What the hell is up with this Greco!!!???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RyanC said:
soundcreation said:
RyanC said:
greco_burst said:
Congratulations RyanC, you have a vey nice guitar there, and in what is really the best year for Greco to me anyway, which is 1980 8)
Thanks and I agree with you! Right now I have three from '80 ... EG800GS, EGC1000 (for sale), EGF1200. All of them are incredible. :D

Selling the Custom already? I guess the 1200 must be great cause I can't imagine getting rid of my custom.

I'm sure I'll regret it. With the 1200 it just seems a little redundant. Plus I'll admit I've got a small case of GAS for a Murphy aged R9. Let the flaming begin! :p

We love solid flames :D

It is interesting though cause I can't imagine that there would be any tonal difference between a solid flame top and a veneer flame top.

Anyone have any input?

Koubayashi said:
We love solid flames :D

It is interesting though cause I can't imagine that there would be any tonal difference between a solid flame top and a veneer flame top.

Anyone have any input?

I don't believe there is any tonal difference between a solid top vs. veneer top

(most) veneer tops look like a mirror image, which looks nothing like a 'burst, which are generally matched more randomly

(most) solid tops on the other hand have much more organic appearing tops; they don?t look so rigid & contrived as the mirror image look of most veneer tops

Also, you will never see a solid top with delamination issues; can't say that for veneer tops .................

RyanC said:
soundcreation said:
RyanC said:
greco_burst said:
Congratulations RyanC, you have a vey nice guitar there, and in what is really the best year for Greco to me anyway, which is 1980 8)
Thanks and I agree with you! Right now I have three from '80 ... EG800GS, EGC1000 (for sale), EGF1200. All of them are incredible. :D

Selling the Custom already? I guess the 1200 must be great cause I can't imagine getting rid of my custom.

I'm sure I'll regret it. With the 1200 it just seems a little redundant. Plus I'll admit I've got a small case of GAS for a Murphy aged R9. Let the flaming begin! :p

LOL...I won't flame you....but you have to put up some clips of your 1000 so I can compare my pickups!...And you'll have something to remember it by!

And yeah the hot licks always amaze me when I play my SG. It is my biggest surprise. I bought the guitar not expecting it to be as great as it turned out to be. And it is practically greco's cheapest model.

RyanC said:
I know there has been some confusion about this, and I guess it's possible some 800's are nitro and some are poly. Who knows. :D

So I was half right about the nitro/poly thing. The back is nitro - see pic of checking. The front is poly - acetone test confirmed it. Could this have been refin'd? Seems odd to do nitro on most of the guitar and then poly over the goldtop.

I'm going to refinish the top with bronze powder/lacquer and have it relic'd to match the rest of the guitar. It just looks too pristine for my taste.

Thoughts?

checking.jpg

Guitar was sent off this week to have the top refin'd. Should be about a month - will post pics when I get her back. :D

It'll be an intereting result. If you don't mind asking is this very costly? I think you stated earlier you were going with bronze powder and nitro.

Dave

The cost for stripping the poly top, refinishing it in bronze powder/nitro and relic'ing the top and headstock is going to be about $450. I sent it to these guys:

www.chicagofretworks.com

They have been really friendly and helpful so far. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it back. Take a look if you get a chance at some of their restorations. The work they've done is absolutely incredible to me.

FWIW, I'm convinced my guitar had been previously refiin'd anyway, the poly top on a nitro finished guitar just made no sense...

wow, with shipping both directions to/back from Chi Town to New England, that should be about half the price of what you have in it already

I hope you like her when she comes back ..................

MIJvintage said:
I hope you like her when she comes back ..................

Me too. Financially, not the smartest thing to do. But as they say, "the heart wants what the heart wants." :D I honestly thought it would cost more. RS was in excess of $1400 to do the whole guitar, but given the natural relic'ing going on everywhere else it seemed silly to strip the whole guitar.

Also, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to a Murphy aged '56 and I'd bet the Greco would smoke it. I do love this guitar.

BTW, anyone have any thoughts on a Greco being originally finished in nitro, but with a poly top like my EG800GS? Seems highly unlikely no?

seems that with all the surprises we have seen with the MIJ stuff, anything is possible

having poly & nitro on the same beast is strange but not beyond the realm of doable ..................

Back