PAF MkIIIs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johny642000

Reaction score
Just spending time at work browsing the internet instead of working - you know the kind of thing...
Anyway, visiting the offical Tokai website:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

I came across PAF MkIIIs - listed under the current LS75 and LS80 models in the Vintage section.

I'm used to thinking in terms if MKII Japan and MkIV Korea but this is the first time I've seen MkIIIs listed and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them.

Although I've recently added to my Tokai family in the shape of an ES130, I've been wondering if it isn't time I added a Goldtop to the collection...you know, beer at lunchtime, bit of websurfing - induces GAS like nobody's business...

So in the light of the MKIII PAF discovery, this opens up the Goldtop issue of whether to go for an LS75GT, an LS85s with P90s, an LS135 GT or an LS145s...

So many options, so little money...

Anyway, thanks in advance - any information very gratefully received!

BTW, I'm in the UK so the LS135 or LS145 would probably involve ordering from Japan.

Cheers - and thanks for a great forum,

John.

Ps. If Marcus happens along to this post, I haven't seen any reviews of your Edwards 335 yet - would be most interested as it looked a stunning guitar.

Hi:

I have some tokai in my collection. One of them is a SG75 with MKIII pick ups. They are made by gotoh Japan.

Less feedback than MKII but more distortion, more agressive. In my opinion good pick ups. Good cleans sounds, no noise.

However if you don't like them you can change for SD, in my opinion the brand with the best catalog and options.

PD (I like MKIII and MKII, i would prefer Gibson 57 Humbucker for my SG but their price is a madness and MKIII play their role in an excellent way).

Thanks, Blazes - so MkIIs and MkIIIs are both Gotoh made for Tokai but the MkIIIs have a more aggressive character - that's very good to know!

All my Tokai's have stock pick-ups and I feel no need to change them as they sound good to my ears and suit my sort of music - punky, clashy rock...However, if I were to go down the road of changing pups I'd probably look at BareKnuckles...as I'm in the UK...

On the SD front and looking at Goldtops - there's always the Edwards LP85SD - importing from Japan with freight and customs would be about ?450 - the same kind of price you can pick up an LS75GT...

Now which one is better...?

Back