Just bought a super real se 700 strat, opinions??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jacco said:
But to explain: I'm not fond of the natural fin/rosewood board combo but all the UK guys seem to like it!

Yep!

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

:wink:

Juni41 said:
Any feedback on theses S8 pickups?
How do they sound compare to the SE-1?
I know they were also on the SE600.

Hi, I will let you know, just picked up an 81 SE-700 Super Real rosewood neck, which has the SE-1 pups flat pole alnico's, 2P Japanese Ash.
I owned a 80 SE-600 maple neck, with S8's and I always preferred the neck position.

Arriving soon....

daa6.jpg

44a6.jpg

ce0d.jpg

7fbd.jpg

5c44.jpg

Udonitron said:
Glad you bought that one man...remember seeing it on Yahoo? for ages (looks to be the same one), no clue why however! Post lots of pics! :D

How do you guys buy things on y! japan? Do you speak japanese or have some sort of translation software?

Use Rinkya :D

As for translations, I use Google Chrome as my browser and just install the Google Translator extension. It will translate the entire page within seconds although the translations are pretty funny at best lol.

A really nice guitar this 81 SE-700 Super Real, i also love the SE-1 pups, they are the 4 conductor types, and are HOT.
I was impressed with the feel, and the sound, compared to the S8 I had in my SE-600, to me the SE-1 sounded better in all positions. It really gave a fat PAF type of sound in the neck position, and your normal sounds as expected in the bridge (brighter), the neck profile is a bit thicker than my Tokai ST-42 rosewood, more of a vintage C, but comfy....

The 1981 Greco catalogue lists the SE-1's at 12,000 yen and the S8's at 10,000 yen

I also have a 83/84 Fender Squier SQ5xxxx strat CST-55 with the same type of pups in the bridge and neck, but is only wired in the outer conductors. It is the same neck profile as the ST-42.
The SE-700 has wiring in all conductors.

grecoandsquier018.jpg

grecoandsquier021.jpg

grecoandsquier006.jpg

grecoandsquier002.jpg

grecoandsquier005.jpg

grecoandsquier003.jpg

Here are some pics of my Squier SQ CST-55 showing the pups

grecoandsquier013.jpg

grecoandsquier023.jpg

I just scooped this one up for a good deal. It looks to have P90's in it but in a rail type configuration? Anyone ever seen these before? REALLY interested in hearing them! I have NEVER seen these pups on a Greco and in that strange staggered layout where the 1st and 2nd pickups are close to each other. Those should sound nice and thick. Nice fat neck on it too. Haha check out the wraps on those strings! :D

600x450-2010091900001.jpg
600x450-2010091900002.jpg

600x450-2010091900003.jpg

292b.jpg

Very interesting!
I'm not familiar with these pups & configuartion but I hope there's no extra routing underneath..

Well if they are original, I would assume there would be a rectangular route to contain both pups so close and a regular or slightly wider route for the neck pup. I have seen Greco P90 Strat pups before and they are identical in size to these but they were the standard pole pieces with cream covers and not the rails. Looking forward to getting and dissecting it :D

EDIT :: grammar issues...argh

Udonitron said:
I just scooped this one up for a good deal. It looks to have P90's in it but in a rail type configuration? Anyone ever seen these before?

They don't look anything like P90s.

I disagree. Perhaps you are thinking of the regular P90's found in Les Paul's and Junior's? They definitely are NOT the same size as a regular single coil but rather the same as Greco's oversized Maxon P90 single coils they put in some of their Super Sound models.

These here, enjoy :D:

c3poppp-img565x600-1284040321syaeqd91171.jpg

c3poppp-img503x600-1284040321ezgzwr91171.jpg

Sorry mate, you may call those Maxon's version of a P90 but they do not look like P90s by any stretch of the imagination. The "regular" P90 you mention is the original and only P90! :)

P90s have screw pole pieces, and a wide flat coil with 2 bar magnets on the bottom:
http://www.premierguitar.com/gear/P...90_Soapbar_Pickup_Set_Black_Vintage_Wind.aspx

What do your Maxons look like inside?

If you agree that the coil has something to do with how different pickups sound then those Maxon pickups will not sound the same even if they have been able to mimic the basic electrical specs of a P90.

Latest posts

Back