Need help picking a Greco. 850 or 1000

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love those fat necks....
:D :D

although you have the option of an 850 or a 1000, if a 1200 was available, I would personally go for that, there something very special about those guitars..

villager said:

my Bacchus BLS-59 has the same FAT neck as my 1980 EGF-850 & 1980 EGF-1000 had :D

add in the tall frets & the Bacchus is an amazing monster player 8)

it's a real shame that these are so difficult to source; they are beyond amazing

MIJvintage said:
villager said:

my Bacchus BLS-59 has the same FAT neck as my 1980 EGF-850 & 1980 EGF-1000 had :D

it's a real shame that these are so difficult to source; they are beyond amazing

I've had a BLS-59V and there is no comparison with an old Greco EGF, the Bacchus LP's are great guitars, very well put together, but the old wood magic is missing, as is the FEB, superb pickups, braz board, Abalone inlays, ....

JohnA said:
MIJvintage said:
villager said:

I've had a BLS-59V and there is no comparison with an old Greco EGF, the Bacchus LP's are great guitars, very well put together, but the old wood magic is missing, as is the FEB, superb pickups, braz board, Abalone inlays, ....

that may generally be true ...............

I judge every guitar that I own with a demanding set of requirements; they all have to meet a very high bar.

the BLS-59 that I have is one of those instruments that not only meets but exceeds the high expectations that I place on any given guitar.

Having said that, my taste in guitars, and in the specs of guitars that I own & play has over time evolved.
My current taste & requirements from my guitars are more inline with functional & musical attributes, rather than looking nice & having high spec attributes.
I don't require a Braz' board but sure, they're a nice spec item.
I don't require FEB, another nice spec item; it is one of the details I like about Burnys.
I'm not a big fan of fancy inlays, and the BLS-59 has my preference in inlays; plain old acetate, just like the old Gibbys.
Again, pickups are the easier bit in the equation; they can readily be changed.
Old wood is quite another story, as only time will take care of that part of the equation.

Old wood is about the only attribute the BLS currently does not have, that I would like it to have.
A guitar that is crafted from quality materials, utilizing quality methods of construction, and that is taken care of will over time, become 'old wood'.
The BLS will eventually be old wood but it really is currently such a stellar example that I really don't need time to enhance it; it is that good now.
If I am lucky, I will remain the owner of this incredible guitar for many years to come, and time will eventually grace the BLS with the old wood advantage.
If & when that time comes, I will be even more impressed with this guitar than I am currently, which is nearly impossible to believe possible.

I bet your BLS-59V doesn't have worn frets and wobbly tuners either :wink: Ah! the joys of old guitars!

MIJvintage said:
JohnA said:
MIJvintage said:
villager said:

that may generally be true ...............

I judge every guitar that I own with a demanding set of requirements; they all have to meet a very high bar.

the BLS-59 that I have is one of those instruments that not only meets but exceeds the high expectations that I place on any given guitar.

Having said that, my taste in guitars, and in the specs of guitars that I own & play has over time evolved.
My current taste & requirements from my guitars are more inline with functional & musical attributes, rather than looking nice & having high spec attributes.
I don't require a Braz' board but sure, they're a nice spec item.
I don't require FEB, another nice spec item; it is one of the details I like about Burnys.
I'm not a big fan of fancy inlays, and the BLS-59 has my preference in inlays; plain old acetate, just like the old Gibbys.
Again, pickups are the easier bit in the equation; they can readily be changed.
Old wood is quite another story, as only time will take care of that part of the equation.

Old wood is about the only attribute the BLS currently does not have, that I would like it to have.
A guitar that is crafted from quality materials, utilizing quality methods of construction, and that is taken care of will over time, become 'old wood'.
The BLS will eventually be old wood but it really is currently such a stellar example that I really don't need time to enhance it; it is that good now.
If I am lucky, I will remain the owner of this incredible guitar for many years to come, and time will eventually grace the BLS with the old wood advantage.
If & when that time comes, I will be even more impressed with this guitar than I am currently, which is nearly impossible to believe possible.

very well put Rich, my sentiments also..

I currently have 3 exceptional new guitars, and the only thing I could want for them is age, which will come.
(I have of course already bent one tuner on each of them to help the ageing) :D :eek:

The problem with waiting for guitars to age, is the head start I have on most of them :wink:

EGF-1200's are expensive (but worth it IMO) but there's plenty of good old wood at realistic prices, LS80's, Navigators and some Burny's all have the magic that was missing from my BLS, I couldn't fault the guitar though it just lacked that certain je ne se quois!

JohnA said:
I bet your BLS-59V doesn't have worn frets and wobbly tuners either :wink: Ah! the joys of old guitars!

It?s actually a BLS-59, according to the warranty card.

LOL, no, it does not; it does have, ?those ****** green tuners like Tokai MiC/MiK? :lol: as TF member Ozeshin stated, and they stay in tune incredibly well.

I have a very few ?old wood? Les Pauls that I kept around but I am thinning the herd.
They have the, ?worn frets and wobbly tuners? and they are awesome guitars.

As much as I do like the old wood vibe, it's really nice to have the BLS-59 around because it gives me a different perspective on my small collection.

AFA my most recent acquisition, it's also newer wood but a fantastic find :D
The two tuner screws on every one of the tuners on the Shimamura History Las Vegas model that I recently purchased were all loose.
I loaded up all twelve screw holes with as much tooth pick ends as I could shove in each hole.
I then replaced all six tuners, and that guitar has the same level of tuning stability as my LS-320, and my BLS-59.
I was gone for X-Mas for over a week, and when I returned the History was still in exact & precise tuning.
With the exception of the playability, the History is right there along side the BLS in overall musical quality, and that's with a two piece body back, and at half the price 8)
The History is an extreme 'sleeper' Les Paul :D

MIJvintage said:
villager said:
you do worry about it, your always slagging off veneer tops, and I think unjustly so, so you dislike them so much you will not own one, thats your choice, but other people, including myself happen to think they are GREAT..heh

i never seen a delaminated one as I have my guitars checked in Japan before the are sent to me, but of all the auctions I have seen, overall, there are very few examples that are delaminated .

heh were going off topic again...

I don't believe I have stated my dislike for veneer tops any more than another TF member has stated his consternation for Gary Moore :lol:

yes, we are getting off topic; Doug, go with the EGF-850 if you must have a Greco veneer top, why?
The EGF-850, EGF-1000, and EGF-1200 are all basically the same guitar, with the exception of the pickups.
The PU-2 pickups in the 850 sound waaaay better than the DiMarzios and why pay more for basically the same guitar :wink:
Also, why pay $2K to $3K more for an EGF-1200 just for a set of Dry Zs that you can buy for $600 :wink: when the PU-2s sound just about as good as the Dry Zs :-?

IMO, AFA as the EGF-850, 1000 & 1200 are concerned, the best value is the 850, by far.

Now you have your answer Doug :D .....................

villager said:
I agree go for the 850..

Thank you guys... that's why I like this place!!! It's like sitting around having beers, arguing things out, and coming to friendly agreements... cheers!

Now... what say ye between a LS-80 and an 850... right about the same prices 8) I would be changing pups in the Tokai btw.

Oh, and agreed re: DiMarzios... never been a fan, and I would like to try out the PU-2's.

I don't want to open up the pro/con veneer topic again, BUT I do have a question concerning the top on the 850.... take a look at the closeup pix of the top, and read the description. I would not think it would be an issue being it is so far centered and away from the binding...?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220531945232&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3pupLPC said:
MIJvintage said:
villager said:
you do worry about it, your always slagging off veneer tops, and I think unjustly so, so you dislike them so much you will not own one, thats your choice, but other people, including myself happen to think they are GREAT..heh

i never seen a delaminated one as I have my guitars checked in Japan before the are sent to me, but of all the auctions I have seen, overall, there are very few examples that are delaminated .

I don't believe I have stated my dislike for veneer tops any more than another TF member has stated his consternation for Gary Moore :lol:

yes, we are getting off topic; Doug, go with the EGF-850 if you must have a Greco veneer top, why?
The EGF-850, EGF-1000, and EGF-1200 are all basically the same guitar, with the exception of the pickups.
The PU-2 pickups in the 850 sound waaaay better than the DiMarzios and why pay more for basically the same guitar :wink:
Also, why pay $2K to $3K more for an EGF-1200 just for a set of Dry Zs that you can buy for $600 :wink: when the PU-2s sound just about as good as the Dry Zs :-?

IMO, AFA as the EGF-850, 1000 & 1200 are concerned, the best value is the 850, by far.

villager said:
I agree go for the 850..

Thank you guys... that's why I like this place!!! It's like sitting around having beers, arguing things out, and coming to friendly agreements... cheers!

Now... what say ye between a LS-80 and an 850... right about the same prices 8) I would be changing pups in the Tokai btw.

Oh, and agreed re: DiMarzios... never been a fan, and I would like to try out the PU-2's.

IMO, if you want a fatter/thicker neck, then go wit the EGF

If you want a more overall correct guitar, I would say go with the LS-80.
The EGF line has a cutaway & the smaller bout that both are incorrect AFA the lines; the cutaway is smaller/missing material in the inner radius & the smaller bout is cut shallow coming into the upper waist.
These two incorrect 'lines' on the EGF series were corrected on the later Mint Collection Les Pauls :D

3pupLPC said:
I don't want to open up the pro/con veneer topic again, BUT I do have a question concerning the top on the 850.... take a look at the closeup pix of the top, and read the description. I would not think it would be an issue being it is so far centered and away from the binding...?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220531945232&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the description states, "minor cracks in the veneer top"

from my experience not only with guitars but with wood working & wood products in general, a veneer material that developes this type of issue is just waiting to increase it's territory on whatever the item is; a piece of furniture, a guitar, whatever.

It will only be a matter of time before the crack gains more area.

That is just what veneers do.

You will be walking a fine line AFA the cosmetics of the top but if you don't mind that, then it's not an issue.

MIJvintage said:
3pupLPC said:

the description states, "minor cracks in the veneer top"

from my experience not only with guitars but with wood working & wood products in general, a veneer material that developes this type of issue is just waiting to increase it's territory on whatever the item is; a piece of furniture, a guitar, whatever.

It will only be a matter of time before the crack gains more area.

That is just what veneers do.

You will be walking a fine line AFA the cosmetics of the top but if you don't mind that, then it's not an issue.

Thanks Rich.

MIJvintage said:
3pupLPC said:
MIJvintage said:
villager said:

villager said:
I agree go for the 850..

IMO, if you want a fatter/thicker neck, then go wit the EGF

If you want a more overall correct guitar, I would say go with the LS-80.
The EGF line has a cutaway & the smaller bout that both are incorrect AFA the lines; the cutaway is smaller/missing material in the inner radius & the smaller bout is cut shallow coming into the upper waist.

I forgot about the bouts on the Greco's...

Latest posts

Back