Tokai Les Paul... who knows...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxprs

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've found myself interested in Tokai, but completely newbye, then I've discovered that there is a Tokai Forum... WOW !!! :eek:
Ok, so I decided that I need (well... maybe that I want) a Les Paul; What should I do? Go to the store, try out a bunch of Gibson and see the best for my needs? Search on eBay some good deals?
I'm sure that if I get a 5000$ Gibson Les Paul I won't be disappointed, but that's way out of my budget, and when we talk about a 1500/2000$ Les Paul I'm not sure that they sound good only because there is Gibson written on the headstock. :D That's why I started looking for high quality copies, and I've read abuot people that prefer Tokai over Gibson.
But there are so many model, and I don't really know the differences; so, would you mind helping a brother out?.
First of all, should I go used or new? There are a couple of used tokai that I was watching yesterday: one is a early '80 pre lawsuit Tokai Les Paul, all original, not very cheap (1800$) but if they are worth it I can afford it.
The second is a 2009 LS150 with a great flame top, cheaper but without pickups. Who cares, I can buy some BBs to put in it...
I've seen some videos on YouTube of a LS150F with BB in the neck and another pickup in the bridge, and it sounds great. By the way, are L150 and L150F is the same?
Anyway, these are only few that I've found quickly... if you say that other models can be a deal I'll try searching for them.
On the other side, it doesn't really need to be used; if there is a model that I can buy from a Shop, no matter if from Japan or wherever, that you know that sound like a real Les Paul, that's ok.
My priority is the tone, not the appearance...

Ok, That's all, but if you need me to tell you more information I will.

Thanks in advance
Max

LS150F is a LS150 with a flame top rather than a plain top.

Based on your budget, you can not get a better Les Paul for the money than a LS150 or 150F, just pick one you like the look of, and don't forget to ask the weight if you are buying on-line, there are a few heavy ones around.

An LS95 is basically a LS150 without a nitro finish and with a 2 piece back rather than a one piece, if neither of those things bother you get a LS95 instead and save a few euro :)

If i compare my Gibsons with my Tokais in the same price group (1500$ - 2500$), the most distinctive external difference is the nut. Tokai nut is made of bone, gibson is made of plastic. Then there are other differereces not that obvious. I love both my Japanese market LS150 and Gibson LP STD's. I have no experience about UK market LS150 models.

For your budget, I'd take this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-Love-Rock-Nitro-Fret-Edge-long-tenon-MINTy-518-/200656073770?pt=Guitar&hash=item2eb808b42a

So

much

WANT!

JohnA said:

Based on your budget, you can not get a better Les Paul for the money than a LS150 or 150F, just pick one you like the look of, and don't forget to ask the weight if you are buying on-line, there are a few heavy ones around.

An LS95 is basically a LS150 without a nitro finish and with a 2 piece back rather than a one piece, if neither of those things bother you get a LS95 instead and save a few euro :)

Oh, no, they don't bother me at all as long as it doesn't affect the tone.
What I wonder is if the early '80 has to be considered superior than the LS95 or LS150, tone wise. I read somewhere that they can be compared to the pre historic Gibson Les Paul, or even better.
Would you guys go for a LS150 or would you put a little more money to get the vintage Tokai?

Max

maxprs said:
What I wonder is if the early '80 has to be considered superior than the LS95 or LS150, tone wise. I read somewhere that they can be compared to the pre historic Gibson Les Paul, or even better.
Would you guys go for a LS150 or would you put a little more money to get the vintage Tokai?

Max

It would help to know what model it is.

If it's the base model LS-50 then it will have a few changes from what people consider to be the LP recipe. These are mainly: 14 degree headstock angle, 3 piece top and poly finish.

Higher models (LS-80 up) have specs similar to the early Gibson LPs.

maxprs said:
JohnA said:

Oh, no, they don't bother me at all as long as it doesn't affect the tone.

Max

The tone of a current LS92 with MK11 pickups is comparable to a current Gibson 'Historic', and the Gibson 'experts/fanboys' will tell you the current 'Historics' are the best guitars Gibson has ever made.
But, if you want something beyond just the tone then an LS150F/160 is an option.

I'm asking the seller which model is the early '80 Tokai for sale, so I'll let you know. Quite interested in the LS92, since there are some not expensive.
Juste saw one on eBay from New Zeland. Anybody has experience for guitars shipped from that place?

The seller can't tell the model, maybe LS60, but it's not fully original and made up using some Gibson components... so I don't care for that.
There are a couple of LS50 early '80s on eBay for about 1300$. I'd like to know if they are supposed to be better (tonewise) than let's say a LS95 / LS150, or even the LS92 that is available from New Zealand.

I would pick an LS150 over an older LS50 - no doubt.

As a Tokai and Gibson owner I can honestly tell you that my LPs were nowhere as good as my LS150F, however I have hand wound pickups on it.

The LS92 will be very close to the LS150 but less accurate.

looktoyourorb said:

As a Tokai and Gibson owner I can honestly tell you that my LPs were nowhere as good as my LS150F, however I have hand wound pickups on it.

Are hand wound pickups a special order or a modification that you've done to the original pickups? When you buy a Tokai I wonder if you have to think of a pickups replacement or if the stock set is as good as the classic 57 or BBs.

maxprs said:
looktoyourorb said:

Are hand wound pickups a special order or a modification that you've done to the original pickups? When you buy a Tokai I wonder if you have to think of a pickups replacement or if the stock set is as good as the classic 57 or BBs.

I've played the Tokai MK11s side by side with BBs.
First thing you notice is a slightly higher volume on the BBs...to some people that interprets as "better", but it's not, it's just louder...the MK11s are great sounding pickups.
Then we tried a set of SD Pearly Gates in the Tokai, slightly better clean tone, but almost identical with distortion.
Best sounding pickups we tried in a few Tokais, Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs...beautiful clean tone, but again not a huge difference with distortion.

It's a nice LS-60. I think the price is a bit high though for that one, though. No case either.

It does look original. Nice tobacco burst, original pickups which I always like the sound of.

Maybe wait for a better deal to come along.

Cali Girl said:
It's a nice LS-60. I think the price is a bit high though for that one, though. No case either.

It does look original. Nice tobacco burst, original pickups which I always like the sound of.

Maybe wait for a better deal to come along.

I can try the "make offer" option :wink:
Are the pickups hot? I prefer smooth with low outputs ...
How they would compare with the mkII of the LS150 and other models?

Thks

maxprs said:

I sourced the pickups from Catswhiskers as they wind them as you want. There is nothing wrong with the stock pickups at all, I just wanted an overwound open coil alnico 5 PAF in the bridge mixed with a low wind covered Alnico 2 in the neck . (Jimmy Page looks if you prefer).

Now that LS50 in the UK is very nice indeed and has the right color for that type of top. Here is my LS150F so you can compare looks and see what makes you tick.

IMG_0320.jpg

looktoyourorb said:
maxprs said:

I sourced the pickups from Catswhiskers as they wind them as you want. There is nothing wrong with the stock pickups at all, I just wanted an overwound open coil alnico 5 PAF in the bridge mixed with a low wind covered Alnico 2 in the neck . (Jimmy Page looks if you prefer).

Now that LS50 in the UK is very nice indeed and has the right color for that type of top. Here is my LS150F so you can compare looks and see what makes you tick.

IMG_0320.jpg

Wait a second...is your guitar Violin Finish, looks like HDC (Heritage Dark Cherry) to me.

Yes, the finish is VF but it is really hard to capture on a picture - in terms of looks it is pretty much like my old LP honey burst (except better!!!).

looktoyourorb said:
maxprs said:

That's a great looking Les Paul, congrat.
By the way, the seller has accepted my offer of 800? (about 1230$); good discount I think, and being within Europe a don't have the custom fees to pay.
I'll let you know what I think about that guitar as soon as I receive it (crossed fingers) :roll:
Thanks everybody for your help, great forum this one

Max

Latest posts

Back