New arrival - several large pics..

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick51

Reaction score
I recently received a belated Christmas gift - from myself - from our good friend Togps. I'm not a good photographer, but I wanted to share a few pics. The good shots are his, the poor ones are mine.

DCP_0383.jpg

DCP_0385.jpg

DCP_0387.jpg

DCP_0391.jpg

DCP_0393.jpg

DCP_0397.jpg

IMG_2896CustomMedium.jpg

IMG_2903CustomMedium.jpg

DCP_0399.jpg

The build and finish quality is exceptional. The neck shape and feel is identical to my 1981 LS-120. The only difference of (minor) consequence is that the LS-120 has FEB, and this does not. However, the fret ends are finished and polished so well, there is no difference in feel. It appears to me that the binding is perhaps 1 mm or so wider on this guitar than the LS-120; it's probably most noticeable in the cutout, and I really had to compare them side-by-side. One piece back, spalted top.. I'm a fool for a lighter, brown back (like my goldtop), and the grain on this is wonderful. Beautiful, dark fretboard with really nice inserts.

I included the controls cavity because this has absolutely the cleanest wiring that I have ever seen. OD caps.

Before this guitar arrived, I had purchased an early pair of Wolfetones Dr Vintage, when he was numbering them and selecting magnets. I am afraid that I'm a bit of a p/up snob; the only original p/ups I've ever liked are the patent numbers in my 1969 LP Custom. (actually, those are pre-T-top, but that's another story..) But, the tone and breakup on these stock p/ups - I haven't pulled them from the guitar, but the specs indicate Tokai Mark I's - is so good, I'm having a very hard time convincing myself that I want to spend the time swapping p/ups. Especially since my work would never be as neat as what is in this guitar.

The Dr V's in the 1981 are a bit clearer, with a little more glassy tone and a bit more treble. But, these p/ups are very good. Give me the "dual tone" thing, break up nicely. And, there's no reason these guitars need to be exact clones of one another.

The neck and frets are exceptional. Plays very fast and clean, with a nice 1959-style neck.

Also, I've included a shot of the tailpiece - one of Gottfried's special titanium tailpieces, and it adds a very nice color to the tone. Titanium saddles as well; but, my camera has a viewfinder as opposed to SLR, and I didn't allow for the parallax at 25-30 cm or so - wound up cutting off the top and adding to the bottom...

For anyone who wants to know, this is a wonderful guitar. I understand that they were part of a custom order, so there aren't many out there. I consider myself fortunate to have purchased one. Togps, if you don't know, is an excellent seller and fine gentleman. We discussed many points back and forth, he took time to answer all my questions in detail, worked with me, put up with my somewhat offbeat humor. Excellent shipping - took awhile to get over the pond to Iowa, but it arrived in fantastic shape.

I won't go on any longer. If there are questions that I can address, I'll try to do so. Thanks for the privilege of being a part of such a robust and varied community.

[/img]

SWEEEEET..!!!
I remember the pics when togps had all his spalted tops lined up in a row..
now THAT was sight to see. 8)

marcusnieman said:
I think those spalted tops are really interesting. Is it a one piece top or center joined?

Marcus, thank you. To be very honest, I have stared at it in-hand for quite awhile. I believe that it is one-piece; but, with Tokai's quality and joins, I'm not absolutely sure. Definitely not center-joined, though. I am sure that Gottfried would know. I haven't had the p/ups out to look in the cavities and get the surrounds off. It is definitely one-piece back.

btw: This pic?

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu103/Mick51_98/Tokai Custom Spalted/IMG_1552Large.jpg

I don't know what the others look like in person. This one is actually prettier in-hand than in the pics. I believe that it is second from the right.[/url]

That is one of the best Tokai LP style guitars I've ever seen! Makes me want to rob a bank just to get one :eek:

Only seen 1 other guitar that tops this ones appearance that features what appears to be the same sort of spalted maple. Isn't a Tokai though.
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/generalunrest/History%20LPC%20Ltd%20edn%20Shima%202005/

sweet! i can never make up my mind whether i like spalted tops or not, but that's only cosmetic. you can certainly tell from the rest of the pics that it's a quality guitar, the rosewood on the fingerboard looks really nice, and the back finish (which you mentioned) looks really nice as well.

:)

Hello Mick,
Yes I know that series! As far as I know there were only 4 of them built and I own one of its sisters. I wondered if it was a he or a she but over time I found out she definitely is female. No guitar can scream at you as her and no guitar can be as delicate, sweet and whispering at the same time. And it is far the best guitar I have ever played, seen or laid my hands on. The action is fantastic and it plays effortlessly. I use it during 90% of my gigs because it is so versatile. People always compliment me with my sound and although I own good pedals and have a good amplifier the secret is within this guitar. It just turns me on, I think we are very lucky in having been able to buy an instrument like this. I bought it in September 2007 and I could never understand that it took togps so long to sell the others. Well, it wasn?t his fault I guess, but people just did not see the tremendous opportunity here.
Here are some pics for a little family reunion. Most pics are from togps because he is much better at it than I am. The only thing is that the nitro seems a bit dull on the pics by togps (I guess due to the high amount of sunlight), in reality it shines like a mirror and the last pic taken by myself only reveals a glimpse of it.
IMG_2867CustomLarge.jpg

IMG_2868CustomLarge.jpg

IMG_2869CustomLarge.jpg

IMG_2870CustomLarge.jpg

IMG_2871CustomLarge.jpg

IMG_2872CustomLarge.jpg

TokaiLS240SM3.jpg

By the way, the solid spalted maple top consists of two bookmatched pieces, just like on your guitar. The back is just one piece of solid mahogany!

I think that these guitars are nothing short of stunning and I hope to be in a position to buy something of equal quality very soon...

Cherish and enjoy!

Best regards,
Darren/MM

Kappie - Good to see that a sibling is well-loved also. Each of these guitars has its own character. I don't doubt that the top on mine is two pieces, but I haven't been able to unambiguously find the join. When you actually get down on the top looking, it just doesn't seem to be there; exceptionally good craftsmanship. Besides, I would rather play it than search over it for details. Don't know about you, but I am amazed by just how good these stock p/ups are.

Hello Mole Man and Mick,
Mick, you are very right about the character. I am 100% sure that each of these guitars sounds different. I selected this one out of two guitars (not your guitar but another spalted maple one of the same series which was on sale on Ebay for quite a while). That guitar sounded totally different. Very very sweet and also transparent but different. Round, open, more woody and percussive but not as cutting as mine. That other guitar only weighted around 3400 grams, incredible for a solid Les Paul. My guitar is around 3800 grams, a very optimal weight for a solid guitar without any cheat Gibson sound holes. I would have liked to keep both but that would have been a little too much, so I kept this one and had to let go the other one.
You are right about the joint. It is almost undiscernable and I can only see it because of the different wood structure on each side. (only at some particular locations).
The pickups are amazing and am sure that I will NEVER EVER change them. I don't know what they are and where they come from, togps told me they are probably MK1?s or Keiyo but I it was my feeling that he wasn't 100% sure. Anyway, it can't get any better than this for me, sometimes one doesn't realize that he is on the top of the mountain already... :wink:
Cheers Herb

Mole Man said:
I think that these guitars are nothing short of stunning and I hope to be in a position to buy something of equal quality very soon...

Cherish and enjoy!

Best regards,
Darren/MM

I'm with you on that one Mole Man!! I have one on my shopping list :wink:

Are you kidding?

well, from time to time, it depens on the day, you know :lol: Most of the time I can't help it.

Nope. Solid flamed spalted maple top

It is an amazing top. Where all these custom orders come from?

togps said:
ganzua said:
It is an amazing top. Where all these custom orders come from?
www.tokaiguitar.de

Yes, I knew this :D I mean who order or why Tokai produces a custom guitar. There is no information on their web and I see custom orders from time to time. Right now there is one on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=390024752277&Category=2384&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1

BTW, togps, do you have a price list that you can e-mail?

Back