Question for Rinkya users

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIJvintage said:
I currently have two items purchased from Yahoo Japan via Rinkya that I have paid for.

Both items are showing Status/Location as YJ paidhold/paidhold.

I was told by a Rinkya rep that items would be marked either, JPSELLER for items that have not yet arrived at the Rinkya warehouse, or marked JPRINKYA for items that are in the Rinkya warehouse.

Curious that both items are showing as 'paid/hold' but neither item is showing as 'JPSELLER'.

How soon after payment has been sent should an item be showing as 'JPRINKYA'?

Mine was hanging on YJ paidhold for about 3 to 4 days, but when JPSELLER came up, it very quickly went to JPRINKYA after that, possibly only a day later.

I'm guessing they've paid the seller, and it's an overnight or two day bank transaction or something, then the seller will see they've got the money, and try to send to Rinkya as soon as they can. There might be some sort of confirmation that the seller does to inform Rinkya that it is on its way or that the seller has accepted the payment. Once that is received the status becomes JPSELLER, and the following day or later the same day it may change to JPRINKYA depending on how quick the delivery is.

I feel that the process for me was pretty quick (4 to 5 days), but you could get a seller who is unable to ship until the weekend or just can't be arsed for a few days, and that may delay things. Nothing to worry about though!

thanks for that :)

I'm just used to the one to one transactions dealing directly with shops, or with buyers.
It's quick & to the point 8)

this (Rinkya) middle man stuff is new, slow, & annoying :p ......................

Does Rinkya allow buyers to select the shipping method when requesting shipping or do they ship with the service that is selected as default? I just wondering if I should think about what to set as default.

EDIT. Ahh, just looked at the shipping request form, there is a field for selecting the method.

Glad to have found this thread. I have been using Rinkya for around 4 years now and have acquired some fantastic Greco Mint Collection models.. mainly LP's, SG's, Explorers and such. I've probably done over a dozen Rinkya transactions. Never had a problem until yesterday. Purchased a minty clean '88 "61 SG" replica. YJ auction even had very detailed photos. Transaction went smoothly, shipping via EMS is what I always go with. It ain't cheap but it is fast. Rinkya seem to re-pack all guitars as their methods are always very careful. loosened strings, and the carton and tape is always uniformly the same. So I unbox my '88 Greco cherry red SG and start looking it over. It appears to be in virtually flawless shape until I notice the paint separation along the neck/body joint and a structural crack nearby. This guitar cannot be tuned to pitch as the crack opens up. Not good and I am stumped as to what to do. I suspect this guitar was dropped during repacking causing the damage. No idea if EMS shipping includes insurance for full value or not. This is not intended to be a horror story. I am really sharing this to see if any of you know what my next step should be. I have contacted my CC co. as well as Paypal as of last night. I am not sure if a refund or insurance claim on the damaged item is even possible. This is uncharted territory for me. I've bought MANY Greco LP's that were shipped in the padded gigbags with NO damage whatsoever. There was no damage to the shipping carton either. Guitar was packed perfectly. Again I suspect mishandling during the re-pack process prior to shipment out of Japan.

fiftywatt said:
Glad to have found this thread. I have been using Rinkya for around 4 years now and have acquired some fantastic Greco Mint Collection models.. mainly LP's, SG's, Explorers and such. I've probably done over a dozen Rinkya transactions. Never had a problem until yesterday. Purchased a minty clean '88 "61 SG" replica. YJ auction even had very detailed photos. Transaction went smoothly, shipping via EMS is what I always go with. It ain't cheap but it is fast. Rinkya seem to re-pack all guitars as their methods are always very careful. loosened strings, and the carton and tape is always uniformly the same. So I unbox my '88 Greco cherry red SG and start looking it over. It appears to be in virtually flawless shape until I notice the paint separation along the neck/body joint and a structural crack nearby. This guitar cannot be tuned to pitch as the crack opens up. Not good and I am stumped as to what to do. I suspect this guitar was dropped during repacking causing the damage. No idea if EMS shipping includes insurance for full value or not. This is not intended to be a horror story. I am really sharing this to see if any of you know what my next step should be. I have contacted my CC co. as well as Paypal as of last night. I am not sure if a refund or insurance claim on the damaged item is even possible. This is uncharted territory for me. I've bought MANY Greco LP's that were shipped in the padded gigbags with NO damage whatsoever. There was no damage to the shipping carton either. Guitar was packed perfectly. Again I suspect mishandling during the re-pack process prior to shipment out of Japan.

Brian, sorry to hear that; that really sucks eggs ............

Here is what the Rinkya web site has to say about claims for shipping damage.
http://www.rinkya.com/insurance.php

Hopefully it will be resolved quickly for you, and fully indemnify you.

Well, here?s a quick run down on the (non purchase price) costs of my first two RinkYa purchases.
Figures are rounded to the nearest dollar amount.

Telecaster:
Fees: $40
Japan domestic shipping: $10
EMS from Japan to USA: $155

Jazz bass:
Fees: $45
Japan domestic shipping: $16
EMS from Japan to USA: $186

Both items are waiting at my local Post Office for me to pick up tomorrow :D

Both items were shipped on the same flight to the US but oddly, only one item was assessed a Customs duty, of $51; the other item went thru? Customs without being assessed a duty :)

Interesting - I've bought 16 guitars from Rinkya this year and have never paid a duty. **knocks on wood**

Congrats Rich - be sure to post some pics!

guitars that I import from Japan come into the US via Chicago O'Hare US Customs; IMO Chicago is STILL corrupt as Hell, and the Customs house there I'm quite confident is not immune ...............

your guitars come thru' a different point of entry & likely a lot less BS goin' on there :wink: ....................

Ahh, that explains it. Mine come through New York, so no chance of corruption there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And here is why my friends who got smashed guitars never were reimbursed:

WE DO NOT HELP YOU MAKE CLAIMS FOR:

Items that are marked JUNK, AS-IS, or NO CLAIM in your auctions.

Electronics that do not work for any other reason aside from shipping mishandling.

Items claimed after 7 days of arrival. You must make your claim immediately, in a timely fashion.
4) Fraudulent claims.

this is just decoration to make them look "serious" because more or less all seller apart from shops sell their items as "as is" or "no claim no return". It sure makes it hard to get the money back.

Edit: isn't it really hard to know if they still have the shipping damage in mind when they write about items that has been sold as junk, as is or no claim no return?
My guess is that since they must prove that it was the Post office that damaged the shipped item it can't be an item from a seller who sold it as junk, as-is or no claim no return.

I know that it is a pain in the butt to get insurance money from the Swedish PO. They have a clausal that says the parcel must be packed good enough to resist the impact of a falling object that wheighs 50kg from the height of 1.5m.

Interesting - I've bought 16 guitars from Rinkya this year and have never paid a duty. **knocks on wood**

RyanC said:

In Sweden its compulsory to pay:
6% (depends on the goods but guitars are 6%) import tax
Then 25% VAT on top of that.

And they include the shipping cost in their calculation.

On the other hand, we don't have to pay for healtcare or education :D

MIJvintage said:
Brian, sorry to hear that; that really sucks eggs ............

Here is what the Rinkya web site has to say about claims for shipping damage.
http://www.rinkya.com/insurance.php

Hopefully it will be resolved quickly for you, and fully indemnify you.

Rich..

Thanks so much for that info.. had not seen it on the Rinkya site. I am a bit torn as to what to do at the moment. My luthier says that gluing and clamping the crack will make it good as new and perfectly stable to boot, all for well under $100. I could almost go that route instead of the agony of a claim that Rinkya may or may not pay out. Cannot tell if they refund just the purchase price or shipping costs as well. Thoughts?
btw, here is the closed auction for said guitar-

http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f80466562

MIJvintage said:
guitars that I import from Japan come into the US via Chicago O'Hare US Customs; IMO Chicago is STILL corrupt as Hell, and the Customs house there I'm quite confident is not immune ...............

your guitars come thru' a different point of entry & likely a lot less BS goin' on there :wink: ....................

How can a Customs office doing their job properly & charging you the duty laid down by your own government constitute "corruption"? Isn't it more likely that a US Customs office which fails to charge the duty legally due is the corrupt one?

We've heard these whinges before from some US members, & I really don't get it! You're very lucky if you manage to evade paying legally due taxes - don't complain if you sometimes have to pay them. :roll:

And as for healthcare.....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

MIJvintage said:
Well, here’s a quick run down on the (non purchase price) costs of my first two RinkYa purchases.
Figures are rounded to the nearest dollar amount.

Telecaster:
Fees: $40
Japan domestic shipping: $10
EMS from Japan to USA: $155

Jazz bass:
Fees: $45
Japan domestic shipping: $16
EMS from Japan to USA: $186

Both items are waiting at my local Post Office for me to pick up tomorrow :D

Both items were shipped on the same flight to the US but oddly, only one item was assessed a Customs duty, of $51; the other item went thru’ Customs without being assessed a duty :)

Rich,
How much (roughly) was the purchase price of the items that you bought? Just wanting to work out the fees paid compared to purchase price.
Cheers,
Sam

Latest posts

Back