n(b)gd: Greco RW-700

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soggy Donkey

Reaction score
I've been trying to find this model for a long time, and then I've found it, but haven't been able to afford it (or to convince myself that I should pay as much as a collector wanted for it). Long-short of it is, I found a Ron Wood model on the opposite side of the planet and bought it. The seller was responsive and communicative and shipped it fast, all of which I took as a good sign. The problem was they shipped it single-boxed, in a box that **jUsT fIt** -- the tip of the headstock and the tailpiece/strap button were touching the end of the box. And it was shipped with I believe full tension on the strings. I don't know. I just know that the box rattled when I picked it up at the post office -- never a good sign -- and there was a pronounced push-through circle at the bottom of the box...

So I open it up and thankfully, I think I got really lucky: no damage to the neck or headstock. But the trapeze tailpiece had broken. Both the strap-button part and the tailpiece itself. Ugh. There is some superficial damage to the body -- marks through the paint from the pieces and strings rattlin' around, etc. Not great, but also not terrible. I play my guitars more than I look at them.

I assessed the damage, did a few futile searches for "Greco RW-700 tailpiece" in every permutation. Which yielded exactly zero hits. I don't know how many of these were made in 1974 or '75, but let's just say it must not be a lot, and those that exist are hiding in cases. I did find a gold 1975 Greco/Tokai trapeze tailpiece in the same general state as the pickups, so I swallowed the credit card yelps and bought it. I am going to attempt a repair on the broken pieces with JBWeld, which some claim will withstand the string tension. But I doubt it will work and I'll probably end up with a string wound. I'll keep you updated.

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_4544.JPG
    IMG_4544.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4545.JPG
    IMG_4545.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4546.JPG
    IMG_4546.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4547.JPG
    IMG_4547.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4548.JPG
    IMG_4548.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4549.JPG
    IMG_4549.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4551.JPG
    IMG_4551.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4554.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4555.JPG
    IMG_4555.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4557.JPG
    IMG_4557.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4559.JPG
    IMG_4559.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 0
I hope, you did find some solution for the tailpiece. How does the guitar sound and play?

Yep, found a Greco tailpiece of the same era and same patina, just different type -- trapeze instead of solid brass. Looks great, and probably most people would think it's original unless they'd actually seen a Wood model. I'm very happy with it.

It's the best sounding guitar I've ever played. Granted, I have probably only owned 10 guitars in my life, but compared to my '79 SG, which was an incredible sounding dual HB guitar, the RW blows it away. The frets could be redone maybe, and the propensity to neck-dive is worrying, but those pickups and the feel of the neck make it my favorite guitar.
MLcAVtG.jpg
PVHXZmt.jpg
diuqzDa.jpg

Back