Is the ls-85Q much better than say a ls-65 or an ls-75?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually I've found a difference, the number of pieces used for the body back... so now my questions is why does a 85Q cost 85000 yen and a 70 cost 70000. 15000 based on appearence???? I'm mean there's got to be something else right?

bruno said:
actually I've found a difference, the number of pieces used for the body back... so now my questions is why does a 85Q cost 85000 yen and a 70 cost 70000. 15000 based on appearence???? I'm mean there's got to be something else right?

The F and Q both have two piece backs and I believe the plaintop model does too. The one with the solid finishes may have three.

Sorry, but the price difference really is due to cosmetics. They're the exact same guitar under the quilt. Quilted maple is expensive.

But isn't the plain top model the ls-65, that one is advertised as having three piece back I beliece, and know quilted maple is expensive, but we are talking about a very thin veneer on top of regular maple, how espensive can that be, 15000 yen??? I doubt it...

Back when I got my Tokai, the LS65 (now LS70) was advertised as having a 'two or three piece back' by Guitar Universe. I don't know if that's (still) true, but Paladin is right: aside from that, they're exactly the same guitar.

I believe what paladin says, even because I've read it in mny other places, I'm just having a hard time believe that people who have a ls-85Q for example, and paid 85000 for it, could have the same guitar for 65000 or so... does this make sense?

bruno said:
I believe what paladin says, even because I've read it in mny other places, I'm just having a hard time believe that people who have a ls-85Q for example, and paid 85000 for it, could have the same guitar for 65000 or so... does this make sense?

Some people really like quilted maple.

lol, that's a good point, but it's not even a real quilted maple top, I mean it's better than a photo finish, but it's still not hard quilted maple it's a very thin veneer, and you are paying 20000 yen (almost $200 dollars)...

I just noticed this because I'm on my way to buy a love rock, but I'm going for a model with no veneer in this case... much chepear, good looking and still the same guitar...

bruno said:
lol, that's a good point, but it's not even a real quilted maple top, I mean it's better than a photo finish, but it's still not hard quilted maple it's a very thin veneer, and you are paying 20000 yen (almost $200 dollars)...

You're still getting the look. And since figuring has no effect on tone, it doesn't really need to be solid. And let's face it, how much is a similar quilt-top Gibson Les Paul going to cost?

Another thing to consider is that the Q models have no pickguard and are available in unique finishes.

exactly there are no tone differences and the "look" sure doesn't come with a 200 dollar price tag, unless you got money to spend like there is no tomorrow... for 200 dollars you can get a new body blank fully routed, so it's not a quilted veneer that will add that price to the guitar, besides from what I see in the catalog, the finishes aren't that unique they're pretty much the options you can get on the other models too...

bruno said:
exactly there are no tone differences and the "look" sure doesn't come with a 200 dollar price tag, unless you got money to spend like there is no tomorrow... for 200 dollars you can get a new body blank fully routed, so it's not a quilted veneer that will add that price to the guitar, besides from what I see in the catalog, the finishes aren't that unique they're pretty much the options you can get on the other models too...

Natural and oak are pretty unique.

I'm sorry, but you've already got your answer. You won't hear anything different from us because there's nothing else to hear (unless you want us to lie). Quilted maple is expensive. Therefore, guitars with quilted maple on them are expensive. Some people are willing to pay for it, some aren't.

What were you expecting to hear?

yeah the oak and natural are unique, I hadn't seen those ones...

I don't want you to make up any facts, and I wasn't expecting to hear anything special, just looking for something that someone might have missed that could justify the price difference, the veneer alone doesn't justify it for sure (even being quilted), so I guess thanks to your precious info, I now know the differences between models and can settle on one to buy.

I'm actually not trying to contradict anything, it's just that me knowing why the price tag of 85q of 80f models, and the diferences with cheaper models enables me to make my choice, that's why I first posted...

I know it may be a bit baffling, but really that's all there is to it. To you, it's a huge and unjustifiable expense. To another, it may be their best and only opportunity to own a QT les paul. There's no accounting for taste, as they say.

If you're not desperate for a figured top les paul, go for the plaintop model. I've always maintained that it's the best value guitar in the main MIJ lineup.

I still have one more question, which would you recomend I go for between ls-65 to ls-75 models, I'm very undecided about wether to get a p-90's gold top or a "violin finish" with buckers...

yeah I know I'm leaning towards a 70 model with buckers, if only I could try one out before buying, anyways, thanks for the help and patience to answer my questions.

I've got the LS-85Q MVF. I did not particularly want a quilted maple laminated top but the guitar looked nice. I has a thinner finish than the other gloss models, a tortise binding, and is very well put together. I know it is a two piece back but I cannot see the seam. It may be this model has a little better grade wood which adds to the cost???

I have no complaints at $700 US including case. My Gibson Historic '60 was about $3600 in comparison.

By the way, I wet sanded the top and then applied a couple of thin coats of nitro (I did not like the flat finish). It looks amazing now. It really brings out the quilt.

thanks for you input, my original idea was that there had to be some more attetion to detail and probably better wood for 85000 yen... but everyone says otherwise. anyway thanks for telling your experience with your 85q... maybe is I can get a second hand one, I'll go for it...

Hey guys,

just got my Love Rock LS70GT!!
Compared to my Epiphone Standard it reeaally nice (since I don't have
no gibson i wouldn't say it's better but the Gibson I played at the guitar stores felt similar in my memory).
Things that I noticed:

- It's damned heavy (4,6 kg which should be about 8,8lbs).
- It obviously has an 18% angle head although it's not "a top model" (like
someone said in the angle head post)
- The head is not as broadly as the one of the Epi (when I look at the
catalogues, the LS80 seems to have a broader head too).

And: Did I missed something in this thread, or am I right that nobody
said anything about the different PUs in LS70, LS80 etc. ?

Greetings from a happy,
RnR-Cannonball :D

Back