New Member Looking For Info On a Local Tokai ES

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paladin2019 said:
lewis_grey said:
Safe to say I'll try and catch the seller out on a few issues while I'm there....

Omit no detail when you report back! Rubbing my hands together with glee on this one :lol:

So I checked it out this morning...

First impressions were that this thing was HEAVY! Weighed more than my Les Paul, must have been north of 10 pounds. Next was the shape, proportions looked a little strange, curves didn't flow nicely. Lacquer was a real thick poly. General construction, neck angle etc wasn't actually horrible although far from premium wood.

Playing it a few things were immediately apparent...first was that it was set up very well and the hardware was good quality stuff. Stayed in tune good, intonation was perfect, no dead spots on the fret board, played pretty darn good. It has had some time and money spent on it for sure.

Unfortunately it was about as resonant as a breeze block and the plugged in tone was very thin on all settings, completely devoid of warmth, note sustain was good but not a pleasant sounding guitar.

If it was lighter and sounded better I may have made an offer (a low one admittedly), but I just couldn't see the point in spending any money on a dull sounding guitar with a massive question mark looming over it.

Anyway, the guy was pretty cool about it, seemed he genuinely didn't know much about it and seemed like my input on what I thought was helpful, but unfortunately it's not a good sounding guitar and that's what it ultimately boiled down to for me.

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck"

Latest posts

Back