Import taxes from Japan...what do they run?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
government == government
mike == mike
rupert's djihad == rupert's djihad

tokai == tokai

:D

MIJvintage said:
MIJvintage said:
Diamond said:
There should be no import duty into the States.

I'm not sure if it's the country of origin, or what the merch is, but i've NEVER paid any sort of customs duty in the US. Plenty of guitars, lots of studio/recording stuff.....not a single dime in duty

when i send stuff internationally, a lot of folks want it labeled as a gift or undervalued for customs(and they assume the risk of equally lowered insurance value)

Don't know if i'm lucky or not, just no i've never paid a duty

The US government seems remarkably lax about charging duty, unlike almost every other country. Just be grateful, guys!

stratman323 said:
The US government seems remarkably lax about charging duty, unlike almost every other country. Just be grateful, guys!

That has been my experience with sending guitars to the US from Japan. BUT a recent customer told me he was charged about 10% customs fee (about $150) so I don't what is going on. Sounds "ayashi" to me.

MIJvintage said:
MIJvintage said:
Diamond said:
There should be no import duty into the States.

I whole heartedly agree but that does not change the fact the the law requires Customs duties.

It also does not change the fact that when imports are coming through certain POE, that Customs duties are being assessed, and that they are even being inflated by Customs officials.

I recently sent a protest to US Customs for a duty that I was assessed, in which the Customs people charged me duty based on a 70% increase in the actual value of the item.

If I do not recieve a positive response from Customs, I will be writing to several members of the the US Senate, & the US House, in more than one state.

Received a reply from US Customs today; they are asking for an invoice & proof of payment.

I am forwarding the PayPal invoice & the PayPal 'Transaction Details' (proof of payment) that show the actual cost of the item.

We shall see where this goes........................

Receieved a check today from the US Treasury for, "Refund On Duties On Mail Entry" for $30.96 so, IT DOES PAY to protest US Custom's duties, if they are charging too much.

I had to submit the invoice & the proof of payment, and it took the a**holes forever BUT I got my money that those A-holes tried to stick me for :lol:

Screw Uncle Sam.......................

Latest posts

Back