Questions for Greco guitars please post here

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never heard of MIK Grecos ... I don't know what Greco is doing currently, but I am quite sure that ALL Greco guitars until the early 90s were MIJ. Any Super Real or Mint Collection definitely.

theskywolf said:
I never heard of MIK Grecos ... I don't know what Greco is doing currently, but I am quite sure that ALL Greco guitars until the early 90s were MIJ. Any Super Real or Mint Collection definitely.

There were some economic models made in the late 90's made outside japan. Don't know if they still exist.

I guess you ask this because of the 3 screw truss rod cover, but in greco guitar case, it foesn't mean "MIK" or not. there's some MIJ with that kind of cover ( before 80 or after 90).

Can you help me what year this is? Is a Mint Collection or Super Real or none of the above? I've onlyy seen two copies of this type. One is mine and other was sold at Ebay about two weeks ago.

Please take note of the neck joint. It's heel is rather smoother than strandard SGs with a larger neck joint ala Les Paul.

I'll post the serial number tonight.

mygrecosgss600.jpg

grecosgsuperreale.jpg

toybitz said:
Can you help me what year this is? Is a Mint Collection or Super Real or none of the above? I've onlyy seen two copies of this type. One is mine and other was sold at Ebay about two weeks ago.

Please take note of the neck joint. It's heel is rather smoother than strandard SGs with a larger neck joint ala Les Paul.

I have a Greco SG with some similarities to yours. If I get some free time, I will take some pictures to post for comparison.

What catches my eye about yours is the headstcok inlay, it looks faithful to Gibson's, and almost every Greco SG fails on this detail.

I do notice that yours has a 3 screw truss rod cover... mine has the two screw bell shape truss cover.

Pictures soon.

luis said:
I would bet being a '76 or early Greco one......

aren't the 70s Grecos bolt ons?

Plus I couldn't find it on any of the 70s era catalogue.

I swear, I'll post the whole serial number tonight.

Serial begins with J80xxxx

Ducati said:
toybitz said:

I have a Greco SG with some similarities to yours. If I get some free time, I will take some pictures to post for comparison.

What catches my eye about yours is the headstcok inlay, it looks faithful to Gibson's, and almost every Greco SG fails on this detail.

I do notice that yours has a 3 screw truss rod cover... mine has the two screw bell shape truss cover.

Pictures soon.

Alrighty. Does the head lean heavier than the body? What's your serial number?

toybitz said:
luis said:

aren't the 70s Grecos bolt ons?

Plus I couldn't find it on any of the 70s era catalogue.

I swear, I'll post the whole serial number tonight.

Serial begins with J80xxxx

ok, so it's from october 80 :) strange that there still was some 3 screw cover at that time.

Early 70 are bolt on but from mid 70 there's many glued neck.

luis said:
If from '80 then it have a wrong TRC.....

Yes, that's strange. The 3 screws tRC continued in the 80's but only for home models, well, that's what I thought...

The only explanation I would find would be it's a limited run for some reason or another ( special PU or anything).

It`s really important to keep an open mind about Japanese guitars from that era. The web is full of guys who think they are savants on the topic but unless they`ve actually seen every model made, how can they say with any certainty that all Grecos are one thing or all Fender Japans are something else. It`s highly unlikely anybody has seen all Japanese guitars from that time period. Exchanging ideas or offering opinons based on experience is a great way to try to sift though all the info out there but when guys come across as experts on guitars they`ve never seen before they lose me. Most if not all Japanese builders made/make stuff solely for the domestic market or shop orders so again chances are no one person has seen it all. It`s really fun and interesting reading up on this stuff here and elsewhere but I`ve so much left to learn.

as sneaky says above...i have probably seen more vintage japanese than most people..and theres still so many models that pop up which dont fit any of the recognised criteria..there are no hard and fast rules here..as sneaky said..special runs and shop orders were rarely published in catalogues..so you have to see them to judge..

luis said:

My deepest apologies everyone...

my SG's serial is J766234 NOT J80xxxxx

I'm very sorry.

the SG at Ebay that had a similar neck joint as mine (smooth, no edges like in the pic) had 2 screw for its TRC plus, its machineheads were plastic tulip type while mine is chromed.

hmmm...so I took off the TRC just to see if there was a hole at the bottom middle part similar to TRC with two screws. None.

I agree.I?m following this made in japan guitars sice 4 years ago because Perter Mac taught,and the more i study them,the more i found odd things.But I discovered the 3 bolt TRC rule on Burnys and Grecos as a general rule.... This time it seems I was right,but I would not be 100% sure ever on a MIJ.... that?s true....
I thank everybody here adding forces to myself to learn as stated above...

luis said:
I agree.I?m following this made in japan guitars sice 4 years ago because Perter Mac taught,and the more i study them,the more i found odd things.But I discovered the 3 bolt TRC rule on Burnys and Grecos as a general rule.... This time it seems I was right,but I would not be 100% sure ever on a MIJ.... that?s true....
I thank everybody here adding forces to myself to learn as stated above...

(a bit off topic but...) I often see some burny lp junior with the "les paul" writting on the head (usually 70's Burny) with a 3 screw TRC. Those models are a mystery to me. I saw on on TC gakki and it was said to be a 80's, at the moment, there's one on ebay. Anybody has infos?

toybitz said:
Alrighty. Does the head lean heavier than the body? What's your serial number?

It balances out pretty well. Serial is from 1980.

I put some pictures on another thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7064

Back