lets see everyones LS150s

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
singemonkey said:
Diamond said:
I'm going to ask them to make me an LS92 with no paint on the top, just the natural maple and poly finish.
The back of the body and neck, and the sides, I want finished either like they finish the Gold Tops, or the Violin Finishes.
I think that will look killer, and different, and cheap, then I wont feel guilty that I kept an expensive model for myself. :)

Sure. But that's no reason not to get a once-piece back thrown in - especially when you're getting trade prices ;)

Your idea sounds wonderful though. Like a dark-back gold-top back with the natural top? That would be the absolute dog's bollocks. But maybe a super-light sunburst, almost invisible, just making the edges a hint darker the the middle.

The thing is, once you ask for an LS92 with a one piece back, then you might as well get an aluminium tailpiece and brass saddles, switchcraft switches, nitro, and suddenly you have an LS160. :)

Diamond said:
The thing is, once you ask for an LS92 with a one piece back, then you might as well get an aluminium tailpiece and brass saddles, switchcraft switches, nitro, and suddenly you have an LS160. :)

That's what I'm sayin' 8)

marcusnieman said:
jacco said:
wow! that goes straight into my top ten op best lp tops ever!

Same here.... I've never really been a fan of tobacco bursts until I saw that one.

I've been jonesing for one for a while, and almost picked one up in Tokyo when I was there in January. It was one of the LS-5 or something with holmes pickups. On sale too for about 100,000 yen, but it was a ridiculously heavy mo'fo and I had to have my Eddie JP this time! Ah, but next time.... :wink:

By the way, what an absolutely gorgeous pic of that TB!!!

Jason

singemonkey said:
Diamond said:

That's what I'm sayin' 8)

lol, nope, I'm too stingy to keep a 160.

I just kept myself an AST70 Goldstar, 2 tone sunburst that rings like Big Ben.

Seriously, I was at Andy McGibbon with it, he starts playing it and he says, ****, this thing is amazing, unplugged it was loud and bright and very acoustic, very jangly...I said thank you very much, packed it back in the box and said I'll keep this one for myself and I'll bring you another one. :)

Ok well my patience is being tested to that of a saint!
I ordered my LS150 in November, I started this thread in the beginning of January and I heard at the start of April that my guitar had left Japan, the latest is that Tokai UK will have thier shipment of guitars in Sheffield by the end of next week, so I am presuming it will be another two weeks at least before i get a sniff of it here in sunny London!
All I can say is it was a good job I havent been holing my breath!

I'm sure it will have all been worth it once I get it, but it doesnt really feel real anymore 4 months has stretched to 6 months blah blah blah.....
Sorry just needed to rant and vent!

JohnA said:
There's nothing worse than waiting!!

Receiving a broken guitar is worse than waiting.

Going to the dentist is worse than waiting.

Listening to Gary Moore.............................................................................................................................................

etc. etc.

stratman323 said:
JohnA said:
There's nothing worse than waiting!!

Receiving a broken guitar is worse than waiting.

Going to the dentist is worse than waiting.

Listening to Gary Moore.............................................................................................................................................

etc. etc.
er yes thanks for that!!!

It's worth waiting for a masterpiece.

Think of it this way, by the time it gets to you it will be an LS180. :)

so, this thread has some serious legs

I don't have a LS-150 but I do have a LS-320 & a Bacchus BLS-59, which I believe would be right in the range of a LS-150

my BLS-59 holds up quite well to my LS-320, so well in fact that it's just as good as a player; it's just not equipped with the high dollar, fancy lumber

what is a 'ballpark' price that I should expect to pay for a used LS-150 that is in excellent condition?
what will a LS-150 offer me as a player that my BLS-59 doesn't offer?

waiting for the replies .......................

Diamond said:
It's worth waiting for a masterpiece.

Think of it this way, by the time it gets to you it will be an LS180. :)

That's more like it! Thanks!
What's two weeks after waiting six months!?

MIJvintage said:
...I don't have a LS-150 but I do have a LS-320 & a Bacchus BLS-59, which I believe would be right in the range of a LS-150

my BLS-59 holds up quite well to my LS-320, so well in fact that it's just as good as a player; it's just not equipped with the high dollar, fancy lumber...

Sure, the BLS doesn't have a Jacaranda fingerboard, but the mahogany could easily be as good as the LS-320 (or maybe even better given the variances present in woods).
The fretboard on the BLS may be Madagascan RW, which is pretty close to Braz for smoothness and hardness, depending on the individual piece.

A new LS-150/160 can be landed at your door for probably USD $1800, so you should be able to get a good used one for $1200, but you don't see too many for sale!

MIJvintage said:

The "Tokai" decal on the headstock...there's a certain 'mystique' attached to that name, don't you think, compared to Bacchus? :D

Diamond said:
MIJvintage said:

The "Tokai" decal on the headstock...there's a certain 'mystique' attached to that name, don't you think, compared to Bacchus? :D

Yes, Tokai is a cooler name, virtually nobody knows the Bacchus name.

MIJvintage said:
quote]

Probably not a lot, both are great guitars. I've owned both Bacchus and Tokai, and although there are specific guitars that I liked better than others, $ for $ there isn't a lot to choose between them IMO.

Wow, just what I want on any of my guitars, a cool name :roll:
?What?s in a name?? to borrow from Shakespeare.
I have guitars with names that sound like Bunny :lol:
Bunnys stack up quite well to guitars that cost 3, 4, even 5 times as much 8)
I could care less what name is on any of my guitars.
If it had S**T on the head stock, and it was a great guitar, I would be proud to own some S**T guitars :D

From the Bacchus & Tokai LP types I have played & owned, I came up with a list of likely attributes.

Bacchus seems to generally have the larger neck profiles, particularly on the higher end stuff; the BLS-59 & the BLS-120 examples really are encroaching on early 1980s EGF territory AFA meaty neck profiles.

I can point to a 1981 LS-50, a 1981 LS-120, and my 2000 LS-320 as all having nearly identical neck profiles, which all three are quite noticeably smaller than the Bacchus 59 & 120 examples.

AFA pickups, I?m not at all crazy about any of the pickups in any of the Bacchus or Tokai examples I have played, with the exception of the SD Seth Lovers in the LS-320.

AFA production numbers & attention to detail, I believe the Bacchus guitars will offer an edge over Tokai, even at the LS-320 level.
The higher end Bacchus guitars seem to have more of a hand made/boutique flare, where as the Tokai stuff seems to have more of a production line feel, again, even at the highest levels of Tokai.
IMO the Bacchus stuff is accordingly also likely much more difficult to source.
Bacchus LPs generally seem to be lighter in weight :D than Tokais .......

Having said that, I have played some great guitars from both makers.

Getting my hands on a used LS-150, and at the right price, would be very interesting indeed.

we're talking guitars, which by brand name IMO have nothing to do with the inherit attributes of particular writers, unless you can come up with clones of said writer & clones of their history ..................

as much as I may, or may not care for a particular writer's works, generally I couldn't give a rat's *** AFA as their history, or the value of their name

that isn't my concern; guitars are :wink: ..................

Latest posts

Back