Old LS -100 specs?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bblooz

Reaction score
Looking at a possible axequsition (like a need another one LOL):
1979 Les Paul Reborn LS-100.
Seller claims it's a solid top, but I doubt it (quilted) and nitro finish. It has Dimarzios and nibs on the fret ends. I know really early ones have varying features, so I thought I'd see if some of the Tokai experts here would have a clue. If I get to look at the guitar, I can check inside the PU cavities to see if the top is veneer, but how can one differentiate if the finish is nitro or poly?

Looking at a possible axequsition (like a need another one LOL):
1979 Les Paul Reborn LS-100.
Seller claims it's a solid top, but I doubt it (quilted) and nitro finish. It has Dimarzios and nibs on the fret ends. I know really early ones have varying features, so I thought I'd see if some of the Tokai experts here would have a clue. If I get to look at the guitar, I can check inside the PU cavities to see if the top is veneer, but how can one differentiate if the finish is nitro or poly?

I've never known of 100s having anything other than a solid top

LS80 and over had a lacquer finish. So the FEB indicates it is an LS80 or higher.

currypowder has a 1979 LS80 Les Paul Reborn I believe with a flame veneer top and an 80 fretboard stamp.

So hard to say.

Here’s a related thread:

LS100 Gallery

Oh, and I guess it will have a fretboard stamp if it is a '79.

And a lot of people thought that all LS120 guitars were veneer. There are definitely solid examples out there.

LS120 Gallery

And if it is truly a quilt top that is very unusual for a Tokai as early as 1979.

Can you share pics?

Here is an insane 1981 LS200 solid quilt top that Cliff owns.

LS200 Gallery

fa8ec9fb8f866874bf38d9b91059b5f5.jpg

Back