Ok ,,,so who got this one at a very reasonable price???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I think at the time, so many companies started to sprout up and make guitars in Japan just specifically due to a competitive "I can make a better replica than you with more detail and precision" ideal which is awesome compared to the bland..."well we can make a better one for less money and make more profit" capitalist ideal. That 1st ideal is what drove so many of these companies I believe.

Koub...the 1st shot of the Orville is normal...the gap is filled with glue. They all are but they just overshot the tenon width and made it a little too narrow. Does it suck? Sure it does if you take your pup out and look at it all the time BUT I can promise you if you put 20 lbs. of pressure on that Orville neck vs. one that has a tight fit, like an Edwards or Bacchus for example, the Orville would not break or give way at that tenon join. So really, it is all good and that gap is insignificant. Gibson is quite guilty of spotty construction...thus why I gave up on them.

I would think that Kanda Shokai must have been alarmed by the amazing guitars Tokai started putting out in 78-79 and really raised their game to match them starting in '80 with the Suoper Real series and then in 82' with the MC series. I can only guess that Greco probably had the largest share of the US guitar copy market until Tokai came along. In a way it parallels the Japanese car transition from the 70's to the 80's, and also coincides with a huge demographic bulge of post-war Japanese kids. Of course, after everyone raised their game so much, the next step was to cut corners and make more moolah :-?

Udonitron said:
Yeah I think at the time, so many companies started to sprout up and make guitars in Japan just specifically due to a competitive "I can make a better replica than you with more detail and precision" ideal which is awesome compared to the bland..."well we can make a better one for less money and make more profit" capitalist ideal. That 1st ideal is what drove so many of these companies I believe.

Koub...the 1st shot of the Orville is normal...the gap is filled with glue. They all are but they just overshot the tenon width and made it a little too narrow. Does it suck? Sure it does if you take your pup out and look at it all the time BUT I can promise you if you put 20 lbs. of pressure on that Orville neck vs. one that has a tight fit, like an Edwards or Bacchus for example, the Orville would not break or give way at that tenon join. So really, it is all good and that gap is insignificant. Gibson is quite guilty of spotty construction...thus why I gave up on them.

Lesters very rarely break at the joint :wink:
Its not an old SG :D

The issue was that someone complained about foam in the neck pocket on Gibson and I just wanted to show that there is foam in the Japanese neck pockets as well (between the neck and the body).

Foam or glue? Most guitars rarely break at the join, period. Ask a luthier how many times he sees that and I promise you it will be rarely. Headstock breaks is another story

Udonitron said:
Foam or glue? Most guitars rarely break at the join, period. Ask a luthier how many times he sees that and I promise you it will be rarely. Headstock breaks is another story

The earl SGs break at the joint

We are talking Les Paul's here though. SG's are a whole other realm and it makes sense that they do break around the neck. There is only about 4mm of wood on the backside of the pocket and the glue ends up being stronger than the wood surrounding the tenon.

Back