What was Your Favorite MIJ Purchase of 2022?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Post your favorite MIJ purchase of 2022.
Whatever brand, style, etc. folks wanna hear about and see your favorite MIJ purchase of 2022.
OK; post 'em folks. I will get things started.

I purchased five MIJs this year and this one is easily my favorite; a copy of a '63 :confused: Korina Explorer.
Sounds weird and it is as Gibson had some left over 1958 Explorer carcasses that they put together and sold off in 1963.
These typically had nickel hardware instead of gold, inline fully connected white bean tuners, nylon saddle ABR type bridges, etc.
https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/the-1963-gibson-explorer-from-the-50s
The Explorer I purchased isn't quite up to snuff to be termed a replica because
(1) it has a 2 piece body instead of the 1 piece that vintage Explorers had
(2) the tuners are not fully connected like the vintage Explorer tuners
but otherwise this Explorer is a great copy of a '63 Korina Explorer.

Specs:
one off hand made custom build (purchased from Yahoo Japan auction)
2 piece white Limba/Korina body
1 piece white Limba/Korina neck
very dark Indian rosewood fingerboard
massive vintage correct neck tenon
1977 U1000 or U2000 pickups (these sound amazing IMHO)
no serial #, head stock face is painted black, no name or ID on the guitar
super thin nitro finish with no under coat
very light subtle relic treatment
weight is just under 8 lb.
.974" @ fret 1 neck thickness (you read that right)

I liked this Explorer so much that I sold my only other Explorer that I had owned for many years; that is saying something.
After owning about ~10 Explorers over many many years this '63 copy is easily my favorite of them all.
I have since purchased a second Explorer from the same custom builder; an Explorer Junior. o_O

EX delivery.jpg

EX body frt.jpg

EX  tuners.jpg

EX tenon 1.jpg

EX ct rt.jpg

Last edited:
"one off hand made custom build (purchased from Yahoo Japan auction)"

Good score. Congrats!

Same for the split head Futura type model?

"one off hand made custom build (purchased from Yahoo Japan auction)"

Good score. Congrats!

Same for the split head Futura type model?

Correct; both guitars are from the same seller/builder.
I purchased the Korina Exp in May this year and it arrived in May.
Purchased the Honduran Exp Jr. in November and it arrived a couple weeks ago in December.

The seller offers one off hand made custom builds that are based on Gibson designs, or as in the case of the Ex. Jr. a design that is a combination of different guitars.

He typically offers guitars with HUGE necks and his builds typically use Korina, Honduran, or Khaya lumbers or combinations of these lumbers. His builds also typically have a super thin nitro with no under coat, no serial #, and no identifying markings of any type; true custom builds. This builder is a true pro as a luthier, IMHO.

Here is a '56 type LP with a Korina top, Korina neck, 1 piece Khaya body back, and FEB aka nibs.
Wish I would have snagged this incredible guitar. :sick:
# 1 Lefty Korina top.jpg

Dangerous stuff...

You got me looking and I found a builder in Italy.

Not MIJ, but sheesh...

Sonicguitars V korina 59 aged replica 2020 Nat | Reverb

Sonicguitars Electric Guitars | Reverb

This one looks like koa.

Small world; funny thing is I traded a few emails with Paolo about 18 months ago discussing a Korina build. He does amazing work and at the asking price point for his builds they are a no brainer.
Having said that I have only spent that kinda scratch for a fiddle once in my life and that was about 15 years ago so, these price levels are not my forte' for instruments.
Paolo is certainly still on my radar for a Korina build but the timing (for me) will be down the road. The silver lining in that is he will gain even more expertise within his craft and I will end up with an even better guitar once I pull the trigger. He is no doubt the real deal when it comes to Korina builds; pretty much the equivalent of 'The Italian Job' (of Korina) and he is actually in Italy. LOL

Speaking of exotic woods, this one sort of qualifies, at least in relation to what it is. And I would say it has to be my fave 2022 purchase, despite some stiff competition.

It's an all-mahogany Oct 1979 Greco SE600. I've seen a handful more, so it's part of a small out-of-catalog batch, likely a store order run, and a couple of them have had a 600 sticker still in place. I've been hunting for one for years, so I was really happy to find it.

this one is in excellent condition and playable straight out of the shipping box, so I haven't done any forensics on it yet, but I'm coming round to it. According to the seller it's all-original except for replaced pots (which I may or may not replace with original Greco gear from my spares box), but the larger font on the control knobs says that they're replacements too. It also needs some work, it has the usual issue when guitars go from from the Japanese climate to the Swedish winter dryness: the neck contracts slightly, leaving the fret sticking out. I've become pretty good at fret-end dressing over the years...

More when I've had it stripped down and properly documented.

2022-11-23 13.11.40.jpg

2022-11-23 13.11.48.jpg

2022-11-23 13.11.56.jpg

Mine would be the maple lam ST70 Goldstar.

I got it from the Guitar Dude in Florida who always poses his guitars poolside like the Greco I linked above.

I have to say that he really packed it well. Straight up seller. Has some rare Tokais at times it seems.

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_4900.jpeg

IMG_4908.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4911.jpeg
    IMG_4911.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4916.jpeg
    IMG_4916.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 0
'strike while the iron is hot' next time (y)
You know...that is interesting that you say that. I was watching a Jeff Lynne documentary yesterday and heard that John Lennon gave Paul the advice of when you start writing a song, finish it... As in go all the way through while you have the inspiration, before it's gone. It was either in that or a Paul McCartney documentary. No matter where I heard it, it's wise advice from the both of you. Thanks.

Last edited:
My best purchase would be my natural ST 100. I haven’t seen these come up often and when they do it’s usually for a price beyond what I feel is reasonable. I feel lucky to have found this one. Came professionally refretted too, which honestly is something I am realising more and more is needed for me to enjoy these old instruments.
0F3126CB-1DDD-4B08-B878-E919A179631B.jpeg

My best purchase would be my natural ST 100. I haven’t seen these come up often and when they do it’s usually for a price beyond what I feel is reasonable. I feel lucky to have found this one. Came professionally refretted too, which honestly is something I am realising more and more is needed for me to enjoy these old instruments.
View attachment 6632

Wow. Nice guitar!

I love all the shapes of these guitars. You all have a great collection, even if it's only a collection of one or two.

Ha! Those guys are animals. guitar hiro and Voidoid56 buy and sell a lot of guitars.

I once did that, but am down to under 20 guitars and holding steady.

Sia has built an incredible collection of ST100 guitars and has done an amazing job of documenting their history on his web site.

All great collections for sure.

World class. :cool:

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I'm going to say it's a tossup between the Momose Korina Explorer or Zemaitis Custom Shop Aces & Eights Metal Top.

y4myBeKODpCluUkLx0suTB_BtPFeizqjupUqfHOaYfLuQo_tG4o_6cguzgIXQbwKSG1FdeQpo1IfJuwyc2IHLR-PfyYoVrBq6pWJ4W-pL83PpK60Z3Hz0S5cBQsrcA6fJ_DZxw8qM8BRDAPwhQbhi79ajWkKeZLlx701ccrSxY311u0e4MIxIIBR83AirehU1zC

y4mM-HvN-ak6qi_VEdCyF2HuRw6uOEOuzYzkHYTGJs0fJ7jONAhcB9Y_KGT08TvYCUUU54RDLvKm0jSqFEUGUAFIiKafw7iXDCv2n9LFK5DCRrb77zaQbH7oALSFaMbzOtkMJwkJbkJw2PxPsZYFNKXyyswjC9YhV5FPLnEI5nBi85luO0IMcLJEocQNSYYJMb_

Oh man…..

I was just mentioning in another thread that the ES120 has the abalone purfling like the TE120.

7137-2ec67a430b2707063252719e2b61abc2.png

Rare as hens teeth.

Just amazing….

Last edited:
Back