vol/tone pot question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennzo5150

Reaction score
hi i'm looking too upgrade my vol/tone pots on my 2007 loverock ls-85vf. so do i need too go with long or short shafts? and does any one know how too get the knobs off with out wrecking them ? any help would be cool.

I wouldnt bother - the tone pots are perfectly adequate on the MIJ LS's - there is no real benefit to upgrading them in terms of sound. If you are a tinkerer (and who isn't), the best way to get stubborn knobs off is to wrap an old t-shirt/piece of cloth firmly round the base of the knob and pull up/work it off gently, and I think it would be short shaft pots. You would also need to be careful to get the correct diameter pots unless you don't doing some woodwork on your Love Rock. I'd just leave them.

The ones that are in there are excellent quality so if you're looking for improvements in tone you're unlikely to get much better. CTS, the typical replacement, tend to have very stiff movement so you need to be sure that's what you want if you're going for them.

Having said that I'm all in favour of replacing the linear taper tone controls with audio/log taper for superior response, so you'll need short shaft pots. Be prepared to widen the pot holes with a hand reamer if you get CTS or similar.

I agree with the others that there's no need to replace them. I also agree that CTS pots are over-rated & too stiff (though some people prefer that, for some reason). So if you must replace them, use Alpha pots - then you won't have to enlarge the holes.

To remove the knobs, wrap a shoelace (or piece of string) around the underside of the knob and pull gently upwards. The lace helps you to get an even pull.

Mike

On guitars where I have changed to CTS pots I found the guitar sounded better so I'd go for it ! Get the metric versions ie ones that aren't listed as USA thread or for Gibsons.

Yes CTS pots are stiffer to operate especially with top hat knobs. If you change to speed knobs you'll be fine. More diameter at the top edge makes it turn easier. Make sure you get knobs with metric splines also.

While you are in there I'd put a couple of orange drop caps in too!

I find the knobs a bit sloppy on my LS80 and have been working up to changing to CTS which I like on my LS150 and Gibson LP.

hey thanks for the responses. i do love the action of the original pots,**** smooth i must say. but i was thinking of goin with cts pots and luxe caps. i'm kinda goin for a 59 look and feel on my guitar.

kennzo5150 said:
hey thanks for the responses. i do love the action of the original pots,**** smooth i must say. but i was thinking of goin with cts pots and luxe caps. i'm kinda goin for a 59 look and feel on my guitar.

If your making a 59er I can recommend changing the tailpiece to an aluminium one. Helps with the weight and changes the tone slightly. I think mine was a Gotoh part I got for my LS80.
I guess you could go all the way and get the Gotoh aluminium bridge with the brass saddles like on the LS150's - I've not found the right one yet though.

kennzo5150 said:

Don't buy Luxe caps, they're sooo expensive. Check ebay for Russian PIOs, these are the same as Luxe at a third of the money

i have already changed the tailpiece too aluminum. gonna change it again too a more vintage looking one soon. thanks for the heads up on the russian caps, i will look into it.

kennzo5150 said:
i have already changed the tailpiece too aluminum. gonna change it again too a more vintage looking one soon. thanks for the heads up on the russian caps, i will look into it.

here you go..

http://cgi.ebay.nl/K40Y-9-Paper-Oil-Capacitor-Cap-0-022-uF-400V-PIO-/260642213636?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories

and these are amazing:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Mullard-Phillips-Mustard-Capacitor-0-022-uf-160v-NOS-/290418257684?pt=AU_Electronics_Vintage_Electronics

Latest posts

Back