Very Expensive Vintage LS-200s ? on YJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is a Tokai LS Love Rock from 1981 with remnants of nibs at the fret ends; rose' 'board looks pretty sweet with some healthy nice looking wavy reds in there but the species is anyone's guess. I would call it rosewood, LOL

LS-1981.jpg

old thread, big debate, but it looks like there is no solid evidence from old era Tokai literature to backup any claim of Braz 'boards used on vintage LS examples

currently a Reverb listing for a 200 with a claimed "Braz board" :whistle:

Last edited:
here is a Tokai LS Love Rock from 1981 with remnants of nibs at the fret ends; rose' 'board looks pretty sweet with some healthy nice looking wavy reds in there but the species is anyone's guess. I would call it rosewood, LOL

View attachment 522
That is a nice looking piece of wood. Probably not the best cut for a fretboard. Straight grain is more stable. So I have heard. I would like to see the rest of that board.

That is a nice looking piece of wood. Probably not the best cut for a fretboard. Straight grain is more stable. So I have heard. I would like to see the rest of that board.

the majority of rosewood 'boards are quarter sawn.
I know of manufacturers that go out of their way to offer only quarter sawn rosewood 'boards but they also choose only 'board stock that has truly straight grain with very little to no variation in the grain.
Quarter sawing lumber can also help to offer the visual of a straighter grain even when the grain isn't that 'straight.'

I actually prefer 'boards that have irregular grain visuals but that's just my own tastes.

As long as the lumber used is properly dried and properly glued I don't see any issue with using 'boards with irregular grain features.

this piece is pretty sweet looking
notice how the grain curves about 30 to 35 degrees near the bass side of the upper register
000_8056.JPG

here is a flat sawn example that looks quite awesome and it is very 'oily' feeling under the fingers
Braz 7-22.jpg

Braz 1-7.jpg

this is cataloged as Jacaranda but who knows what that really is; LOL
MLS fgb1.jpg

MLS fgb3.jpg

Wow! That flat sawn board is stunning.

I always wonder about how it is to work with when I see flame or bird's eye. I would assume it can be tough to plane or to get even with the changes in wood density?

Beautiful.

Last edited:
Back