Anyone who can read this Japanese bit?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurS

Reaction score
pumkii.jpg

Can anyone read what the above picture says about the PAF Vintage Mk2? Does it specify what kind of magnet is used in it? Thanks!

ArthurS.. that post does not say which magnet it uses... But I can tell you that it uses aged Alnico 2... The MK2 is your SD SETH LOVER and your Gibbie 57 Classic equivalent.... part wise with one exception.. MK2 uses plastic spacer..

Thanks Gaijin! Funny that they're Alnico 2s; for some reason I always suspected they were 5s. What do you mean by the "plastic spacer" that the MK2 uses?

Just curious because I'm having mine rewound by Wolfetone pickups. I originally replaced the MK2s with a set of Tim White Timbuckers, which I then sold for financial reasons. After the Tims, the Gotohs just don't stack up anymore. So having them rewound seems like a great way to make them sound much better for very little cash (only $50 per pickup) :)

it's a piece of plastic that go in between your bobbin/adjustable pole pieces and the back plate... some use wood and some use metal... ArthurS, I don't think rewounding the wire alone would make much difference; tone wise...unless you change out the magnet and completely replace the coil wire to a different grade/type and number of wire turns...

Ah yes I know what you mean. I noticed StewMac sells a metal spacer for $1,35, though, and it can't be hard to make one out of wood myself in case it would be necessary ;) I can hardly believe the spacer makes a difference on the tone, though I'm no expert. Do you have any thoughts on this?

And, yes, the pickups will indeed be rewound to new specs. As I understand, the coil wire will be replaced and it will be wound the way I want. Magnet will probably stay the same, though they are easy (and cheap) enough to replace if necessary. I asked the guy if there would be noticeable difference between a rewound pickup and the new pickups he sells (which are over twice as expensive), but he said that a rewound Gotoh "should be nearly identical to one of my own", as long as the magnets and other parts are "of decent quality" and "and the
dimensions are similar to my own parts".

I know Seymour Duncan started out by simply rewinding people's old pickups to his new specifications, so I reckon there should be some sonic advantages to be gotten if a pickup is rewound (if it's done well, anyway) :)

the TONE of a pickup is purely base on 2 components the COIL WIRE and the MAGNET... other physical parts has no influence on the TONE of the pickup (only true when comparing rewound and the original)... So if you change out the COIL WIRE and WOUND to WOLFTONE's spec then definitely you will have a pickup with new a tone. And I would doubt that the new tone is that much different from the original..but definitely there is a noticebale different.. and beside, what you are doing is nothing more than just using the MK-II as parts for the new pickup...

The MK-II parts are pretty decent...

This is strictly my own opinion OK.. If you are going to do this.. then why not just buy a HUMBUCKER KIT from STEWMAC that is as close to WOFTONE's spec as possible and have him wound it onto the new bobbin with whatever spec you want or he wants.. then just use the magnet from the MK-II?.. this way, you can save your MK-II.. because the MK-II is what makes TOKAI, TOKAI... that's TOKAI's bread and butter PU... The HUMBUCKER KIT cost alot less than destroying the MK-II for parts... like I said, the parts that you are salvaging the MK-II for DOES NOT contribute to the tone.... ONLY the COIL WIRE, THE MAGNET, NUMBER OF WOUND on the bobbin, and HOW the bobbin was wound (hand or machine) will...

And maybe just a little modification is all you need...What type of music do you play and what sort of tone are are you looking for ?...may be I can give you some idea..

Thanks for the reply again, Gaijin, it's much appreciated! :)

I know the Mk2 is what makes Tokai, Tokai, but I just feel those pickups don't get the most out of the guitar. For a few months I had a pair of Tim White "Timbuckers" in the guitar. Even though these had similar very specifications to the Gotohs (both PAF-a-likes, similar output, similar dimensions), the difference in sound was enormous.

The Timbuckers sounded so much better that I couldn't believe the difference at first. The bridge pickup was much fatter, with better string definition and more harmonics; the neck was less 'woolly' than the Tokai; it had much better clarity while still retaining some warmth and excellent definition. I couldn't believe how great the guitar suddenly sounded; the best way to describe is that it just sounded twice as expensive all of a sudden. I'm not exaggerating.

I'm not expecting exactly the same tone of the Wolfetone-rewound Gotohs, but I was hoping to recapture some of that magic while not breaking my wallet again. I don't really want to sell the Gotohs, but I don't really like the way they sound either. So having them rewound by another 'boutique' winder seemed a good idea. The fact that I'd use the Mk2 for parts (which is indeed what I'm doing, I know it won't contribute to the tone), saves me over $140 for the pair (rewind is $50, new pickup is ~$120, plus import costs).

You do bring up an interesting point about getting a StewMac kit; maybe I should look into that. It would indeed salvage the Mk2's, which is an added bonus (but not really crucial, because I don't really like the way they sound, and I'm not really looking to sell them either).

I play very different types of music, but I lean toward (hard) rock. I'm looking for a tone that I described above: fat and warm bridge, which retains clarity and definition without sounding harsh (sounds impossible, but I've experienced that it can be done ;)). For the neck I'm looking for a good woody PAF-ish sound, don't really have words for that. Think Sweet Child O'Mine intro.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the Mk2's, I'm always interested. I've set them up various ways already, which made a difference, but didn't bring didn't even bring them close to the same league as the Timbuckers for instance.

ArthurS.. Have you ever try out the FERNANDES VH-1 that comes on BURNY LP ?... That pickup has a vintage woody sound you are looking for but I don't know if it is HOT enough for you... the VH-1 is not a HOT pickup and it uses Alnico 5 magnet.. I think the sound/tone you are looking for is a Alnico 5 derivative... So find a les paul with a set of Alnico 5 pickups and try them out... Each magnet has a very disctictive tone..

cheaper and better alternative would be.. buy a set/pair of Alnico 5 magnet and swap them out with the Alnico 2 which is inside of your MK-II... It's not difficult to do.. I know for sure the MK-II is overwounded (just don't know how overwounded) for the resistance to be mid 8K... And by careful inspection of the coil wire on the MK-II, it's machine wounded..

or if you want a la SD sh-55 Seth Lover which I did to my MK-IIs...then just open your MK-II up and remove the coil wire until you get a resistance of 7.2k in the neck and 8.1 in the bridge...

or get the specification of the Timbucker then make your PU to that spec...ask what kind of magnet does the Timbucker uses, and what is the resistance for the neck and the resistance for the bridge...

Back