'84 LS200 solid quilt

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Roger. I think that the difference is that collecting used women's underwear (for example) doesn't reduce the available supply or boost prices, as there is not such a limited supply of used women's underwear! :lol:

In fact it may help the environment by reducing the amount of underwear that gets washed :eek:

Mike

stratman323 said:
Thank you Roger. I think that the difference is that collecting used women's underwear (for example) doesn't reduce the available supply or boost prices, as there is not such a limited supply of used women's underwear! :lol:

In fact it may help the environment by reducing the amount of underwear that gets washed :eek:

Mike

That's it, Mike - keep justifying it to yourself!

(Massive winky smiley here!)

villager said:
well frankly i dont think anyone has the right to criticize a collector as opposed to a player, after all, all collectors are also players to some extent,,,you do what u want to do and leave others to do what they want to do...dont criticise , condemn, or complain..each to their own..thats what i think....
Agreed...I have a few guitars that I bought as either a "play at home" guitar or soley for a collection....usually because as a collectible they're great but as a working guitar they suck.

Regarding collectors... Well, everyboby can do what he want with his money so I don?t mind collectors,in fact all these rare(high end) Tokais would not be seen for many if western people did not buy them. Only thing I don?t like about collectors is pushing the prices up but it?s demand and supply rule so nothing I can do about it. I?m not a collector and I don?t buy guitars for collecting, just for my pride and joy of learning,I like to try guitars and I?m very loyal to Tokai as far as others have theirs preferences. Regarding keeping a guitar and then selling,this is a must if you like to try new models,one comes in one comes out....

stratman323 said:
Erm... :-?

Sorry, just kidding! (As an aside, in three trips to Japan we've never once found any vending machines containing used ladies' undies. Most disappointing!)

Veering dangerously back on topic, a vintage guitar kept by a collector may be a nice to look at, but surely those years of not being played will mean it hasn't mellowed in the right way?

I'd rather have a sixties guitar look like it's survived fifty years of play than something that looks brand new.

Yeah, that's what I was attempting to say. Age mellows a good guitar, but so does playing. I don't like mint guitars, I like guitars with character. Luckily, the ones with a bit of wear on them tend to sell for less money - because the collectors don't like them! :lol:

Hi Mike!

It might improve your mood to learn that I will sell a few of my beauties in the coming weeks.

1981 ST50 arctic white
1980 ST80 GS
1979 LS50 Les Paul Reborn, black
1980 LS50 Reborn old, black (100% mint, including all papers and OHSC)
2004 LS320 Cherry, mint
1979 LS80 VF
2006 ES130 Cherry
2006 LS125SEB blue flame

and perhaps even the '84 LS200 quilted. Altough, after 2nd thoughts: I'd probably play her. 8)

This will still keep my Tokai-count above 60 (sorry to say that....). :D

Cheers! Rupert

Hi Rupert,

My mood is fine thanks :p It looks like I might have helped to persuade you to play your new quilt-top, and that's got to be a good thing, hasn't it? I'm sure she deserves it.

Hmmm, a 1980 ST80? Sounds interesting - what does "GS" stand for?

Actually, I suppose I should be glad that some people have so many guitars, it makes my small collection of around a dozen seem both modest and reasonable (not that anyone else seems to agree with that....) :D

Mike

Hi Mike!

I can't remember what GS actually stands for, but she is a two-tone sunburst. Cheers. Rupert

IMG_0314-1.jpg

Now that IS nice! :p Despite that daft headstock plug - I thought that had gone by 1980? I wonder why they didn't use the period-correct 3 ply scratchplate?

Will you be selling these on eBay?

Mike

Yes, the headstock-plug is interesting. A few of my ST80s, ST50s have it, some don't. Also an ST80 81 has it. The 3-ply scratch-plate goes with the 62 clones, this is a 57 clone.
Cheers! Rupert

A 57 clone with a rosewood board? So it's a clone of a guitar that never existed? :eek: **** clever, these Japanese!

Will you selling these guitars on eBay, Rupert?

Mike

Well, there have been many discussions about this specific one on the forum when I bought her. Apparently she is original (for an ST80, not for a 57 :D ).

I am not sure yet if I'll put her on ebay. At the end of the day she is probably too beautiful. I'll sell a few plain-tops now, starting with an 81 ST50 in arctic wihte tonite. A few more will follow during the week. First have to take detailled pics of all.

Cheers. Rupert

OK, so you'll sell them on here? Do you have a price in mind for the Springys?

Mike

So if i can have it back at the same price,i will pay you asap.As you know ive done a good deal with a famous guitar player with another guitar,and the money is burning a hole in my pocket :lol:.So please be quick :wink:

Back