Is this a genuine MIJ Tokai PRS copy?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepe

Reaction score
I have just bought this Tokai PRS from eBay. The seller said it was MIJ. Does anyone have any infomation about this guitar; model, year, etc?

[img [/img
20140211_192436_zps523ca7d4.jpg
[/URL]/img

[/img] img][/img

From the serial number it looks like a 2004 model. I'm not too familiar with these models of Tokai though, but it looks genuine.

Well, "maybe" Chinese from 2004, but definitely not what they look like currently.
Tokai do not use that bridge or headstock shape on the current versions.

Current models.
LG50Q - China - Wilkinson VS50K bridge
LG118 - Flametop - Japan - Wilkinson VS100N
LG124 - Quilt top - Japan - Wilkinson VS100N

Do the Korean or Chinese models use the same serial number stamping/impression ?? I thought it was MIJ due to the 7 digit serial stamping that's exactly like the MIJ Tokai's i have.

Thanks for the replies!

I've been digging a little deeper. I think it is a Tokai LR40. They came out in 2001, but with a different headstock to this one. Tokai had to change it due to copyright laws and potential litigation from PRS.

I have also found that, if you hold it up to the light, you can just, barely see on the scart joint of the headstock, made in Japan

If you look near the bottom of this picture It can just about be made out:

So, it may be legit after all, and I guess we've learned a little bit more about MIJ PRS Tokais. :D

If anyone has anymore thoughts on this guitar, I'd be pleased to hear them.

Hey, how do you like it ?? Another question, do you have any pictures of the electronics or the back of the pickups and inside the pup cavities ?? That would help. I do see the Made In Japan, just barely visible in your picture, i would think if someone was going to fake that they'd make it more noticeable. :roll:

ampmaker said:
40000 yen for a set-neck guitar (relatively labour-intensive) that's made in Japan in 2004 seems suspicously low to me.
They were 40k in 2001, maybe 45k or something in 2004, and it has a scarf joint in the neck according to the OP so not a one piece neck, which saves a bit.

It seems possible?

Now that I look again I can see the typical MIJ salmon pink pickup rings, but I can't tell if the hardware is nickel or chrome.

Paladin2019 said:
Now that I look again I can see the typical MIJ salmon pink pickup rings, but I can't tell if the hardware is nickel or chrome.

I'm not too sure what the hardware is, but I'd say chrome, due to the brilliant shine. I would prefer nickel, but that's no big deal really.

brokentoes said:
Hey, how do you like it ?? Another question, do you have any pictures of the electronics or the back of the pickups and inside the pup cavities ?? That would help. I do see the Made In Japan, just barely visible in your picture, i would think if someone was going to fake that they'd make it more noticeable. :roll:

It plays well. It has a nice wide neck, the action is low, but not too low. I could probably get it down a bit more. Looking at the bottom horn, the maple sweeps round, like a proper slab should and doesn't look like the kind of thin veneer you get on cheap copies. I also have a MIK Tokai and there ain't no maple in that bottom horn scoop.

The body seem hefty, like it is made out of something substantial like mahogany, as opposed to the lightweight laminated crap that you tend to get on cheap MIC knock-offs. The pickups are nice. I think they are some sort of PAF. Nice and clear, through my small valve amp and crunchy/growly with plenty of gain. No muddiness at all. They probably just lack a bit of output for me. I may put some Bare Knuckle Black Dogs on it.

Max The Dog said:
Here are some pis of my old PR80Q

That does look a lot like my guitar. I'll post some pics of my PUP cavities the next time I change my strings. I have taken a look at the pots, and they do look very much like yours.

Here:

Incidentally - I have had word, from the seller, that he has been on to Tokai UK and a guy there is willing to verify the guitar as one of theirs, which had been bought by him. He said that it has never left the shop since he bought it. It is certainly in great nick. Not a mark or dint on it.

Just in case anyone is interested - Here's my MIK Tokai:

I replaced the pickups with a Seymour Duncan SH-1n 59 at the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH-15 Alternative 8 high output pickup in at the bridge.

Sorry about the quality of the picture.

Pepe said:
Paladin2019 said:

I'm not too sure what the hardware is, but I'd say chrome, due to the brilliant shine. I would prefer nickel, but that's no big deal really.

Easiest way to tell is just to compare the colour with something you know is chrome or nickel, put them next to each other and chrome looks a bit blue and nickel looks a bit yellow.

www.tokaiguitars.com 2003 web site

New Models

"TOKAI" has been the hallmark of quality guitars since 1947.

We intorduced the LR30 and the LR40 at NAMM Anaheim 2003.

vtUUjI8.jpg

LR30 TS(Tobacco Sunburst)

Body: Carved 5A Flamed Hardrock Maple
(Book Matched) Top
and Two Piece Mahogany Back
Neck:One piece Mahogany Set-Neck
Fingerboard:Rosewood
Body Binding:Natural Wood Binding
Bridge:VS100G Wilkinson Tremolo by Gotoh, Japan
(Chrome)
Machineheads:SG38-01 Gotoh, Japan (Chrome)
Pickups:Alnico Custom-Made Paf-Vintage Gotoh, Japan
Controls:Recessed in Body, 2 Volume, 2 Tone,
3 way switch
Colour::TS(Tabacco Sunburst), VF(Vintage Violin),
CS(Cherry Sunburst) - Others upon Request
Place of Origin:Hamamatsu, Japan
Price:List $2,300.00

5ZY08rJ.jpg

LR40 SBL(See-Thru Blue)

Body: Carved 5A Quilted Maple(Book Matched) Top
and Two Piece Mahogany Back
Neck: One Piece Mahogany Set-Neck
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Body Binding: Natural Wood Binding
Bridge: GTB200 Wilkinson by Gotoh, Japan(Chrome)
Machineheads: SG38-01 Gotoh, Japan(Chrome)
Pickups: Alnico Custom-Made Paf-Vintage Gotoh, Japan
Controls: Recessed in Body, 2 Volume, 2 Tone
3 way Switch
Colour: SBL(See-Thru Blue)-Others upon Request
Place of Origin: Hamamatsu, Japan
Price: List $2,500.00

AwdE49m.jpg

6ei26kO.jpg

We introduced our new models, LR30 and LR40 at NAMM Anaheim 2003.

QIdgYJZ.jpg

G3OsQvA.jpg

Latest posts

Back