Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducati said:
toybitz said:
Alrighty. Does the head lean heavier than the body? What's your serial number?

It balances out pretty well. Serial is from 1980.

I put some pictures on another thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7064

thanks!

Hi- Did the Greco Super Real Series have an EG-500? What was the difference between that and the Super Power EG-500?Villager?Thanks!

yes there was an eg-500 it was a super power model tho not a super real..i may have seen an EGF-500 ..super real ..but I a not sure of the dofferences..if any it may have been super real in 1980 and super power in 81 ..generally tho the super power were low spec models..

Is the Super Real EG-500 really rare also? Would it have been a low spec guitar like the Super Power?

From what I understood, the super real were exact replicas while the super power, etc... were copies but the tuners and things like that, could be different from a Gibson, it didn't try to copy a specific model.

The only super real under EG-800 I saw in the catalogs was a EG-450.

Those small budget greco I tried were nice guitars if you don't pay too much for them. :)

I have a semi-hollow Greco Super Power, with a really subtle flame top.
I noticed while cleaning it last night that there appear to be remnants of fret-edge binding on it. I was under the impression that super power's were Super Real's little brother and generally didn't have these nice appointments. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, it appears the guitar is of higher value than I thought. I also noticed thicker caps in the control cavity -- anyone know what these are? The original pickups sound great, btw.

headstockfront4rh.jpg

headstockback8em.jpg

frontbottom26lj.jpg

frontneck3ca.jpg

front49bs.jpg

controlcavity3sc.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

villager said:
generally tho the super power were low spec models..

Mark, I tend to more or less agree with you on that point but from the few examples of old Greco I have seen, their adherence to strict manufacturing guidelines in all product models is like a roller coaster; they're all over the map. Check out this 1981 Super Power gold top with a combination of higher end attributes. NO long tenon tho...... This is possibly the best Greco I have ever owned or played.

Perfect center seam, 2 piece maho back
SuperPowerGold-EndGrain.jpg

SuperPowerGold-Back.jpg

Fret edge binding
SuperPowerGold-FretEdgeBinding.jpg

100% true 1 piece neck; NO heel scarf
SuperPowerGold-NeckBack.jpg

inked Gibson style serial # and old tuner footprint denoting vintage style Kluson keys
SuperPowerGold-HeadBack.jpg

Perfect small binding & maple in the cutaway
SuperPowerGold-Cutaway.jpg

Top is perfectly center joined, not off set as some painted tops are; 2 piece of course
SuperPowerGold-Top2.jpg

The pickups have steel braided cable, covered in some gooie waxy crap, they sound like real PAFs, powerful and clear; notice the opposing holes in the corners are different size
SuperPowerGold-PickupBack.jpg

Super Power is an UNDERSTATEMENT folks...................
SuperPowerGold-HeadFront.jpg

Grecomaniac said:
After the Mint Collection series (around 1985) Greco went back to bolt-on necks. These necks have no neck plate and are directly screwed through the neck end, it's sometimes hard to identify on photos.

I'm not following you on this one; here's a MC from 1990, the last? year for the MC and it has a long tenon but I can't locate any screw.
GrecoEGCTenon.jpg

villager said:
thats not quite accurate... the higher mint collection all have normal set neck/long tenon...SOME medium models have a set neck with a screw as well...

Mark, Here's one you may be familiar with like you are refering to. This is the first one I've seen; now I know, that's weird stuff.........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Greco-Mint-Collection-1989-LP-type_W0QQitemZ110073364737QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hi!

I got a question about Greco Strats!: (with the small headstocks, made in die end 70ies, early 80ies)

Does anybody know on which models have a nitro-finish???

Only the Superreal Series or SE-600, -800?????

Thanks

MIJvintage said:
villager said:
definatrly all 800 and higher ..600 not sure.

Mark, here's a 1978 SE800 with case that I recently sold; what ($ amount) would it have sold for coming from your web site?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180059380983

gues it would help if I put the link in, huh?

a '78 SE 800 would sell for $1100/1200 natural goes for less than sunburst.. but we have a 20% import duty in the uk..

I have a 78 SE1000 coming which will be around ?750..the super reals are more collectable than the pre 80 models ..although for strats it doesn't really make a difference re quality...

villager said:
a '78 SE 800 would sell for $1100/1200 natural goes for less than sunburst.. but we have a 20% import duty in the uk..

I have a 78 SE1000 coming which will be around ?750..the super reals are more collectable than the pre 80 models ..although for strats it doesn't really make a difference re quality...

I see you have the SE 800 in natural up for 700 STG, which is about $1,350 USD

I sold the one (SE 800) on fleaBay for $990 USD with original case.

Prices are going up, LOL................

Back