lets see everyones LS150s

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JVsearch said:
LS-160 = Gibson R8, LS-260 = Gibson R9

Have you ever played a Historic? They're actually good guitars. I should also add that there's someone on this very board who owns a high end Tokai from a few years back, and he says it isn't that great.
He rates a guitar from another maker, that cost less than half what the Tokai cost, as better.

Any guitar made by anybody can sound dead - they're made of trees! :lol:

Thanks for the correction. No i haven't, i'm going by general public opinion. There's no way i'd be able to try one in Portugal. I've only seen LP customs, standards and studios i think.

I've heard that Gibson might be bought by Peavey. If they do i think we might see Gibson become much better in the near future.

SkyNet3D said:
I've heard that Gibson might be bought by Peavey. If they do i think we might see Gibson become much better in the near future.

What makes you think that? Have Peavey ever made a guitar that was something special?

stratman323 said:
SkyNet3D said:

What makes you think that? Have Peavey ever made a guitar that was something special?

Does Fender make Jackson guitars? One company buying another doesn't mean it will take over production, but it will probably mean better management and better quality control.

SkyNet3D said:
JVsearch said:
LS-160 = Gibson R8, LS-260 = Gibson R9

Have you ever played a Historic? They're actually good guitars. I should also add that there's someone on this very board who owns a high end Tokai from a few years back, and he says it isn't that great.
He rates a guitar from another maker, that cost less than half what the Tokai cost, as better.

Any guitar made by anybody can sound dead - they're made of trees! :lol:

Thanks for the correction. No i haven't, i'm going by general public opinion. There's no way i'd be able to try one in Portugal. I've only seen LP customs, standards and studios i think.

I'm just matching specs - the R9 has a solid flame top and the R8 has a solid plain top, so they correspond quite nicely with the LS-260/160 (no surprise there!).

Gibson Burstbuckers or Classic 57s (from earlier Historic production, might still be on the R7 can't remember) may be better pickups than the Tokai PAF Mk 2s, but I don't know. The Gibby Classic 57s were actually very highly rated in a recent magazine survey which included several boutique PAF clones.

Gibson MAY be in trouble financially, nobody knows for sure, but there are many rumours. Somebody has to do something to try and steer the company away from Robots, Dusk Tigers, Jimi Hendrix Strats etc! At this point it seems like almost any management but the current one might be preferred by the staff!

However, there's no doubt that Gibson will continue - you can't create the LP and the 335 and not survive re-structuring!

SkyNet3D said:
JVsearch said:
However, there's no doubt that Gibson will continue - you can't create the LP and the 335 and not survive re-structuring!

And it's not like it's the first time it happened.

No, quite right, but this time it could be a bit different - more debt.

I think we're veering off track here fellas,but maybe there's only so much that can be said for the LS150, ( I was kind of hoping it would be more like the R9 but hey ho1 as long as the neck is not too chunky!
Back to the little pimle at the headstock or whatever you guys were calling it , I guess I can presume that my custom order will have it as it's heading to the UK?

Tompski said:
I think we're veering off track here fellas,but maybe there's only so much that can be said for the LS150, ( I was kind of hoping it would be more like the R9 but hey ho1 as long as the neck is not too chunky!
Back to the little pimle at the headstock or whatever you guys were calling it , I guess I can presume that my custom order will have it as it's heading to the UK?
I don't think it matters where the guitar is being shipped to but where and maybe whom you purchased it from that may dictate the headstock design. I live in the USA and purchased my LS150 from a dealer in Japan and my headstock doesn't have the dimple. But if you made your order with a dealer in the UK it will most likely have the dimple. In any case I'm sure you'll love the guitar as they are every bit as good as those who have say they are, and then some as Bruce would say. Oh and the necks are not overly chunky and IMO are closer to the R9 than the R8. The only thing I see resembles the R8 is the plain top, and I don't care for the in-your-face flame tops anyway.

Easy Crossing said:
Tompski said:
I don't think it matters where the guitar is being shipped to but where and maybe whom you purchased it from that may dictate the headstock design. I live in the USA and purchased my LS150 from a dealer in Japan and my headstock doesn't have the dimple. But if you made your order with a dealer in the UK it will most likely have the dimple. In any case I'm sure you'll love the guitar as they are every bit as good as those who have say they are, and then some as Bruce would say. Oh and the necks are not overly chunky and IMO are closer to the R9 than the R8. The only thing I see resembles the R8 is the plain top, and I don't care for the in-your-face flame tops anyway.

oops forgot to add my bit.
but was gonna say thats why I had to custom order mine as a lot of the uk ones were all fancy flame and quilt tops!

Easy Crossing said:
...Oh and the necks are not overly chunky and IMO are closer to the R9 than the R8. The only thing I see resembles the R8 is the plain top...

Exactly right! Tokai has their version of a 59 neck profile which is used on many of their models including the LS-150.

1985 LS150

loverock8-5-1.jpg

ab0b_3.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Latest posts

Back