finish is almost perfect, all issues are shown on photos.
It sounds powerfull, great sustain and feel. At the moment pickups are out of phase so you get a unique tone in the middle posistion.
Neck is on the thicker side, it's a bit warped, it's not dramatic (pics can't show it) and at the circa 1.7 mm action there is no buzz.
Tuners have been replaced as well as the truss rod cover. Pickguard is not original, should be treated as a bonus.
Comes with a brand new hardcase.
More pics:
https://reverb.com/en-pl/item/78105546-tokai-ls-75-ag-all-gold-p90-1981-rareAsking: 2000€/2200$

Apologies if my novice guitar knowledge makes this a irrelevant question,but why would anyone pay over £2000 for a guitar with a twisted neck.

Apologies if my novice guitar knowledge makes this a irrelevant question,but why would anyone pay over £2000 for a guitar with a twisted neck.

Well...

- 2000€ is circa £1700...(it's written: more pics - link to reverb. Not for price, just for pics). Who buys thru reverb? I never,

- this neck is not twisted,

- did you notice that not perfectly flat necks on vintage guitars (especially tokais) happen quite often? I did. Had 3 vintage tokais with necks with issues, and 1 modern one, high end model with brazilian (or jacaranda, haha) fretboard. I have read about at least few others tokais with not perfect necks and I thought this issue is somehow commonly known.
Point is many guitarist don't even notice stuff like that, they prefer higher string action where you can't even notice it. I always mention things like that (in 2 cases friends who got those guitars from me said that if I wouldn't mention this they wouldn't even notice, but I try to be fair). Many guys out there that list "their" guitars: a) don't give a **** about things like that, b) have not enough knowledge to see this kind of issues.
If you would meassure necks precisely I assure you that A LOT of them aren't dead straight.

- you can do something with neck with problems - level frets, eventually refret and flatten the fretboard. You can't change things like weight or original lacquer inb almost perfect condition ;)

- if you would have some funds and a 1959 Les Paul would show for sale, with a not perfect neck - would you consider buying it ;)?

Yes why would I pay for a guitar with imperfections

Well, I have to give credit to the seller because they did state, "Neck is on the thicker side, it's a bit warped (pics can't show it) ....... "

I have owned guitars with, "imperfections" and I actually don't recall any guitar I have owned that was perfect. :D

From my own experience dealing with guitars over a nearly five decade time frame it is not unheard of to see an example with a slight 'twist' or a 'warp' of the neck. A truss rod would typically address any minor warping issue. I have never seen a guitar neck with a twist that was enough of an issue to make the guitar unplayable. I had an old Burny RLG that had a slight twist that resulted in the neck being in a slightly 'forward' state on the bass side of the neck from the nut area up to the first 2 to 3 frets. The twist was subtle but it was there yet this phenomena actually was not a big deal at all. Also, some folks confuse the concept of a 'twist' and a 'warp' and they are different. Generally each are fairly minor in nature but once in a blue moon these issues may require the attention of a luthier but I don't believe that is at all common.

I think he was being overly inclusive to avoid potential issues. More than most sellers would share I would say.

I know a thing or two about selling; buying also. I suppose one has to purchase in order to sell?
The first guitar I sold was about 47 years back in my history.
I didn't purchase the guitar to sell it. I bought it to play but the younger brother of one of my high school friends bugged me for two years to sell him the guitar; a mid 1970s Ibanez Flying V.
After two years of being pestered by the guy I finally asked him what he would offer me for the Flying V. He offered me double what I paid for the guitar, we made the deal and I was 'hooked' on selling at the age of 17.
By the time I was 20 years of age I had sold several guitars and a couple of amps.

Most buyers are pretty cool and I go out of my way and typically offer the most OCD level of description but even then, every once in a while I have had a buyer actually complain about a 'known' issue aka something that I pointed out in the description. I guess that's just goes with the territory; a stray buyer here or there attempting to take advantage of a seller.
Once I sold a guitar to a buyer and the guitar was about as close to perfect as possible; a very high end, high dollar example at that. When the buyer took delivery of the guitar he claimed the nut was cracked, which it was not cracked, provided no proof of his claim to me, nor to Reverb. I ended up negotiating with the buyer and I took a $100 loss just to get that ***hole outta my hair. He won't ever purchase from me again. LOL

Some folks may believe selling is all fun and cool but it's over rated IMO but I've been doing it for nearly five decades and likely won't stop. Most buyers are cool but putting a real listing together with halfway decent quality photos, producing the verbiage to accurately describe any example, taking the time to actually discern the overall attributes of any example, etc., all of that takes quite a bit of time and effort.
As you imply most sellers just post a few crappy photos and the verbiage is something like, "this is a guitar." :ROFLMAO:

From what I’ve seen Homeras is a straight up guy who has owned some of the most amazing guitars I’ve seen. I think he was being overly inclusive to avoid potential issues. More than most sellers would share I would say.
Thank You ;)

Most buyers are pretty cool and I go out of my way and typically offer the most OCD level of description but even then, every once in a while I have had a buyer actually complain about a 'known' issue aka something that I pointed out in the description. I guess that's just goes with the territory; a stray buyer here or there attempting to take advantage of a seller.
You don't see often description of guitar for sale that superb as @guitar hiro provides!

To address the slight warpage, I have a 1980 LS80 and the headstock it tilted, neck part is straight. The guitar plays like butter and I could care less about the headstock being warped. I am sure this guitar probably has the same issue, and it would not scare me at all, especially being much cheaper than others listed. It is quite rare and someone should jump on this.

Back