Zakk Wylde Tokai ? from Canada?? Sure look nice....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your back will hurt one week after carrying all the beer for this animal :) Same with your head if he wants to share :x

fonusbak said:
There you go, I re-listed it. Hopefully I've made the point about its origins clear and suggested anyone interested reads this Forum.

As I said many, many thanks for pointing out the issue to me I appreciate it.

I want to commend you for having a super attitude about this whole affair. Really good take on life.

Welcome to the forum!

Mick51 said:
fonusbak said:
There you go, I re-listed it. Hopefully I've made the point about its origins clear and suggested anyone interested reads this Forum.

As I said many, many thanks for pointing out the issue to me I appreciate it.

I want to commend you for having a super attitude about this whole affair. Really good take on life.

Welcome to the forum!

+1 - they don't always end up this nicely. Good luck on the auction!!!

So, was there a decision on what this was? I also have one, but someone added some Gibson details, and active EMGs. Whatever it is....it plays ,and sounds great.

gtrplayr1976 said:
So, was there a decision on what this was? I also have one, but someone added some Gibson details, and active EMGs. Whatever it is....it plays ,and sounds great.
Oh yeah...the decision is easy...Tokai have NEVER built a Zakk Wylde model.
If they DID...Mick would be all over it like white on rice..!!!! :D

:roll: where is mick lately? not seeing much......
has he ever wanted an epiphone zakk les paul????

Mick's pc blew up last week so he's not able to visit the forums at the moment...I may have to drive down and get it up and running for him this weekend I think.

Ozeshin said:
Mick's pc blew up last week so he's not able to visit the forums at the moment...I may have to drive down and get it up and running for him this weekend I think.

8) only his PC? or the whole his house??? i hope his sunglasses are ok!

Morning All!
...and hello from Hamburg.
I relisted the guitar and - apart from the usual "will you sell it for ?1" emails - got no bids. Thats fine, I don't mind. While the auction was on I had the guitar out and played it more than I have since I got it...and figured that, despite its dubious origins, it's actually pretty good...so I'll keep it - possibly upgrading the pick ups.

fonusbak said:
Morning All!
...and hello from Hamburg.
I relisted the guitar and - apart from the usual "will you sell it for ?1" emails - got no bids. Thats fine, I don't mind. While the auction was on I had the guitar out and played it more than I have since I got it...and figured that, despite its dubious origins, it's actually pretty good...so I'll keep it - possibly upgrading the pick ups.
Good for you mate....we've always said that some of these fakai look really well constructed and yours seems better than most.
I'd recommend a set of EMG-HZ pickups.
They LOOK like the ones in Zakk"s guitar but they're a passive pickup rather than active.

Good tip!
I'll probably get away with doing that as Mrs Carter won't notice...or be half as mad as she was picking up my new Greco Zemaitis from the Post Office last week...muttering the words "unauthorised purchase"

Domestic credit in minus figures yet again!

Ozeshin said:
gtrplayr1976 said:
Oh yeah...the decision is easy...Tokai have NEVER built a Zakk Wylde model.
If they DID...Mick would be all over it like white on rice..!!!! :D

I kind of figured that part, but was there any idea of WHAT it is? I've seen a couple of les paul copies with the same dimple in the headstock. One was Hohner.
Here are a few pix of mine.

P4190029.jpg

P4190028.jpg

P4190037.jpg

P4190034.jpg

Impressive!

Perfectly demonstrates the thing I struggle to understand too.

If these guitars were made by some devious types out to rip people off - why bother putting fake "Tokai" decals on it?

Surely their market value would be increased with the Gibson logos??

I guess until the people that actually made them break cover and say why they did it we'll never know.

AHHHHH gtrplayr1976 yours is one of the "Chinese Gibsons" :roll:
Did you buy it new?
Did it come in a carton?
I gotta say they look damned good...the dimpled headstock is used by a few different builders to avoid the Gibson issues...but in your case they go and slap a HUGE Gibson logo all over it...lol.
If you were a Zakk Wylde fan I don't see why you wouldn't consider one of these...
I own a Michael Schenker Maya Vee(MiJ around 1980) and I bought it purely and simply coz I was a HUGE fan.
Sure..it's not a Gibson...but it looks exactly like his black and white vee's from the '80's.

fonusbak said:
Impressive!

Perfectly demonstrates the thing I struggle to understand too.

If these guitars were made by some devious types out to rip people off - why bother putting fake "Tokai" decals on it?

Surely their market value would be increased with the Gibson logos??

I guess until the people that actually made them break cover and say why they did it we'll never know.

Its easy to understand, if the bloke who had these made {and i am sick of saying it,there is NO IF about it} put Gibson on the headstock, Gibson would have sued the arse off them....Its as simple as that. Tokai are a relatively small company and already have there market sorted out, these guitars have been only a nuisance to them and apparently it was the Tokai president that put a stop to them being made by confronting the factory owner from Korea, at a guitar expo and simply asking him to cease production. That one you show in the pics is made in China.

Mick

Ozeshin said:
AHHHHH gtrplayr1976 yours is one of the "Chinese Gibsons" :roll:
Did you buy it new?
Did it come in a carton?
I gotta say they look damned good...the dimpled headstock is used by a few different builders to avoid the Gibson issues...but in your case they go and slap a HUGE Gibson logo all over it...lol.
If you were a Zakk Wylde fan I don't see why you wouldn't consider one of these...
I own a Michael Schenker Maya Vee(MiJ around 1980) and I bought it purely and simply coz I was a HUGE fan.
Sure..it's not a Gibson...but it looks exactly like his black and white vee's from the '80's.
No...not one of the Chinese. It had the Tokai logo, but was replaced with the Gibson . It's actually a vinyl decal that has been clear coated. The guy I got it from did the work. personally , I would have used the waterslide decal. If done right they look good. I'm a huge Schenker fan also. Saw him with UFO 1977. Changed me forever. What a show.

I'm a huge Schenker fan also. Saw him with UFO 1977. Changed me forever. What a show.
mixed021uo4.jpg

mixed019fa4.jpg

One of these days I'll put the standard tailpiece back on.
UPDATE:
Just bought a Gibson tailpiece from a 1979 Vee from Ebay. 8)

gtrplayr1976 said:
good. I'm a huge Schenker fan also. Saw him with UFO 1977. Changed me forever. What a show.

I have to agree :D

I saw Rush as a headliner in October 1977 in Shreveport, La., touring in support of 'A Farewell To Kings' :)
The support band was UFO 8) , touring in support of 'Lights Out' which was released in May 1977.

It was one of the best shows EVER.

Been a huge MS fan ever since and recently acquired this :D
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14243
:D :D :D ................
MSV850frtfull111.jpg

Back