Headstock angle

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pages plexitone

Reaction score
I tried searching but the search engine returned a bunch of stuff that I wasn't after. I already apologize as I am sure it's been asked a bunch.

But, we all gravitate toward Tokai because of their consistently high quality, attention to detail and we probably all know the story of Billy Gibbons and Joe Walsh loaning instruments for them to copy.

One thing has puzzled me about Gibson Vs Tokai. You'd think Gibson would get the headstock angle right. I mean, right? But their headstock angle specs are different than the 18degrees Tokai uses. Anyone know why?

Been gigging my tokai so much I've given it tonight off for the new years gig BTW 2 gibbies (An ES175 and an R6), a Gretsch duo jet and an Edwards Jeff Beck tele are doing the heavy lifing tonight

I think it is probably a cost issue. The amount of wood needed for the neck (at least if you make it from one piece) is determined by the distance measured from the bottom of the fingerboard (=top of the mahogany neck) to the heel of the neck joint or the back of the headstock, whichever is the greater. The distance to the back of the headstock appears to be much greater than the distance measured to the bottom of the heel, especially at a relative large angle of 18 degrees, so you can save on the amount of wood needed by reducing the angle of the headstock. For an 18 degrees headstock you at least need a piece of mahogany which is abt. 68 m in thickness. By reducing it to 14 degrees you can use a piece of mahogany which has a thickness of about 56 mm. So you have a cost saving on the wood of almost 20%. I am not saying this is the reason but it could be one of the causes. The original Gibsons were probably not built with the cost aspect prominently in mind, but later models might have been slightly adapted in order to optimize production costs and to save on the wood. And Gibsons are mass fabricated whereas Tokai's are not.
I am not sure if 18 degrees versus 14 degrees make such a great difference in tone. I only know that I don't have my Gibbo anymore (okay it was a LP Studio of poor quality) and still have my Tokai's ;-)

so, DE says Gibbys have a 3 degree variance?

as much as I (figuratively) pick apart details of my guitars, I have yet to determine the head stock angle of any Gibson style guitar I have owned

Guess I was never really concerned with it ????

Anyone else in this boat?

pages plexitone said:
I tried searching but the search engine returned a bunch of stuff that I wasn't after. I already apologize as I am sure it's been asked a bunch.

But, we all gravitate toward Tokai because of their consistently high quality, attention to detail and we probably all know the story of Billy Gibbons and Joe Walsh loaning instruments for them to copy.

One thing has puzzled me about Gibson Vs Tokai. You'd think Gibson would get the headstock angle right. I mean, right? But their headstock angle specs are different than the 18degrees Tokai uses. Anyone know why?

Been gigging my tokai so much I've given it tonight off for the new years gig BTW 2 gibbies (An ES175 and an R6), a Gretsch duo jet and an Edwards Jeff Beck tele are doing the heavy lifing tonight

I don't know about the modern gear, if that what you are asking?
but if you are referring to the original Gibson Electrics, then...

All Gibson electrics built up to 1965 were all built with a 17deg pitch to enable the strings to firmly press against the nut, but, this also weakened the headstock because of the straight grain construction of the neck.
In late 1965, the headstock pitch was marginally reduced from 17 deg to 14 deg, in an effort to make it less accident-prone. Gibson later reverted to a 17 deg pitch after the introduction of a reinforcing volute on the back of the headstock.

Mick

so tokai was being both economical,saving money on wood with the lower ls models by making the headstock with 14 degree pitch.
While for the more expensive ls models that are correct to the originals it was more about correct specs!

Clever cost cutting where needed 8)

MOJO HOBO

Latest posts

Back