The coolest guitar contest 2009!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUSHI GUY

Reaction score
:) Hello everyone SG/TJ here. I just got this funny good idea so help me to do it please if you will. I just ordered the Player magazine for that 100000th post contest on the other day and since ordering only one mag was too small so I ordered 2 instead. One goes to that winner in Canada named Lexxman and another is for someone I think. I thought about doing something and I just came up with this good old idea. Which is the contest for your coolest Japa/korean/Chinese guitar! Does it sound good and cool? if boring then sorry but I am still doing it for fun! Here is the super easy rule so follow please. Please start posting your coolest guitar pic and comment. Tastier is better both the pic and story. I start mine first today ofcourse. It's a new 2008 Fender Japan ST72 reissue with figured maple neck which I bought last year. I have many guitars but I am pickin on this one most since. It's light and lovely, and a Tokai made too. Love it so much, reminding me of my first 3 Fender japan guitars I had in the 80s. They were really good for me then. Too good enough for someone still played no good. i think about them sometimes still to this day where did they go after that and who has them now. What they look like now after 20 years they were made. It's kinda romantic if I really imagine about that sometimes. Maybe some of them even went to the overseas. To the Uk or OZ or somewhere in the south east Asia..........After we seem to have everyone here and no more pic coming. then My beloved unhomosexual mateman "Mick Leadguitarman" will decide the coolest one and the winner. based on everyone's opinions plus his mighty jesusish divine fair judgement. I am a very goooooood buddy of his so he will let me know who was the coolest when it's done. Maybe in the fall? or just before the summer ends? anyways, don't matter if it's taking long. Should be fun and lovely and very cool. The mag will be ready to be shipped to the winner at TJ's dirty Yokohama home. But don't worry, the mag is super fresh it will be sent to you so clean and cool. Ok so did I tell you everything here now? hope it's gonna be good one and everyone enjoys. We have time everyday and for a long time here so let's just have fun now. Please add yours here if you have. more is better ofcourse. then after all Our trustful fair man" Mick Leadguitarman" will decide......
Ok Mickman. I leave it to you now. Take care of it well please! SG/TJ.
8) :) :wink: :p 8) :wink: :lol:

8) My coolest Asian guitar! F/J ST72, Yellow White.....very creamy!

1-2.jpg

:) SG/TJ.

:p This is the prize.....Too many cool guitar pics inside so very fun even when you don't read Japanese!

51dsVaTXkfL_SS500_.jpg

@ Now more contestants coming than I first thought so TJ now adding this for the 2nd place!

510uYuk6KjL_SS500_.jpg

If even more coming then TJ adds one more for the 3rd place!

:wink: SG/TJ.

Thanks! The gtr is the reissue of the 1972 strat so it has the 3 bolt neck joint. I am not too deep fan of the CBS era large head Strat but funny my first 3 Fender Japan guitars were all the 1972 Strat reissues. (At the time, I didn't know nothing about Fender basically and just thought the large head Strats are cooler than the small head Strat. Later after I understood about the Fender guitars then I often wondered sometimes why I did chose those large head ones and even 3 of them for my early guitars. I was just misunderstood about them, the truth was. But I sometimes seriously think and feel some of them are pretty cool. Especially ones in vintage white with maple neck. Not because I am influenced by Yngwie Malmsteen but just that Strat seem/feel something special often. That's why I bought my Fender Japan ST72 yellow white last year.......now anybody to show us your coolest one??

8) SG/TJ.

greco_burst said:
In what has so far been a very entertaining week :lol: :lol:

Except when it was spoiled by one troublemaker, yes. :roll:

Nice one Sushi Joe - how do you know it was made by Tokai?

Nice guitar Joe, but since you are giving the prize then you are not eligible. :wink: Ok guys show us you cool guitar pics, it must be your guitar and if possible a little story about it...

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Nice guitar Joe, but since you are giving the prize then you are not eligible. :wink: Ok guys show us you cool guitar pics, it must be your guitar and if possible a little story about it...

Mick

Ok Mickman. You are the man for this contest so take care please. Hope people will come? and it be something very fun! Thanks Mickman! SG/TJ.

:wink: :wink:

A difficult decision..... I'm very tempted to nominate my white Goldie as my coolest Asian guitar, just because I love the look & the feel & the sound of it. But it's not exactly rare.

So I'll nominate this (the lower one of the two):

IMG_1894.jpg

It's either an early 80s TE120, or a 1989 TE80, but to me it's a TE120! It's been Fenderised - decal, bridge, tuners, neckplate etc. - but it's clearly one of the rarest of Breezys. One piece sen or ash body (which is pretty cool), & what I think is unique binding for a Tele - I'm sure Fender never made anything like this. It looks like the binding Martin use, which looks great with the natural finish.

And I got it cheaper than it would usually have been because it has an ugly routing for a neck humbucker - so that's cool too as far as I'm concerned! You don't see the rout with the scratchplate on.

For me the main reason it's cool is because it's ash with a rosewood board. I don't get on with maple - the board has to be rosewood for me - but most vintage re-issue Teles are authentic early 60s copies, & they're alder. I've come to the conclusion that a Tele needs to be ash (or sen) to sound "authentic" - alder has a flatter, less interesting sound, to my ears. But try finding an ash bodied vintage style Tele with a RW board - they're very rare.

This Tele is not a good vintage copy - too many details are "wrong", but that makes this model unique, & cool (to me). It also sounds great too, as JohnA will confirm.

Mind you, there is one UK member (who probably won't get involved in this post) who has two of these (maple & rosewood) in more original condition than mine, so I guess that makes his cooler than mine!

Mike

8) Very cool very tasty your Tele is Mike. I was wondering sometimes that are you actually a deep fan of Andy Summers or something? Just felt so from your gtr collection previously. If you like Tele so much actually why you didn't name yourself "Teleman323"? That's good too! Anyways your Tele has very high cool factors so it can maybe earn "The Coolest Award" here. It's very tasty and feels personal yet universal too. No doubt a great one that tells a lot of stories.....SG/TJ.

8) Abalone inlays like Martin D-42/45 is too cool here. Too cool !!!!

Since you asked for one "pic" (singular) I'm only posting one.
I'm not looking to win any contest but this is one cool looking guitar, period.
Seeing it in person is much better than seeing a photo.
I covered the head stock, and showed it to some folks; they initially thought it was a real 57 :lol:

This is likely one of my most prized Les Pauls; a 1982 Greco Mint Collection EG gold top.

The electronics are 100% completely original, complete with all virgin solder.
The Screamin' 82 pups sound awesome; the best set my ears have ever heard.
I am seriously considering installing Dry Z pups, for a test drive

There are only three small items that are not original to the guitar.
These however have been replaced with era correct parts so, it is basically stock.
If I didn't know myself, I could never tell these items were not original.
The aged look to the overall guitar, and in particular the hardware, makes this a real looker.

As many here know by now, I?m a huge lumber freak when it comes to guitars.
For some reason this guitar has been infinitely blessed with the ?right? wood.
It has a nearly perfect weight of 8 lb. 13 oz., the playability is excellent, and it resonates like a monster.
It does have a two piece/center seam mahogany body, and a three piece maple top.
The lumber in this example is about as close to perfect as I could imagine any guitar being.

I am so glad I bought this Greco gold top, as it is a replacement for a Greco gold top that I sold.
It is actually a better gold top than the one I sold so, it all worked out for the better.

I spent more on this guitar than most anyone else likely would have but IMO it was worth every bit.
This example would surely be one of the last to go 8)

Grecogoldtop11-2.jpg

SUSHI GUY said:
8) Very cool very tasty your Tele is Mike. I was wondering sometimes that are you actually a deep fan of Andy Summers or something? Just felt so from your gtr collection previously. If you like Tele so much actually why you didn't name yourself "Teleman323"? That's good too! Anyways your Tele has very high cool factors so it can maybe earn "The Coolest Award" here. It's very tasty and feels personal yet universal too. No doubt a great one that tells a lot of stories.....SG/TJ.

8) Abalone inlays like Martin D-42/45 is too cool here. Too cool !!!!

OK, pics edited down to 1. :wink:

Not really a big fan of Summers, I liked the Police, but nothing any of them have done since. I recall Summers playing a red Strat as much as his Tele anyway. I've only recently got into Teles, it's that choppy rhythm sound that no other guitar will come close to that I really love. Gotta be ash though. :p

I'm not looking to win the award either, I nominate JohnA's Goldtop. Very cool.

8)

SUSHI GUY said:
So where is JohnA's legendary Goldtop?? Hope he is coming soon!

:wink:

I'm a way with work until Saturday, will post a pic then! It's a Reborn Old LS80 with a dark back and a lovely coppery top, a natural heavy relic that really does play fantastic and sound beautiful. I have more expensive guitars, but this is the one I always go back to.

Gonna have to go with the Greco Zemaitis.... truly a work of art thats too pretty to play:

CIMG2503.jpg

CIMG2504.jpg

More pictures of her here (previous owner - thanks Andrew!)

http://guitarsjapan.com/2004_Greco_Zemaitis_GZ-2600IF_Diamonds_Guitar.html

Back