Just bought a super real se 700 strat, opinions??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koubayashi said:
Why do so many (among members here as well) change the parts then?

I don't mean to argue with you :) My opinion about the part-changing is that some if it is an internet (discussion forum) trend. There's a lot of guys winding pickups in their garages that want you to change your pickups and buy theirs, and throw in a set of pots at $25/pot as well. That's not to say there aren't some legitimate aftermarket upgrades out there.

When I play through a set of Ibanez Super 58's or Gotoh PAF's I sound the way I like and feel comfortable. If I ever get another Gibson LP, I would probably put Super 70 pickups in it again :)

Koubayashi said:
muccax said:
hi
i must say the pots in fujigen guitars are just as good as cts or what they are called ,,,, i think people want cts pots becourse that was what fender and gibson used ,,,, i got a set cts for a fender some time ago ,,,, and i was not impressed :(
all the best
otto

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't CTS' products fully or partially made in Asia since mid-70's?

Yep, same with Grover, Kluson and loads of other bits too.

villager said:
JV search, i think udon is referring to the DRY-1982 in his mint collection, which are very good PU, but are not as well regarded as the earlier DRY-Z...

Ah, fair enough, yes Dry-Zs are the big ones.
Is the Dry-1982 actually any different in reality, like did they continue to make Dry-Zs but just changed the name along with the change to Mint Collection?

It would be interesting to pull some apart, but nobody is going to (or should) do that! :)

Dry's were the continuation of the Z's but since Maxon was no longer making the pups for Greco, they did it themselves. They are more boutique sounding vs. the Dry Z's, that is the best way to describe them. REALLY nice sounding pups & I prefer them to the Z's I think

jacco said:
I had the same problem with the switch so I decided to swap the pickguard & electronics for a new pickguard with 5-way switch, CTS pots, Mustard caps and Suhr V60LP pups 8)
I like the fat net very much but after some time I found the original pups were too thin sounding and trebly. How do you like them?

Hey Jacco,

Did you just buy a Fender '57 8 hole pickguard and it fit perfectly to the existing holes in your Greco or were they off? Cheers man

Udonitron said:
jacco said:
I had the same problem with the switch so I decided to swap the pickguard & electronics for a new pickguard with 5-way switch, CTS pots, Mustard caps and Suhr V60LP pups 8)
I like the fat net very much but after some time I found the original pups were too thin sounding and trebly. How do you like them?

Hey Jacco,

Did you just buy a Fender '57 8 hole pickguard and it fit perfectly to the existing holes in your Greco or were they off? Cheers man

Well, I went over to an acquaintance of mine; Erik van de Haar of Haar Guitars (which you should check out BTW if you're after a good handmade Fender copy that's not MIJ, he's one of the best relicers out there) and he put it on.. yes, it fitted exactly and I think it was an All Parts, not sure though, I will ask.

I got this yesterday, 1980 ST55. The combination of a natural finish and a rosewood fretboard is pretty ugly I think, but very nice grain! I bought it for a project; Erik van de Haar is gonna refinish it in nitro, don't know what color yet. Any suggestions?

1980ST55.jpg

Well each to his own I guess. Her sister below is very upset to be called ugly :wink: :lol:

IMG_0433.jpg

I'd leave her just as she is.

Dave

Hmm, didn't expect someone to like this combination :wink:
Still, I'm thinking surf green or daphne blue..

Is yours a 3 piece body?

I am not a strat guy so don't know much about these Tokai's; is this a steel bridge?

jacco said:
Is yours a 3 piece body?

Yep, it's a 3 piece body - an 80/81 springy sound. I love it. I think quite a few people will like this colour combo. But then again I'm not much into solid colours prefer natual woods/sunbursts/flame etc plus gold for LPs and white for strats of course. Always wanted a white reliced one with a rosewood board.

I used to be more of an LP man myself but I'm slowly coming round to strats and teles. :D

Dave

Cool thanks Jacco. I think you should get a mint green pickguard and call it good on that ST55. The grain is too nice to cover up! Unless you painted it with a translucent finish so you could see the grain through the light paint. I would leave her original minus redoing it in nitro and a mint green pickguard :D

You guys gave me a great idea; a thin layer of transluscent olympic white with a mint green pickguard!

Udo; I will talk to Erik tomorrow so I will get back to you on the pickguard

Udonitron said:
I don't get it... :-?

Hmmm, had to much whisky I guess
But to explain: I'm not fond of the natural fin/rosewood board combo but all the UK guys seem to like it!

Latest posts

Back