Production Process and Codes On ST Bolt On Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where id you find that image?

Similar to the Drowning in Guitars pic I shared above.

16136-deab6bb4e8fedb04691e2c9c02277f3d.png

What might that relate to?

Add 3.3 in the pic I shared?

I needed to enlarge your picture so I can see it better.

Trying to read what is on the attached sheets of paper.

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 6.43.34 PM.png

I saved pics from the site and increased the resolution.

Can see the numbers a little better.

宮地楽器 神田店

20121230_425782.jpg

Attachments

• 20121230_425783.jpg
    20121230_425783.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20121230_425784.jpg
    20121230_425784.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20121230_425794.jpg
    20121230_425794.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 0
  • 20121230_425802.jpg
    20121230_425802.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
With the possibility of the ST codes being #Month = #Order of that month ..... it might be worth logging known codes against year of manufacture

In the period that Tokai appeared to be making a lot of guitars up to 82 and later in the 80s, you would expect to find examples of higher 2nd number eg 5=30 (30th order of May) whereas 1982/83 guitars may show a lack of higher 2nd numbers reflecting a lack of orders due to the customs issues. Obviously a 6=60 block logo would blow that theory out of the water but I've never seen a block logo with the 2nd number over 12. There's an 82 spag logo guitar bought in Japan with code 11=13 (L04352) but that would be a Japanese order.

Two codes on the same guitar - maybe borrowing from other orders.

The guitar below is the 81 serial block logo 1=1
First order of Jan 82 - would explain why it still has the 81 serial.

https://www.tokaiforum.com/threads/metallic-green-gallery.26372/post-205665

Last edited:
And different than the one in the control cavity.

JB120

Jacaranda code on the neck

IMG_8934.jpeg
IMG_8935.jpeg
IMG_8933.jpeg

I think the K stamp may mean cashew. Not sure why the neck doesn't have it though?

A is lacquer I believe.

J may mean Jacaranda instead of Jaco?

Neck swap? Special order change?

April and then May when the latest stamp on the body was done. The cashew process is lengthy, but again not sure why the neck has a different finish apparently?

1981 Tokai Jazz Sound jb120 fender 1964 replica jv bass lawsuit era vintage brazilian rosewood mij flagship | Reverb

Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.55.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.44 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.20 AM.png
    574.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.39 AM.png
    604.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.34 AM.png
    582.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.29 AM.png
    563.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.15 AM.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.10 AM.png
    319.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 10.54.06 AM.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Also, if the second number is an order, then why does this one guitar have 3 different ones if it was built together? 3, 4, and 12.

And if it is wood lots, why does the body have two different ones?? 3 and 12 ??

It all reminds me of this 1979 ST100 of mine.

These are some big clues as to what this second number is.

IMG_9846_zps3c56226a.JPG
IMG_9874.JPG

I think the K stamp may mean cashew. Not sure why the neck doesn't have it though?

A is lacquer I believe.

J may mean Jacaranda instead of Jaco?

Neck swap? Special order change?

April and then May when the latest stamp on the body was done. The cashew process is lengthy, but again not sure why the neck has a different finish apparently?

1981 Tokai Jazz Sound jb120 fender 1964 replica jv bass lawsuit era vintage brazilian rosewood mij flagship | Reverb

View attachment 39420
View attachment 39421
View attachment 39419
Body left over from a previous order for some reason? Stamped a new code where there was space when mated next April with a new neck?

Maybe adding to codes was just updating them and looked better and less hassle than crossing them out.

Notice that my neck has two. Stamped at the same time it looks like.

This Breezy has a different "lot" number in the neck PU cavity (10=9) than in the control cavity (10=8) too. The neck is stamped 10=6 though, and it has what looks like a K (but that would be upside down).

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 22.26.58.jpg

Either that's not a K (probably not), or K doesn't mean Cashew, because if you look at the guitar (it's a TE70 and check the binding color) it doesn't have a Cashew finish.

That multiple "lot code" thing seems to have happened seldomly, so it could just be a neat way of correcting an error indeed - otherwise it could mean that the whole "lot" idea/information from Tokai is either bogus or we obviously don't have the right idea what the (S.Adachi) meant by "lot". Duh! :)

If it doesn't refer to an obscure (and meaningless) internal logistics thing anyway - I have mentioned that in some lengthy speculation post before - it could make a little more sense if the number meant "customer" (store, store chain, distributor, importer...) rather than "order number", but ATO mentioned that the numbers go pretty high on some UK market guitars, and there was only one importer/distributor in the UK? Would they have collected orders from UK stores until a container was filled or a certain number of guitars was reached, or would they have ordered them separately in Japan so they got different order numbers and were shipped separately?

(I wish we could get a hold of Eric Dixon and ask him a couple of questions)

These slips could be directly related to that. I've tried half of the evening to figure out what the last character in the second column could mean and couldn't find it, that could contain a deciding clue. The number preceding it could relate to the "lot" number.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 22.50.44.jpg

If you look at the whole image and check the wood around the bottom strap pin hole, it looks like "1/2" and "2/2" mean "1-piece body, 2-piece top" and "2-piece body, 2-piece top".

This Breezy has a different "lot" number in the neck PU cavity (10=9) than in the control cavity (10=8) too. The neck is stamped 10=6 though, and it has what looks like a K (but that would be upside down).

View attachment 39434

Either that's not a K (probably not), or K doesn't mean Cashew, because if you look at the guitar (it's a TE70 and check the binding color) it doesn't have a Cashew finish.

That multiple "lot code" thing seems to have happened seldomly, so it could just be a neat way of correcting an error indeed - otherwise it could mean that the whole "lot" idea/information from Tokai is either bogus or we obviously don't have the right idea what the (S.Adachi) meant by "lot". Duh! :)

If it doesn't refer to an obscure (and meaningless) internal logistics thing anyway - I have mentioned that in some lengthy speculation post before - it could make a little more sense if the number meant "customer" (store, store chain, distributor, importer...) rather than "order number", but ATO mentioned that the numbers go pretty high on some UK market guitars, and there was only one importer/distributor in the UK? Would they have collected orders from UK stores until a container was filled or a certain number of guitars was reached, or would they have ordered them separately in Japan so they got different order numbers and were shipped separately?

(I wish we could get a hold of Eric Dixon and ask him a couple of questions)
That is not a K..... Or more specifically not a K stamp. So apples and oranges.

My Cashew finished TE120 has a K stamp. I have seen others. I think it is cashew, but still looking for examples.

IMG_7728.JPG

Last edited:
I personally don't think the second number is a customer order number. If it were one guitar would not be on two orders for two different customers.

Similarly, I don't think it refers to a lot of wood. Again, a one piece neck cannot be from two different piece of wood.

I think it has to be something related to process. As in steps in a process or department or work team or something like that.

As an aside, when I was in business school in the 80s there was a lot of focus on Japanese business practices. A huge part of it was work groups or teams. Something I had not considered until now. It is a way of taking ownership and ensuring quality over quantity as well as taking accountability.

The mystery of the second number is still unresolved in my opinion.

I personally don't think the second number is a customer order number. If it were one guitar would not be on two orders for two different customers.
I see what you mean but at the same time these are oddities that occur in a very small amount of stamps that we've seen. The bulk orders from Blue Suede can clearly be seen and the codes can be predicted from serials as there was just one importer.

The codes clump together 11=12 and 12=6 in 1982, 5=12 in 1983. Prob 10=6 in 1981. These are all guitars imported into the UK at the same time.

There must have been errors and parts borrowed from other orders and the odd stamps may be a result.

I haven't seen high 2nd numbers in the UK, from what I've seen the high ones are mainly 1978 guitars and likely to be domestic Japanese sales.

Can't see that we'll find out for sure unless someone turns up who actually knows.

haven't seen high 2nd numbers in the UK, from what I've seen the high ones are mainly 1978 guitars and likely to be domestic Japanese sales.
Yeah I probably cross-wired 2 separate posts of yours in my brain, 1981 has one =50 (!) and there are =40 and =42 in other years.

Neither do I, I just tried to speculate more on what could be an explanation for 2 different numbers (or even 3!) showing up on the same guitar, and I was hoping it was obvious that I'm only juggling ideas there.

That the "lot" number(s) is(are) on the guitar in first place only looks like it must have something to do with the production and specification, I think that's the whole basis for the idea that it may be connected with specific orders (or customers), so they know "this neck was produced for this order and is meant to have these features" etc.

My initial idea for the double numbers (posted a few months ago) was that production for specific orders could be bundled, particularly if they are consecutive or amended orders for the same customer. So the double stamp (or the '&' between lot numbers) connects these separate orders for production and delivery to the same recipient.

(Didn't just someone notice that they're often only one number apart?)

The "customer number" theory would actually be completely bogus because if parts production for specific customers would've been bundled I would assume that there would be much more of these double numbers, and then there should be also triple, quadruple... numbers (because they all order the same guitars).

But what happened when the guitars were assembled and the numbers no longer visible? How did they know which guitar was for which order then? I have not specifically studied the factory images for signs of tags etc. identifying guitars but I don't remember seeing anything like this I think?

Back