Plaintop LS150 vs. Flametop/Sunburst UK LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin Connolly said:
Diamond, sorry for the harsh overtones earlier. Yes, the pics I posted are my guitar (as on P.1) but for convenience here are two more shots (below):

You can see the left side and especially a blob or lump on the top right side which really stands out under the light.

As I said before, not an issue; just wondering why it wasn't more even or tapered out for a more smooth finish and the earlier question was how much of the finish is actually poly and/or nitro overall.

Regards
J

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, the two shots mentioned in the above quote and the original two are actually all the same photo. But two copies have been rotated. This is why the 'smudges' are in the same place. If he had taken 2 or 4 separate photos, even on a tripod, it would have been almost impossible to rotate the camera 90 degrees and get exactly the same picture. In that case I'm sure the 'smudges' would be in a different position. Of course, If Justin just looked at the front of his guitar, he'd already know this.

So I'm not sure what this discussion is about. Is that LS150 flametops are too shiny?

guitarslinger said:
The Heritage Dark Cherry is a hard one to photograph in my experience. The dark crimson red with the middle band of orange really seems to be picked out no matter what camera i have used in the past.

This one is with Lumix G1 with daylight balanced tubes through a light-tent.

Having said that - i've always found a straight cherry sunburst to be much more "acrid" looking to the natural eye - however, doesn't quite jump out as much on camera.

Nice photos Richard, as always! Did you shoot both of them with the same setup? Exposure etc?

According to my photo software (profile tool) the HDC has lighter yellow at the center of body, the red channel is pretty much the same. The change from light red/cherry to yellow part seems to be also little bit deeper in HDC. So, it seems that numbers agree with eyes? However, I believe that HDC could be the most tricky to shoot!

The funny thing in a modern digicamera is that they all overtone red channel (and usually blue as well). Here is couple of very modest snaps of one of my LP. In real life there is not any red on that guitar. The second photo is quickly corrected for an example. I am using mac, so the gamma differs little and windows users may see these photos too dark....but just for demo.

IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4808.jpg

karppi - very cool stuff, and very informative!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has bought a second hand guitar and when I get it, it seems to be a different colour! What you've posted probably goes most of the way to explaining that.

Cheers :)

JVsearch said:
karppi - very cool stuff, and very informative!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has bought a second hand guitar and when I get it, it seems to be a different colour! What you've posted probably goes most of the way to explaining that.

Cheers :)

White balance is a nightmare. An SLR will usually allow you to take a picture of a white or grey card to get accurate white balance. And don't forget that your monitor is probably not calibrated, in which case it will introduce a colour cast.

Yes - same settings for each generally. Agree the reds are always a little more pronounced compared to the naked eye.

The issue we also get is reflections - the light tent needs to be bigger really so I can get some sort of back-drop behind and move the lighting further away to diffuse it even more. The arch top of a Les Paul just means light is picked up from all angles!! Worst finishes are gloss black and wine red with this in mind. Next most difficult for us is a high gloss rosewood back of an acoustic guitar. Taylor 814ce for example. It is just like a mirror and you can see the seams of the light tent.

When people whack photos of their guitars on forums to discuss finish flaws and what have you - I can well appreciate how tricky it can be to naturally capture the guitar. We are 5 years and counting - and still not got it 100% right.

Justin Connolly said:
Diamond, sorry for the harsh overtones earlier. Yes, the pics I posted are my guitar (as on P.1) but for convenience here are two more shots (below):

You can see the left side and especially a blob or lump on the top right side which really stands out under the light.

As I said before, not an issue; just wondering why it wasn't more even or tapered out for a more smooth finish and the earlier question was how much of the finish is actually poly and/or nitro overall.

Regards
J

There are 2 major differences in the application of nitro and poly.

In a nutshell, poly will be mixed with a catylist which acts as a hardener and the chemical rection between the chemicals will cause the finish to cure and harden. Once the finish has cured, it is very hard. The hardness will depend on the chemical composition of the product. Some can be thick and hard, like a hard plastic coating, others can be thinner.

When applying a poly product, the painter is looking for an "off the gun" finish that is flat, even and glossy. "Orange peel" from a poorly applied poly is extremely difficult to rectify. The finish can be carefully sanded and buffed, however the hardness of the finish makes it almost impossible to correct without some sort of artifact being left behind. Hazy finishes, swirl marks and left over "orange peel" is common.

It is, generally speaking, a "one shot" product.

Nitro is applied, allowed to dry naturally or in some cases artificially accelerated to a level of cure that allows the product to be handled. An "off the gun" gloss is always a good foundation to a good finish with this type of finish. However, to achieve a full gloss finish, there is the need to physically buff and polish the finish. Then the full lustre is realised. An experienced hand will know how much finish needs to be "cut" to achieve this.

Like every Tokai I have seen.

Rather than relying on the religious diety to which you refer (they have been scarce for the last couple of thousand years) to advise you how much nitro/poly/ you have on your guitar, there is a simple method to unlock the secret.

The acetone test. It can prove once and for all what is on top of the wood.

We call them hardware stores, in the UK it is the DIY, yes? They should sell it. Failing that, you can use nail polish remover. The clear stuff.

Take a pickup out, and test in the cavity because you don't want to test it somewher that can be seen. The acetone will act like a thinner and soften the finish. As Diamond mentioned, there is no way that the nitro on a current UK production LS150 has cured yet. It takes years and will eventually shrink back into the grain as the chemicals continue to evaporate. Years and years and years.

Anyway, use something like a cotton bud and dip it in acetone and start rubbing on a small area. Be patient, and keep dipping and rubbing. Open a window because the smell is dreadful and if women knew how nasty the stuff was, ..............

Keep dipping and rubbing.

Then, when you are either through to some bare wood, which would indicate a 100% nitro finish or can no longer remove any finish (if you could at all, which would indicate 100% poly), take some decent photos of it and post them up in this thread. Your description of how the procedure transpired, along with some photographic documentation will assist in establishing, for a fact, rather than propagating the ill advised guesses and opinions that I so often see plastered around internet forums.

It either is or isn't and unless you can confirm which it is, anybody elses' unsubstantiated opinion or guess is best kept to themselves.

So, to further the knowledge of Tokai guitar finishes and assist others with this often asked and, to my knowledge never answered question, myself and, I am sure, others would be keenly interested in your findings.

Or, do we settle for the established misinformation to continue to be taken as fact.

Excellent post.

stratmoto said:
Justin Connolly said:

Regards
J

There are 2 major differences in the application of nitro and poly.

In a nutshell, poly will be mixed with a catylist which acts as a hardener and the chemical rection between the chemicals will cause the finish to cure and harden. Once the finish has cured, it is very hard. The hardness will depend on the chemical composition of the product. Some can be thick and hard, like a hard plastic coating, others can be thinner.

When applying a poly product, the painter is looking for an "off the gun" finish that is flat, even and glossy. "Orange peel" from a poorly applied poly is extremely difficult to rectify. The finish can be carefully sanded and buffed, however the hardness of the finish makes it almost impossible to correct without some sort of artifact being left behind. Hazy finishes, swirl marks and left over "orange peel" is common.

It is, generally speaking, a "one shot" product.

Nitro is applied, allowed to dry naturally or in some cases artificially accelerated to a level of cure that allows the product to be handled. An "off the gun" gloss is always a good foundation to a good finish with this type of finish. However, to achieve a full gloss finish, there is the need to physically buff and polish the finish. Then the full lustre is realised. An experienced hand will know how much finish needs to be "cut" to achieve this.

Like every Tokai I have seen.

Rather than relying on the religious diety to which you refer (they have been scarce for the last couple of thousand years) to advise you how much nitro/poly/ you have on your guitar, there is a simple method to unlock the secret.

The acetone test. It can prove once and for all what is on top of the wood.

We call them hardware stores, in the UK it is the DIY, yes? They should sell it. Failing that, you can use nail polish remover. The clear stuff.

Take a pickup out, and test in the cavity because you don't want to test it somewher that can be seen. The acetone will act like a thinner and soften the finish. As Diamond mentioned, there is no way that the nitro on a current UK production LS150 has cured yet. It takes years and will eventually shrink back into the grain as the chemicals continue to evaporate. Years and years and years.

Anyway, use something like a cotton bud and dip it in acetone and start rubbing on a small area. Be patient, and keep dipping and rubbing. Open a window because the smell is dreadful and if women knew how nasty the stuff was, ..............

Keep dipping and rubbing.

Then, when you are either through to some bare wood, which would indicate a 100% nitro finish or can no longer remove any finish (if you could at all, which would indicate 100% poly), take some decent photos of it and post them up in this thread. Your description of how the procedure transpired, along with some photographic documentation will assist in establishing, for a fact, rather than propagating the ill advised guesses and opinions that I so often see plastered around internet forums.

It either is or isn't and unless you can confirm which it is, anybody elses' unsubstantiated opinion or guess is best kept to themselves.

So, to further the knowledge of Tokai guitar finishes and assist others with this often asked and, to my knowledge never answered question, myself and, I am sure, others would be keenly interested in your findings.

Or, do we settle for the established misinformation to continue to be taken as fact.

guitarslinger said:
Yes - same settings for each generally. Agree the reds are always a little more pronounced compared to the naked eye.

The issue we also get is reflections - the light tent needs to be bigger really so I can get some sort of back-drop behind and move the lighting further away to diffuse it even more. The arch top of a Les Paul just means light is picked up from all angles!! Worst finishes are gloss black and wine red with this in mind. Next most difficult for us is a high gloss rosewood back of an acoustic guitar. Taylor 814ce for example. It is just like a mirror and you can see the seams of the light tent.

When people whack photos of their guitars on forums to discuss finish flaws and what have you - I can well appreciate how tricky it can be to naturally capture the guitar. We are 5 years and counting - and still not got it 100% right.

That's why a white wall or an overcast sky is preferable for photography n00bs to a light-tent. Not many have a light tent, and you don't get more diffuse than light coming off a 12x10 foot wall or an n x n kilometer patch of sky.

The bigger the source, the softer the light. All the tent does is act as a big omnidirectional light source.

Even a very experienced photographer with good equipment is going to be challenged to show off a slight thickening/lumpiness in the transluscent finish.

My LS150 shows this very faint, shimmery, irregular flame. But only in artificial light coming at a strong angle to the top. I'm always struck by it as the sun goes down and the natural light in the room fades and the artificial light becomes it. It becomes very obvious looking down on the guitar while playing it. A serious bugger to try to photograph, you may well imagine.

Any one else's plain tops have that?

I admit to being somewhat uninformed about features and hardware on new LS-150's....
It has been stated the flametop LS-150's are solid caps and not veneer but I get a feeling Richtone salespeople aren't disclosing something here because it just doesn't add up for me or I am missing an important point.
Do the plaintop LS-150's have the same finish and pickups and hardware as the solid flametop LS-150's. ? Where are the LS-150's produced ?
Could the flamed caps be flamed Sycamore caps (of the maple genus ?)
Do these all have a point in the middle of the open book headstock like earlier Korean Tokai models had ? There are no headstock pics in this entire post, so I have to ask.
What is the basis for the $2200 price difference between these LS-150 solid flametops and a MIJ LS-370 model, besides one grade difference in the top ? (AAA vs AAAA)
You can buy 2 1/2 LS-150 flametops for the price of an LS-370 ???

What am I missing ?

I admit to being somewhat uninformed about features and hardware on new LS-150's....
It has been stated the flametop LS-150's are solid caps and not veneer but I get a feeling Richtone salespeople aren't disclosing something here because it just doesn't add up for me or I am missing an important point.

When it says AAA Flametop then it means a solid flamed cap...the LS150 Flametop version is a solid cap.
No need to question Richtone, he's unquestionably one of the most reputable & knowledgeable Tokai dealers in the world.

Do the plaintop LS-150's have the same finish and pickups and hardware as the solid flametop LS-150's. ? Where are the LS-150's produced ?

Same hardware, different pickups, both Nitro.
Made in Japan.

Could the flamed caps be flamed Sycamore caps (of the maple genus ?

Yes on the LS98F model.

Do these all have a point in the middle of the open book headstock?

I think so, ask Richtone to confirm.

What is the basis for the $2200 price difference between these LS-150 solid flametops and a MIJ LS-370 model, besides one grade difference in the top ? (AAA vs AAAA)
You can buy 2 1/2 LS-150 flametops for the price of an LS-370 ???

LS370 body and neck are made of Honduras Mahogany.
Brazilian Rosewood fretboard.
Duncan SH-55 pickups in it, 150 has Tokai MK-2's.
NOS Bumblebee instead of the LS150 Orange Drop.

What am I missing ?

A guitar. :D

Yes - all our guitars should have the modified headstock as a rule. In fact - all guitars distributed in Europe should have this headstock as per the legal agreement between Tokai and Gibson.

The LS150 Flametop was requested by Bob at Tokai UK many years ago and is not featured on the Japanese site at all. Over time, as prices rise and thus Tokai model numbers increase, the plain top LS135 now LS160 get's confused with it as it is of a similar spec.

When a 370 is side by side to most LS150's you can spot them easily. At this level of guitar, you tend to pay a lot more, comparatively, for small tweaks and upgrades to get the very best they can produce.

Having said that - assuming one's finances are restricted (most are) then the LS150 flame top is the single best value for money les paul we do.

Thank you both Diamond and guitarslinger for the info.

I know the LS-370 is made in Japan, where are the LS-150s made ?

I was lucky to try LS-320(?03 and ?05) and LS-150(?05-one of the first in Europe,maybe some kind of prototype?) at the time,and I can say I feel differences enough to pay the money.I do love my '03 LS-320 and every player trying it just love it(it sound great through Marshalls JCM800,Plexis or JT-45),18 watts also. I feel recent LS-420 is way too much expensive and you have to order a fret edge binding(more $$$) and flamed tops are not so great to my taste.....

I bought a magical product today...it's called G3 Paste Compound (Regular Grade), made by Farecla, it's a polishing paste.

Any problems on a nitro guitar, marks from the stand, smudges or whatever, or poly, just use this stuff...you'll get the finish back to perfect.

Where's Justin? :D

Please allow me to jump aboard this thread. I'm contemplating a local offer for a 2008 LS-150. Seller states it has AAA flame top and Duncan Seth Lover pickups. Is this correct as per UK specs?

Assuming this is the "LS150" spec guitar we'd stock, then the Pick Ups are after-market. They come on the LS370, which is rocketing up the range somewhat. Top sound's correct. An entirely plausible situation....

If you would like forum members to help ID the guitar to make sure you get what you are asking for - a couple of pics posted on here for verification before you buy will ease and re-assure you no end i'm sure.

guitarslinger said:
Assuming this is the "LS150" spec guitar we'd stock, then the Pick Ups are after-market. They come on the LS370, which is rocketing up the range somewhat. Top sound's correct. An entirely plausible situation....

If you would like forum members to help ID the guitar to make sure you get what you are asking for - a couple of pics posted on here for verification before you buy will ease and re-assure you no end i'm sure.

Pics here: http://s509.photobucket.com/albums/s338/Krank77/Tokai%20LS-150/

Krank said:
guitarslinger said:

Pics here: http://s509.photobucket.com/albums/s338/Krank77/Tokai%20LS-150/

Strange description by the seller.

Knobs have been changed.
Pickup switch tip changed.
He says it's honduras mahogany but it's not...unless it's an LS370.
Not the original Tokai case.
The top looks even better than a AAA...looks like a 4 or 5A.

Is it an LS370 that the seller thinks is an LS150...I doubt it? :D

Back