Tokai Les Paul... who knows...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff!

Once you get it make sure you have it setup then go to a shop to compare it to a LP standard in terms of playability, sustain etc... That will make you mind up in terms of pickups too. If you want new ones look up Catwhiskers on the bay, they are great and much cheaper than some other hand wound replacement units - you could also get some Bare Knuckle mules as so many LP owners have these instead of the burstbuckers (just got 2 pairs of BKP for cheap for my Destroyer and my next build!).

looktoyourorb said:
Good stuff!

Once you get it make sure you have it setup then go to a shop to compare it to a LP standard in terms of playability, sustain etc... That will make you mind up in terms of pickups too. If you want new ones look up Catwhiskers on the bay, they are great and much cheaper than some other hand wound replacement units - you could also get some Bare Knuckle mules as so many LP owners have these instead of the burstbuckers (just got 2 pairs of BKP for cheap for my Destroyer and my next build!).

Thanks for the tips...
I see you are a PRS user, as I am. what would it be to put some PRS pickups in a good Les Paul as Tokais are? Let's say 57/08, or 59/09.
I have a PRS Sunburst 22 with 57/08, really killer axe !!!
I know that it's hard and expensive to find those pickups out of a guitar, but just curious to know if someone has tried.

Max

A Tokai would be great with either 59/09s or 57/08s - I do not have these but I have the equally wonderful 53/10s, the 245s and the RP pickups.

Yes I do like PRS guitars, I consider my Tokai LS150 as equal to my SC245 - it is that good.

looktoyourorb said:
A Tokai would be great with either 59/09s or 57/08s - I do not have these but I have the equally wonderful 53/10s, the 245s and the RP pickups.

Yes I do like PRS guitars, I consider my Tokai LS150 as equal to my SC245 - it is that good.

I was nearly buying a limited SC245 Mccarty with 57/08 last week, because I wanted a Les Paul like guitar and I know that PRS sounds and plays great. After watching many clips I gave up; those guitars are really great but I'm looking for a Les Paul tone, and they can't do that, they are different.
Just my thought...

Correct, SC245s are not Les Pauls, the sound is more precise and cutting - it is not as broad and fat. A good Tokai will give you the infamous LP bark though.

Latest posts

Back