Shameless Plug for my Tokai Strat Auction early 1980's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny337

Reaction score
Well I never play it....and I hope it goes to a good home....

Maybe You KNow More ABout This Guitar Than I Do
The readers on this forum may be interested in knowing that such a guitar is up for grabs - and while I am getting rid of it - I would ask anyone with knowledge about this guitar to maybe tell me a little bit more about it - as I have never seen another one quite like it in terms of colour....

I have loads of High RES photos of this guitar (the ones on eBAY are small) - including macro fotos of bridge saddles etc...

Maybe someone on this forum can tell me a lot more about a guitar I have owned for 23 years and had in stirage for most of that time, I have no idea even what the official colour is....

Price
The price is (I think) reasonable - starts off at ?100 and I have asked for a BUY IT NOW price of ?230

Up for sale a Tokai on Ebay UK site.
Item number: 290129009336

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290129009336&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Vintage Tokai 'Law Suit' Springy Sound Strat early 80's

NOTES

Description
It?s an electric guitar.
A six stringed electric guitar.
It was made by the Japanese company Tokai
It is a replica of a Fender Stratocaster ? in fact from what someone has told me Tokai replicas (of this age) are considered to be pretty **** amazing guitars.
It was made in Japan.
It?s colour I think is described as ?Candy Apple Red? (though I have seen other ?Candy Apple Red? Strats from Tokai and some are pinker), this guitar is quite beautiful (honestly ? it really is) it looks almost semi-metallic finish.
Note on colour: I have never seen another Tokai quite the same colour as the one I have. SO it might not be classified as above but something else.

It has three pick-ups
It has a five-way pickup selector
It has a Maple Neck and fretboard
Saddles have ?Final Prospec? on them, there is a thread on a web site about Tokai guitars saying that the some Springy Sound models have these. (I have no idea what this means)
Machine Heads have ?DELUXE? written banner style on them (the letters on their side)
Headstock ? I have no idea if it is a big headstock or a small one ? I am not into electric guitars that much - but would guess small. Please see pics. (If anyone can help date this from the photos and the details I have)
It has a Serial Number on the neck plate on the reverse of the guitar: the number is 11085.

Note on the Serial Number
Seemingly this means (five digits on the neck plate) that it is a replica of a 1956-1960 Fender Stratocaster. I believe these replicas were subject to lawsuits between Fender and Tokai at one point, hence the lawsuit reference. Someone told me once that it is copy of an 1958 Fender but I do not know for sure. Perhaps some expert could tell me?

However, let's be honest about this - the info on the web isn't that good.

Manufactured
I tried to track down when this guitar was manufactured but there is nothing clear ? I simply do not know.

Known History
Bought as a trade-in by Sound Control in December 1983.
I bought the guitar on Monday 9th January 1984 from Sound Control a music shop in the then Gallowgate in Glasgow (the shop is now long since moved to Jamaica Street). It was second hand and my impression was that the guitar was already a few years old. Certainly the dents and bumps were on the guitar prior to my buying it.

1984 ? early 1986 I played it occasionally.
1986 until 1990 it was stored in a hard case in Glasgow.
1990 until 1994 stored in a hard case in a loft in Manchester
1994 until now in storage in a hard case in a cupboard in Glasgow, but loaned out once for a recording session.

I put strings on it a few weeks ago ? it plays better than I do.

Condition
This is not a brand spanking new shiny out-of-the box guitar, if you want one of those look elsewhere.
Never been refurbished or professionally serviced, but as it has been cared for and stored safely over the years and is playable now.
I have not polished the guitar ? I have wiped it with a cloth and it may have been polished by me at one time using beeswax bit not in the last twenty years.
Ultra-low action ? that I can vouch for.
Few belt marks on back (however nothing compared to Rory Gallgher?s), couple of insignificant dents below the bridge ? these were on the guitar when I bought it.
Saddles have lost a bit of chrome (still work though) this is probably because of sweat.
Screws are a bit de-chromed as well but this might just be grime.
Knobs and tremolo arm nicely yellowed with age.
Electronics work ? I?ve checked. But as this has been in storage such a long time buyer should check this out for themselves because fluff might have accumulated inside the cavities for the pickups. I have not opened the guitar up.
Bit of wear and tear on the metal on the neck plate (see pic).

It has a couple (well five) glow in the dark stickers I stuck on when I bought it) on the back which I will not remove but will peel off readily enough if they annoy anyone.

The important thing is ? this is not a new guitar so buy as is from the photos ? scratches, dents and all. You might have to spend a few hours cleaning it up. If you want a new guitar ? buy a new one.

Note on the LOGO
Original logo was Tokai on the headstock ? but I do not remember exactly which ? I do not think it was the one that looked like a Fender logo I think it looked like TOKAI - I took the logo off pretty much the same day as bought it as I did not like the idea that someone thought I could not afford a ?real? Strat. Madness.
Still has the original ?oldies but goldies? logo. (see pic)
However anyone concerned about this ? replacement Tokai Logo transfers are available (on the web) for anyone who cares about such things and wants this guitar as an addition to their collection, ideally though I?d like this to go to someone who is into playing ? this guitar has never really been played. Guitars should be played and I have not played this? much.

Viewing
Anyone wanting to see the guitar ? NO PROBLEM - contact me.
If you want a high res image of the pics e-mail me.

Summary
In short ? great looking, stylish and aged guitar, and as guitarists know they always sound better, been in storage most of its life, now time for someone who wants to PLAY a replica vintage guitar to buy it and give it a good home.

Note for Tokai Forum
If anyone wants to ask any questions - just ask - I will be happy to help.

Cheers

Kenny
Glasgow

Nice n' all that but sorry to say this. That truss rod neck fillet don't look right to me. :-?

Any one think I'm wrong?

I do not necessarily think you are wrong because you obviously know a thing or two about Tokai guitars looking at the amount of posts you have made, but I do think you are mistaken making a statement that something does not look right without giving anything further impressions or backing up your hunch with some detail of why you think something does not look right.

What are you comparing it to? Have you seen one of these before?
Could you perhaps expand a little? Or would you need a high res image to give a definite opinion? I could up one somewhere I am sure.

If you read the post you will see that I have had the guitar for twenty three years and know next to nothing about it - so it is nice to hear from an expert.

Kenny

Kenny.

I understand what you are saying but that's why I didn't want to expand. Yes I do own and have owned plenty of Tokais from the vintage era. There are plenty of guys here who know their stuff better than me and I am asking them.... for you. Note I said "Any one think I'm wrong?"

Don't panic, lets see who pipes up mate.

Hmmm.........the fillet looks a bit sharper & darker than others ive seen but otherwise it looks kosha, shame about the 2nd added string guide, thats all. Really need to have it in hand or see detailed pics under the skin to be accurate though. Cant argue about the price though, so good luck !

Quite a number (a surprising number) of people have asked for high res pics to be e-mailed to them - so instead of sending them one by one I have uploaded them to a server at work: Copy and Paste this

http://www.productscout.co.uk/tokai%20picture%20folder/index.htm

I am pretty sure that no one back in 1983 /84 would have tampered with the guitar, and I haven't added anything - so maybe this guitar was supposed to have two string guides? Possible??

I am also pretty **** sure that no one would have made a copy of a copy back then.

interested in your comments and if anyone needs other pics I will be happy to oblige.

I will have to delete these pics from the server next week...

Kenny

Kenny337, welcome to the forum.
Your guitar is not a Springy Sound.
Refer the S/N it is a Goldstar. Also Springys doesn't feature a MIJ label on the neck joint.
Did you add the second string tree on the headstock?

BTW, If you want, you could pass the forum detailed pics of the electronic cavitiy. Also a shot of the pups bobbins ...
Anyway, good luck with the auction.

Why did you post it in 2 sections ???

Are you a prof dealer - or will you keep it ???

We have a 'sales' section here - so please use it !!

Roger

This poor guy has posted on this forum to:

A - Try and sell a Tokai guitar
B - Try to find a bit more info about it

All done very politely I might add.

With a bit less snobbery and snidy remarks, he might actually hang around a bit and contribute to a forum with in my view a few too few members.

We are all here because we love guitars, Tokais especially, lets try and be nice!

Good luck with the sale mate :D

... You're free to think so ... 8) 8)

... but "snobbery" is something you shouldn't associate with my question ... MATE !

Roger

:D See, I told you we would get the ball rolling. The guitar has some issues. Take a look at those trem adjustment screws. To me they have seen a lot of adjustment. Hardly any metal left in the screw heads. I'm thinking Goldstar too with added string tree.

The hi-rez close up of the face of the headstock doesn't reveal a transfer imprint so early removal makes sense. Or for you cynical types out there....it never had one. :wink:

Thanks for all the comments.

Some answers:

General
So it is a Goldstar - I have put this at the bottom of the text on eBAY.
I am not a pro dealer - I am not even an amateur dealer.
I put it in two forums because it was an Ebay alert and i was about a guitar from the early eighties.

Dealer ME? Nope
I am not selling it for the sake of making money - I just think it is is daft having a guitar I never play (and never will play - I have seven active guitars and another bunch in storage - anyone interested in a CSL Ibanex doubleneck cherry red 6/12 I bought in 1982 which is in storage in a storage locker and hasn't been played since about half past 1984 flight case etc - would accept what? ?200?) when someone out there might really want it (even a dealer). However being Scottish I do not want to give it away for nothing. I think ?230 is an acceptable price (my buy it now price) and the auction started at ?100 which I would have accepted if it had ended there.

BTW End It Now on Ebay
I never realise this but someone e-mailed me and said they wanted to buy the guitar for the BIN price of ?230 but said that option had disappeared. And it has. If there is a bid then that option does disappear - I never realised that before. You can however end it early and sell to the high bidder.

For The Cynics
It had a logo, I took it off.

Expensive Mistake
Yeah you are probably right in a way, but that's life, I never thought in 1984 that I would still have this guitar twenty three years later, I've just never got around to getting rid of this one until now. And if it had the original logo I am not sure that I would ask any more for it. But I get your point.

Good Forum
Some of you really know your stuff - that's great. Some eejits right enough as well but thanks for the responses anyhow

Kenny

Ahhh. Thought you would like that one. Especially great around Crimbo time. Those guys make some great comedy (chunkideas).

Yeah in Melbourne. Winter and pissing with rain at the moment though but we need it bad. We had a very dry summer here.

Cheers!

If it had the original decal you would definitely get more for it, whatever you asked. I could understand removing the Tokai decal if you had replaced it with a Fender one, but a headstock without a name looks terrible. Good luck anyway.

I think you have to remember how the guitar scene was back in the early eighties - well from my standpoint. I had 'real' guitars - and the whole idea of buying a copy was naff. Yes Tokai was emerging as a good brand but I just did not like the idea of a copy, so I had an unidentified /customised guitar if someone saw me playing it (though I never did play it in front of an audience), I toyed with the idea of putting on a Fender logo for about ten seconds - but honestly that is like wearing a fake watch - cheap - and if there is one thing I (at that time) did not want to be seen as was cheap, I would not drive a fakely badged car or wear a fake watch or tell someone I was something I was not. suppose it was just being young and daft, as I would not give a **** now right enough playing any guitar as long as it sounded OK.

I'm waffling...

Thanks for the good wishes - anyway looks like I have sold it for the 230 + 20 and I will probably pull the auction as I just wanted that price and someone has offered me it - but I will do it through Ebay.

Kenny

Back