Twin Vintage Tokai Rare Brown Case and Blondes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sanded necks on guitars that are worth more than this one. I have a 2019 59 CS Strat 3TS I bought new, open box, NOS. I wanted a relic one but they are too expensive. So I reliced it myself, and have no qualms about doing it. They are worth more that way. And it is a joy to play with the smooth neck. I bought a heavy relic 2019 CS Nocaster that came with the neck sanded. And it is nicked dinged and worn. I got a great deal on that one and it is worth over 4k now. I sanded the neck on my 81' LS-60 and have no regrets. And I sanded the neck last night on My LS-80. Again, no regrets because it is so much better. Just like any vintage guitar that get played for decades, the finish on the neck wears off over time. Yes, it is better when happens naturally, but I'm too old to wait for that to happen. With this ES, I feel like it will only continue to become a serious collector and be worth a lot of money someday. It is a beauty. No matter how much I want to, that thing is not getting sanded. I have a lot of guitars and I play them all. So none of them will ever get played hard enough to naturally wear the necks in. But if you look at some real vintage ES335's, the worn necks don't hurt the value. The best players in the world love them like that. And a lot of them have heavily worn necks, dings, arm wear, pick scratches, checking etc. And it gives them character and makes them one of a kind. And to me that stuff is ultra cool. Because once you paly a well worn in guitar, a new feeling guitar does not feel good. But again, to me this ES is very special and I will preserve it. I am very careful with it but I am going to play it. A guitar that doesn't get played is a sad guitar. That wood wants to vibrate. It makes them sound better as they age. So they say. But it makes sense to me. So relax guys. I will be a good curator of this special piece of Tokai History. One of these days I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff and buy an LS-150 or 200 and preserve it too.
Your idea was exactly as I had thought. You have promised to keep this ES150 in good care. Thank you.

I have sanded necks on guitars that are worth more than this one. I have a 2019 59 CS Strat 3TS I bought new, open box, NOS. I wanted a relic one but they are too expensive. So I reliced it myself, and have no qualms about doing it. They are worth more that way. And it is a joy to play with the smooth neck. I bought a heavy relic 2019 CS Nocaster that came with the neck sanded. And it is nicked dinged and worn. I got a great deal on that one and it is worth over 4k now. I sanded the neck on my 81' LS-60 and have no regrets. And I sanded the neck last night on My LS-80. Again, no regrets because it is so much better. Just like any vintage guitar that get played for decades, the finish on the neck wears off over time. Yes, it is better when happens naturally, but I'm too old to wait for that to happen. With this ES, I feel like it will only continue to become a serious collector and be worth a lot of money someday. It is a beauty. No matter how much I want to, that thing is not getting sanded. I have a lot of guitars and I play them all. So none of them will ever get played hard enough to naturally wear the necks in. But if you look at some real vintage ES335's, the worn necks don't hurt the value. The best players in the world love them like that. And a lot of them have heavily worn necks, dings, arm wear, pick scratches, checking etc. And it gives them character and makes them one of a kind. And to me that stuff is ultra cool. Because once you paly a well worn in guitar, a new feeling guitar does not feel good. But again, to me this ES is very special and I will preserve it. I am very careful with it but I am going to play it. A guitar that doesn't get played is a sad guitar. That wood wants to vibrate. It makes them sound better as they age. So they say. But it makes sense to me. So relax guys. I will be a good curator of this special piece of Tokai History. One of these days I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff and buy an LS-150 or 200 and preserve it too.
Cool. And that is why I said it. I knew you had sanded necks before.

And when you are looking for an LS200 you know Cliff already. He has had more of them than anyone I know of except maybe Villager? It would be close.

Cool. And that is why I said it. I knew you had sanded necks before.

And when you are looking for an LS200 you know Cliff already. He has had more of them than anyone I know of except maybe Villager? It would be close.
Oh, there was such a background situation.
Sigmania, I understand your concern.

You gentlemen have obviously never played a sanded neck. You don't know what you are missing. And rolling over the fretboard edge a little feels a lot better too. You would be surprised how many people would not be distracted by it and actually pay more for one that is relic or has been naturally worn in. The way I see, there are also a lot of people that prefer the lacquer on the neck and the guitar to be as clean as possible. I don't want to lose those potential buyers when I pass it on someday. The other guys can easily sand it. You can't put the lacquer back and make it original again. Let me put it to you like this. If the neck was sanded properly, I would have still purchased it.

You gentlemen have obviously never played a sanded neck. You don't know what you are missing. And rolling over the fretboard edge a little feels a lot better too. You would be surprised how many people would not be distracted by it and actually pay more for one that is relic or has been naturally worn in. The way I see, there are also a lot of people that prefer the lacquer on the neck and the guitar to be as clean as possible. I don't want to lose those potential buyers when I pass it on someday. The other guys can easily sand it. You can't put the lacquer back and make it original again. Let me put it to you like this. If the neck was sanded properly, I would have still purchased it.
I think you're right. It is normal for everyone to think differently, and everything depends on their values.

Back