Question for Rinkya users

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mojo hobo said:
Stratman323,
The only problem with becoming a member and opening your own account.....is you never stop GASSING ,all those lovely, lovely,TOKAIS,ORVILLES,GRECOS,
Your become MIJ ZOMBIE, an addict,never resting ,irritable,bad tempered,night sweats over guitars you have seen for auction,you will have NO PEACE ,become withdrawn.your start to make excuses for sneaking off for a quick MIJ fix on the pc.checking ,searching......

You think I need Rinkya for that? :eek:

3pupLPC said:
any concerns / issues with them having your CC?

I've been on it 6 months and had no issues, but I am always concerned when entities have my credit card details, but it's a necessary evil these days. :-?

They will take money out of your CC automatically - you pay when you win the auction, and this includes their transaction fee plus handling, or nothing else happens. Of course that means the shipping and some of the handling fees are unknown at this time. Then you get a shipping invoice, which naturally you pay as fast as you can. A few days after I had received the guitar I got another invoice for about US $9 called:

"Shipping within Japan and/or tax and/or packing fees in excess"

This time it said if you are making another purchase in the next 10 days the fee can be paid as part of that transaction, or the amount will be debited from your CC. So I went along in a fantasy world where I was buying another guitar, and then the amount was taken out of my CC. But this is pretty normal for online buying, they warn you, then they take the money some time later.

To be honest, their invoices for shipping and other stuff aren't all that clear, and something else I just thought of is that they will put your item into one of their own boxes and charge you for that as well. The Rinkya boxes are good quality and quite thick, but if the seller has done a great job of packing then it is a waste of your money to pay for re-packing, but you don't have a choice. This could have been what my extra fee was for.

They also charge a 25% "handling" fee on top of the shipping rate from Japan to you, which I think is excessive! 5% OK but 25% (average LP guitar w/o case is 10,500-12,500 Yen plus 25%...yowza!)? Some other sites are cheaper, sure you have to pre-deposit the money 1st but at least it allows you to budget your funds and not have things held up via awaiting payment etc. Just my opinion.

Udonitron said:
They also charge a 25% "handling" fee on top of the shipping rate from Japan to you, which I think is excessive! 5% OK but 25% (average LP guitar w/o case is 10,500-12,500 Yen plus 25%...yowza!)? Some other sites are cheaper, sure you have to pre-deposit the money 1st but at least it allows you to budget your funds and not have things held up via awaiting payment etc. Just my opinion.

The shipping for my guitar was 15,750 yen which was $180 US at the time, and I was invoiced for $207 US on the shipping which included all my remaining charges except for another $9 US that came later.

So, I paid an extra $36 on top of my shipping; this was handling, shipping from the seller and packing (including a box). This is about 16.5% of my shipping total, so I'm not sure about the 25% figure you got?

If I then include all the fees ($91), as a percentage of the total ($941), it comes to about 9.7% overall, so it's not really that bad. There's also the possibility that some Yahoo Japan sales require the buyer to pay the Yahoo fees. However the fact remains, if you're buying to re-sell for a profit, you will probably lose out unless you get some lucky deals - them's the brakes.

Thanks again to any & all that volunteered their experiences with Rinkya; lots of good info in this thread :D

I went ahead & rolled the dice on my first Rinkya/Yahoo Japan purchase :)

It was originally listed for 42000 yen/didn't sell, then relisted for 38000/didn't sell, then relisted for 30000 yen so, I bought it.

Here's the $$$ break down:

Commission: $45.00
Handling fee: $15 (YJ to Rinkya)

$60 of fees for = 17.4% fees :-?

We shall see what the total comes to with shipping included.
Hopefully it will slide thru' US Customs without a duty charge, if I'm really lucky :p

There's been a price hike on the Rinkya system fee ($40 up to $45) since my purchase, which was only a few months ago.

Unfortunately 30k yen is not very much money but the fees are the same as if you had spent 70k or more, so for me there's definitely a point where it's not worth it for lower priced items unless you're getting an expensive item really cheap (which happens occasionally).

Anyway, what did ya get? :)

MIJvintage said:
JVsearch said:
Anyway, what did ya get? :)

What else, a Bacchus :) ........................ Vintage Series Jazz Bass ................ original MSRP was 98,000 I believe so it's the same level of quality as a Bacchus Vintage Series Strat :D ...........

Jeezum crow, that's a good price! $340 for Vintage Series JB, although I guess it will end up about $540 landed, which is still bloody good!

The JB is the best, but for myself I'm looking for a shorter scale - 30 or 32 inch max, as I'm no bass player, but I'd like to have a little bass around for working stuff out.

JVsearch said:
Jeezum crow, that's a good price! $340 for Vintage Series JB, although I guess it will end up about $540 landed, which is still bloody good!

The JB is the best, but for myself I'm looking for a shorter scale - 30 or 32 inch max, as I'm no bass player, but I'd like to have a little bass around for working stuff out.

even if US Customs hits me with a typical 8.7% duty ($40) it should still total under 6 bills US 8)

That's not a bad deal for a custom shop level quality instrument; two piece alder body, nitro top coat, custom color, flame maple neck :D

I'm looking forward to it arriving :D .................

I love Rinkya. Very fair fees, excellent customer service, and quick, well packed shipments IMHO.

Just my two cents. :D

Does Rinkya notify the buyer by email that an item has arrived at the Rinkya warehouse, or does a buyer have to keep track of the items' location via their own Rinkya online account?

They will send you an email when it arrives at their warehouse.

just noticed that (some) Yahoo Japan listings add on time within the last few minutes of the listing :lol:

I bet that makes some bidders furious :-? :evil: :lol: .............

MIJvintage said:
just noticed that (some) Yahoo Japan listings add on time within the last few minutes of the listing :lol:

Yep, I knew that piece of quite important info about bidding, and I forgot to mention it! :oops:

Glad yours went through without any sniping, I'd have felt partly responsible if you'd lost it at 30,500 because you didn't expect to have to bid again with 10 seconds to go, and weren't ready with another bidding window set to go.

JVsearch said:
MIJvintage said:

Yep, I knew that piece of quite important info about bidding, and I forgot to mention it! :oops:

Glad yours went through without any sniping, I'd have felt partly responsible if you'd lost it at 30,500 because you didn't expect to have to bid again with 10 seconds to go, and weren't ready with another bidding window set to go.

point well taken & good to know but luckily the Bacchus was a 'Price Ends' only listing :D so, it was a cake walk ...........

I currently have two items purchased from Yahoo Japan via Rinkya that I have paid for.

Both items are showing Status/Location as YJ paidhold/paidhold.

I was told by a Rinkya rep that items would be marked either, JPSELLER for items that have not yet arrived at the Rinkya warehouse, or marked JPRINKYA for items that are in the Rinkya warehouse.

Curious that both items are showing as 'paid/hold' but neither item is showing as 'JPSELLER'.

How soon after payment has been sent should an item be showing as 'JPRINKYA'?

Latest posts

Back