What the hell is up with this Greco!!!???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RyanC said:
Thanks! If the headstock isn't snapped and the truss rod works I'll be happy. :D

I was thinking that maybe it's what you guys were talking about before...they've listed it several times and not gotten the price they wanted so someone they knew "bought" it. Then they re list. I don't know. If that's the case then you probably won't have a problem.

RyanC said:
soundcreation said:
It's a rinkya too...OK who's bidding ?

Guilty. 8)

To Koubayashi's earlier point, we'll see what condition it shows up in - although the seller has over 25,000 positive feedbacks with only 5 negative for lack of description.
As far as the comparison with the Navigator, I personally think it's hard to compare vintage to new, so the mojo factor and the rarity is what drew me in - plus I know I like the EG necks alot. I also think the very low price that Navigator went for should tell you a lot of people had concerns about it's legitimacy - like I said earlier, to me it just wasn't worth it.

I also saved nearly $500 in the end (97,000 yen vs. 139,000 yen)! :D

There you go!! That is what I am talking about. Japanese people don't lie, they just keep silent.

I went to buy a guitar in Japan a while ago and the Japanese buyer said he was busy and couldn't help me, 2 weeks later the guitar {it was a bargain} turned up on his site......... :evil:

Mick

She arrived last week with no problems - other than being the dirtiest guitar I've ever received. Nitro finish has aged nicely. After a thorough cleaning, I took a few pics to share. So far I like it very much. :D

EG800_1.jpg

EG800_2.jpg

EG800_3.jpg

EG800_4.jpg

EG800_5.jpg

Congrats. Do you reallly think it's a nitro finish? I allways thought it was urethane but I never made any tests. Did you noticed the goldtop? It's the only copy with the goldtop like the vintage gibson. :wink:

There's some greenish reflections you don't find usually in the copies. Most of the time it's either gold painting or painting with big gold paillettes. Here it looks like bronze powder like the original.

20 century boy said:
Do you reallly think it's a nitro finish?

Hi - mine is definitely nitro. Also, the Greco catalog from 1980 definitively states nitro finish. See:

nitro.jpg

I know there has been some confusion about this, and I guess it's possible some 800's are nitro and some are poly. Who knows. :D

Hey! Great to hear you got it alright! Looks great. Not to split hairs though but I don't think that board is ebony even if that is what it says. I have to say the way the little paint chips around the edges look..it does look like nitro though.

Looks fantastic. So what do you think of those Hot Lick pickups? As I mentioned before..I have them on an SS500 and think they are just phenomenal sounding.

I'm glad that there was no funny business with it...and it looks like I WON'T be seeing that guitar again...LOL

And by the way.....you really are PUNK!

soundcreation said:
Not to split hairs though but I don't think that board is ebony even if that is what it says.

I totally agree. I was very relieved by that actually, as I generally feel ebony boards only belong on LP customs.

And yes - I am punk! :D

LOvely looking guitar Ryan! I actually like getting a dirty guitar, cleaning it up to reveal a 'looker' is a great feeling!

Looks good!

RyanC said:
I totally agree. I was very relieved by that actually, as I generally feel ebony boards only belong on LP customs.

Not me! I'd put an ebony board on all of mine if I could (I have three guitars with ebony, and love the feeling (and the look))

soundcreation said:
I have an SS500 (sg special) super real with those same "hot licks" pickups and they are quite simply amazing. You'll love them for sure. A P90 LP is still on my list of wants.

BTW - I agree wholeheartedly about the Hot Lick pup's. Admittedly, they are my first P-90's but I can't get over how nice they sound. Very quiet, but full of bite. I love this guitar, as a matter of fact it's getting the most playing time right now - more than my EGF-1200. :eek:

Just somethin' about a goldtop with P-90's...

RyanC said:
soundcreation said:
I have an SS500 (sg special) super real with those same "hot licks" pickups and they are quite simply amazing. You'll love them for sure. A P90 LP is still on my list of wants.

BTW - I agree wholeheartedly about the Hot Lick pup's. Admittedly, they are my first P-90's but I can't get over how nice they sound. Very quiet, but full of bite. I love this guitar, as a matter of fact it's getting the most playing time right now - more than my EGF-1200. :eek:

Just somethin' about a goldtop with P-90's...

And I can promise you that a real 56 GT is even nicer to play.
Not that they are better in any way but those extra years really affect the feeling :D (well, imagination that is but it is worth a lot too).

greco_burst said:
Congratulations RyanC, you have a vey nice guitar there, and in what is really the best year for Greco to me anyway, which is 1980 8)
Thanks and I agree with you! Right now I have three from '80 ... EG800GS, EGC1000 (for sale), EGF1200. All of them are incredible. :D

Looks very nice Ryan. Never tried one of these yet. I'm going to have to me a gold top with P90s one day.

Dave

RyanC said:
greco_burst said:
Congratulations RyanC, you have a vey nice guitar there, and in what is really the best year for Greco to me anyway, which is 1980 8)
Thanks and I agree with you! Right now I have three from '80 ... EG800GS, EGC1000 (for sale), EGF1200. All of them are incredible. :D

Selling the Custom already? I guess the 1200 must be great cause I can't imagine getting rid of my custom.

soundcreation said:
RyanC said:
greco_burst said:

Selling the Custom already? I guess the 1200 must be great cause I can't imagine getting rid of my custom.

I'm sure I'll regret it. With the 1200 it just seems a little redundant. Plus I'll admit I've got a small case of GAS for a Murphy aged R9. Let the flaming begin! :p

Back