Just won a Tokai ST 80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kitarist said:
I have another question to ask... how good are Tokai GS 100 (new ones..)?

They're ugly! Why would anyone want to buy one, when they can buy an 1984 or 85 Goldstar ST50 for less money?

As for this ST80, I can't believe how unwise you have been! I agree with everything John has said. I would never buy from a seller who doesn't reply to my questions. This guitar should be fairly easy to identify - you need to see a clear pic of that number on the end of the fretboard, & you need to see a pic of the letter stamped on the pickups. If one says 80, & the other says E, you should be fine, & you should get a decent guitar. Why would a seller of a real ST80 not post a pic of that number in his advert? I know I would. :eek:

Trust me, I am one of the people who bought what I thought was an ST80, & I got an ST60 instead. It's an unusually nice ST60, but I still paid an ST80 price for it. You need to do your homework & ask the right questions before spending 1000 Euros!

And you shouldn't be asking your questions after you have bought the guitar. I hope it really is an ST80 that you have bought.

he does have 100% feedback. It looks ok so far. He admits to replacing the pickups, and including the originals. The finish does look like Lacquer to me. The decal looks original, the tuners and knobs look correct..

I looked at the neck, from the small shot its hard to tell, but it looked like a V neck profile by looking at the sharp cut shown on the base of the neck. It also looks like there is checking on the necks finish which could be due to a lacquer finish.

But, if the seller does not provide you with info on the pickups or any other question, i would be concerned.

Remember though, even if they are "E" pickups, it still could be an ST 60.... I would say that the guitar is definately not anything lower than a ST 60 due to the two piece body.

sometimes the factory would stamp a red "ST 80" or "ST 60" in the neck cavity. Mabey he could respond by showing the neck cavity and a better shot of the neck.

I wouldnt pay till he responded though.

kmarccoco said:
Remember though, even if they are "E" pickups, it still could be an ST 60.... I would say that the guitar is definately not anything lower than a ST 60 due to the two piece body.

Very true. As togps said recently, in another thread, quite a number of the "ST80"s sold are actually ST60s - nice guitars, but worth a fair bit less, as they have a poly finish. And togps knows what he's talking about - along with villager, those two guys must have handled the majority of high end Springys in Europe at some point.

Very true Mike, mabey they can weigh in on this thread. But with out more info, I think they will agree on whats been said here.

bottom line, the seller should provide more pics before kitarist pays..

the questions should be asked in his language so he knows exactly what is being asked..

Kitarist said:
So i just won this guitar...

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160299923191

So can you say its really the real deal? is it worth the 1000EUs or its just the hype :D :D ?

Kitarist, Ebay rule #1: Ask - before you bid. If you now won the guitar - it's a purchase commitment. No doubt! If you don't pay, the seller can insist for compensation. Simple!
Also you can ask the forum, before you bid.. Have advantage of the huge experience of this great forum.

So back to the guitar: I sold it one year ago to this Ebay seller. He paid Euro 1340 for it. All is original, following 1979 ST80 specs. It is a fantastic player with even huge collectors potential.

Here some detail pics of my ex-love:

img5712mediumwv9.jpg

img5714mediumvp3.jpg

img5715mediummi4.jpg

img5722mediumsz6.jpg

img5724mediumpo7.jpg

img5718mediumum2.jpg

img5720mediumis6.jpg

img5723mediumru2.jpg

Nice one Gottfried!! :D

And well done Kitarist, looks like your gamble paid off! This time!

Why the seller didn't use your pics Gottfried I don't know, he would have probably got a lot better price if he had done!

Thank god its real.. Sorry if i'm paranoid a little i just dont want to get scammed. Anyway any takers if i dont like the guitar to buy it ? :D :D (i'm a player not a collector...)

JohnA said:
Why the seller didn't use your pics Gottfried I don't know, he would have probably got a lot better price if he had done!

+ 1.

Kitarist, you were lucky! You have benefitted from the seller's inability, or unwillingness, to advertise his product properly. His loss, your gain.

It's not one for me as it's maple, but I'm sure you'll be able to sell it, on here, for 1000Euros without any problem, now that Gottfried has confirmed it's authenticity. That's if you don't like it, of course. ST80s do have a certain magic about them, so I would be surprised if you don't like it.

Yep!!! I'm still waiting for his mail to give me all the details (my bank doesnt allow to do bank transfer if they dont provide all the info

JohnA said:

He didn't got aware that I do document and report detailed, every Tokai coming in my stock...

Gottfried, Nice save!! Thats the one for sure. You sure hit a homerun on your post.

That is why I love this web site!! plenty of great info and people to ask about these guitars!!

I believe this site can make everyone who reads the posts an expert in no time. This will help 7okai owners as vintage market embraces 7okai(both vintage and new) in a more worldly fashion. 7okai guitars, in my opinion, will only go up in price, especially the vintage production years.

Nice purchase Kuitar! you better pay him before he re lists it !!!! LOL

i will pay him of course but i hope i'll be able to sell it if i wont like it.

If you want to get the guitar for the same price + shippping you can PM ME right now (if i will sell it...)

Thanks for your help again people!!!!

AWAY..AWAY... with this Tokai...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=471441

Strange Tokai forum member Kitarist :roll:

togps said:
AWAY..AWAY... with this Tokai...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=471441

Strange Tokai forum member Kitarist :roll:

I have to agree with Gottfried. It does create a very strange impression when someone is trying to sell a guitar before they have even paid for it! No wonder the people on the other forum have a poor impression of Tokais.

If you're not sure about a guitar, why buy it?

Strange... :roll:

Very odd behaivour indeed! I've been known to sell a guitar after owning it for a week, but never before I played it :roll:

i'm not selling it but i'm just saying that if i wont like it i will indeed sell it. I dont collect guitars i play them so i expect the guitar to be great.I'm not one of those guys that pay way more than what they are worth so the guitar can just stand in the corner collecting dust and waiting to be sold for loads of cash after few years.

Sorry if i offended anyone with this but AGAIN i'm a player not a collector...

JohnA said:
I've been known to sell a guitar after owning it for a week, but never before I played it :roll:

A week? Surely a couple of days, John?

:lol:

Back