First REAL proof that Edwards' are actually MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SUSHI GUY said:
http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

:D the edwards japan site but there are more models actually not in this site. like the jimmy pagey relic model ........

Correct.... the Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck ,Clapton, Fruiscante guitars (among others) are part of their Super Real series and not shown online or in catalogs.

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/index.html

8) these super cool ones huh marcusman?........the jimmy model great!!!!!

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar.html

8) "SUPER REAL SERIES" they call it.......reminds me of greco super reals........

SUSHI GUY said:

8) "SUPER REAL SERIES" they call it.......reminds me of greco super reals........

That's them Joe. Funny, the don't show the Keith Richards LP Junior relic or the Jeff Beck Tele....

Great guitars... all of them. My Jimmy Page is the lightest non weight relieved Les Paul I've ever picked up - 7.25lbs

youami said:
Yeah, my Edwards LP is 7.5 pounds.

Seems that they are heavier now (8lbs or more).

That batch of light mahogany Edwards had for a while is amazing. My two LP Juniors are both around 6 lbs and the LP Special is less than 7lbs. All of them are keepers

i'm not sure how heavy my edwards is, never actually weighed it :lol: it feels heavier than most of my other guitars, but lighter than most of the other LPs I've tried, though...

Rumor has it (from one tech who's worked on JP's to another tech in Britain) that Jimmy Page's #1 is...
7.5 lb.s! :eek:

My Edwards LP-90LTS is 8.2 lbs (8 lb.s 3 ounces) (3.7 kg). Super resonant, too!

MIJ is BEST. Well, for me anyways.

The main reason that the Edwards guitars are lighter is that they aren't made of the same wood as the MIJ guitars. Most all the MIJ LP's are made of African mahogany from the Khaya family of timbers, the Edwards guitars{LP's} are made from what they refer to as Asian mahogany which is from a completely different family of woods, the Dipterocarpus family of timber. I knew there had to be a rational reason as to why these guitars were so light. When and if i find out any more on this i will post it here.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:

Edwards are made in China, did you read the whole thread.?

Mick

8) they got a lot to go back.....gees 17 page long!!!! if its me then perhaps i dont!.......edwards are mostly made in china so they are made in china! and they are very good sounding lovely gtrs! even oze wants one lately.....and mick too? i always wanted their JP relic les paul! 8).....i know u hav one marcusman.....and milkcow too........j

SUSHI GUY said:

8) 8) http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar.html

leadguitar_323 said:
The main reason that the Edwards guitars are lighter is that they aren't made of the same wood as the MIJ guitars. Most all the MIJ LP's are made of African mahogany from the Khaya family of timbers, the Edwards guitars{LP's} are made from what they refer to as Asian mahogany which is from a completely different family of woods, the Dipterocarpus family of timber. I knew there had to be a rational reason as to why these guitars were so light. When and if i find out any more on this i will post it here.

Mick

There are several plantations in SE Asia where they are growing and harvesting Honduras Mahogany. I guess it grows well there. :wink:

Real Honduras Mahog in Edwards, it's possible... :D

zepping said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

...and finished in Japan. Good enuf for me. :D

Gee, you guys are real sticklers!

Hey, don't get me wrong, i have never said that they were bad guitars, i just find it funny because a lot of guys seem to be obsessed with the need to have some link to Japan to justify something ? They are great guitars, i don't have one but {i have 2 many guitars now.. :eek: },i would love a Page model and will probably buy one at some stage. Basically though, the only thing done in Japan is the electronics, bridge and tailpiece and the machine heads. Oh and set up, which ESP do very well, all the building and painting are done in China. The good thing about all this is that ESP have had a factory in China since 1992, so these guitars are being made in a well established factory under Japanese supervision, there's plenty to be pleased about there.
I think prices will go up but China will be a super power in musical instrument making for a long time to come.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
zepping said:
leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

...and finished in Japan. Good enuf for me. :D

Gee, you guys are real sticklers!

Hey, don't get me wrong, i have never said that they were bad guitars, i just find it funny because a lot of guys seem to be obsessed with the need to have some link to Japan to justify something ? They are great guitars, i don't have one but {i have 2 many guitars now.. :eek: },i would love a Page model and will probably buy one at some stage. Basically though, the only thing done in Japan is the electronics, bridge and tailpiece and the machine heads. Oh and set up, which ESP do very well, all the building and painting are done in China. The good thing about all this is that ESP have had a factory in China since 1992, so these guitars are being made in a well established factory under Japanese supervision, there's plenty to be pleased about there.
I think prices will go up but China will be a super power in musical instrument making for a long time to come.

Mick

I know Mick, I was fairly rattled when I found out my Ed was mostly made in China. I've seen the emails here and on there's even a couple of different emails confirming it on another forum. I'm over it. Strange the way ESP is so secretive about it, even though they fess up when asked.

But what a great guitar I got! :D

<feebly says from the floor after 15 rounds with JOE, unable to get up> ...you want some of this?

:D :lol:

... because a lot of guys seem to be obsessed with the need to have some link to Japan to justify something ?

Mick

That MIJ link is important. I saw a special on how samurai swords are made. It's like some kind of mystical, religious experience that their culture imprints on what they make by hand.

I just want a little piece of that, is all.

After all, this is the Tokai forum... 8)

Back