Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the double trick pups and has the long tenon and 1982 sreial number

Another thing I noticed is that the neck on this 'hybrid" guitar is thinner than the neck on my mint collection 59-85or100 mentioned in my earlier postings..
not much thinner but noticable. Do you know if the 59-85 had a thinner neck than the 59-100 in the mint collection? What about Super real?

normally the superreals were the fattest necks, but yours on the custom is not so it just goes to show there are no hard and fast rules ...

all the necks were hand finished ..so theres a lot of variation..

Fatter necks even on the "lower'" models? Did Gibson have a slim taper type neck in 1954?This Greco is telling me it is a replica of a 1954 Les Paul custom.Although the year doesn't match up,there is a picture of this guitar in the 1980 Greco catalog volume 13 minus the Dryz pups.Could be just a mint collection neck,no? Were the double trick pups from the Super Real or Mint Collection Era?Or rather,when did they first appear?If I'm staring to get
anal,please forgive me.I'm just a big fan.

neck is superreal , body is mint colection..double trick were 2nd level mint coll pups, so thats the equiv of the second best mint coll LPC the best had dry 1982 PU..

its not a 54 custom cos those didnt have humbuckers they only started in 57, so its a 57 or most likely 68 replica..

its an EGC68-80 with a left over superreal neck...

http://psyco.jp/greco/file/tmc_6.html

Interesting...Thanks.... did this guitar have a maple top? Is it true then that the open O Grecos and double trick pups appeared only from 1982 onward?
Constructionwise, are these Grecos on par with the Gibbo Historic VOS? Or is that distinction pertain only to the High end Super Reals?(1200,1800)

yes mint collection= open o, as do double tricks..82 onward..

its better than a standard but not as well made as a historic...it has a 2 or 3 piece back, historics are 1 piece..dont know if the top is maple or mahog..

Thanks Villager! appreciate it! In your experience,what pup out today resembles the sound of a Dry-z? Burstbuckers perhaps?

no not burstbuckers..too shrill..

...something like peter florence voodoo 59's or jim wagner WCR, these are the only ones I have personally had that sounded nearly as good..the voodoo's are very very nice PU's..you have to remember though that DRY Z will be 25 yrs old now ..so a few things will have changed with regards to the magnetic field etc etc ..you can't really buy ''age'' in new guitars or in new PU's ..its something that has to occur naturally....duncan antiquities presume to try to ape the aging process of PU's by de-gaussing..(or something) the magnets apparantly..but I had some of those ..and I didnt like them very much...

Did all the Mint Collection LP Customs feature fret edge binding no matter what the level ?

I've got a Mint Collection EGC-600 Custom and it doesn't have fret edge binding. That's a good thing, I don't like edge binding! :)

Grecomaniac said:
Hi,
according to some Japanese collectors I have following info: Until 1985 the Mint Collection series had a volume of around 1000 instruments for the whole run. In 1985 the guys who invented and built the Mint Collection series split off the company and other luthiers went on with this series until 1989/90, but it was more kind of a mass production in the second half of the 80's. As far as this info is from 2 Japanese collectors I can't say if these facts are completely right.
Regards

This is interesting.. I've owned many of the Mint Collection pieces, usually the lower end stuff like the 450/500/550, and a couple of 650 and 700 models. All of them seem to have a uniform build quality no matter what "grade" in the 1984-85 model years I've owned. The two '89 models I've had were essentially the same quality as the '84's in terms of fit and finish. Main difference I noticed is the Indian rosewood fingerboards and the inlay material in the '89 models. My '84's have brazilian boards and more of an aged looking pearloid material. But the general quality and fretwork is the same.

hi! do you have any info on the john sykes model? what are the things to look for to make sure it's authentic?

thanks!

Hi!

Does anyone have a catalogue from 1986 of the Greco models, trying to locate a Greco Custom EG-1000 from 1986 but i cannot find any scanned catalogues from that year. Thx in advance.

fretburner said:
hi! do you have any info on the john sykes model? what are the things to look for to make sure it's authentic?

thanks!

A John Sykes model, I'm guessing, would:

Be black (no other color)
Have a mirror pickguard
Chrome hardware
Brass nut
Exposed pickups

Of course that's my guess on originality, assuming Greco was reproducing the aesthetic specs.

Latest posts

Back