80's Tokai Breezysound - Help with details!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouDur

Reaction score
Hello fine folks, new to the forum as I just picked up an 80's Breezy guitar (well I think/hope).

Would love a bit of help identifying the year/make. Looks to be a TE50-N, or would that be a TE55? Unfortunately it didn't have it's original pickups, so they won't be of any help. Here's the info I've got to go on:

-Neck plate: numbers are eroded but they are 21053 (indicating it's a 56-60 replica)
-Neck heel: 5=3 stamp (not pictured)
-Neck pickup cavity: 5=4 stamp (have not looked under the bridge pickup yet)
-Control cavity: 5=2 N Y stamp
-Pots: 1M Noble pots with green "chiclet" cap (seems that was common)

With the non spaghetti script logo but telecaster appropriate headstock shape I'm guessing it's anywhere between an '84 and '86 maybe? I'm also wondering about the wood, I assume this one would be alder and not sen?

If anyone has any insight that would be fab. Thanks folks!

Louis

view

view

view

view

view

view

view

Sorry, newb here, so I couldn't figure out how to post the images properly... This should be better!

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Sigmania said:
What pickups did you say it has? TEA or TEB?

Unfortunately the original pickups were switched at some point, so they're long gone

With the six saddle bridge, it’s kinda looking like a TTE55N?

That’s my best guess. Maybe somebody else knows?

There are a lot of posts on here with people trying to improve the sound of their breezy‘s. One thing that comes up over and over again is the 1 Meg ohm pots. People often switch their pick ups, but the culprit may actually be the pots. Folks seem to put 250 K ohm pots in there to improve the sound. Something to think about if you start tinkering with it.

Sigmania said:
There are a lot of posts on here with people trying to improve the sound of their breezy‘s. One thing that comes up over and over again is the 1 Meg ohm pots. People often switch their pick ups, but the culprit may actually be the pots. Folks seem to put 250 K ohm pots in there to improve the sound. Something to think about if you start tinkering with it.

Thanks Sigmania, I did see some of those posts and will definitely consider it (keeping the original pots in case I ever sell it). I'm definitely going to be changing the pickups as the ones in there right now are very high output (18K) and want something more traditional. Thanks for chiming in!

And that looks more like alder than sen to me. I am not seeing the high contrast you normally see with sen.

Also, sen seems to have dark pores and doesn't look so closed grained like alder. The closed grain is why alder is used for painted bodies.

My sen ash ST100:

hyzpCe6.jpg

0CJkwAY.jpg

I don't know though. Maybe someone else knows. I have been tricked before by wood grain. 8)

If it is a U neck it is a TTE55N.

If it is a V neck it is a TTE85N

Because it has the 6 saddle bridge.

It is not the TTE70 because the body is not bound.

And it's not a bender or rosewood.

Sigmania said:
And that looks more like alder than sen to me. I am not seeing the high contrast you normally see with sen.

Also, sen seems to have dark pores and doesn't look so closed grained like alder. The closed grain is why alder is used for painted bodies.

My sen ash ST100:

hyzpCe6.jpg

0CJkwAY.jpg

I don't know though. Maybe someone else knows. I have been tricked before by wood grain. 8)

Thanks Sig, I feel like you’re right about it being alder. Don’t think I’ll get a smoking gun for the year of production, but assuming between ‘84 and ‘86 before they switched to the new headstock shape?…

By 1986 they were using a - instead of = in the production code. This is a difficult period to date. I believe that changed sometime in 1985?

So I’m guessing 1984 or 1985.

Are there any numbers on the side of the Noble pots? Those should be original.

The other wrinkle is that the logo didn’t change in all markets at the same time. UK was first because of legal action by CBS. Block logo began in the UK by October 1982.

Sigmania said:
By 1986 they were using a - instead of = in the production code. This is a difficult period to date. I believe that changed sometime in 1985?

So I’m guessing 1984 or 1985.

Are there any numbers on the side of the Noble pots? Those should be original.

Good to know about the - vs =
I'm in North America but it is said to have been purchased in Japan (secondhand info though)
Pots are a bit nondescript and only say Noble and the info in the pics
Gorgeous ST100 by the way with the flame maple neck and all!

uc

uc

Sigmania said:
1984/85 catalog

j9WJ3Gr.jpg

PxBW1b9.png

From looking at the catalog pic and description this definitely seems like a TTE55, alder body '58 model. The 5=x would indicate May '84 or '85. Close enough for me! Appreciate the help and info Sigmania, many thanks!

Louis

Back