Identifying a Greco LP copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubblewrap

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Lately I've found an interest in Japanese LP-style guitars and I stumbled across this one. The seller claims it's a 1985 model, beautiful flame top as can be seen in the picture. The serial number is L50193 and it weighs approximately 3,5 kilograms (7.7 lb). It comes with Burstbucker Pros but the original pickups are included. It may have had a refretting at some point because the frets are "good as new", according to the seller.

I'd like some help in identifying the correct model of the guitar, as it seems the seller does not know. So what are we looking at here?

1985GrecoFlameTop.jpg

Thanks for any help!

looks lke the pickguard/plastic and truss rod cover are Gibson replacements,also 7.7 pounds seems alittle on the light side unless it's chambered..

LarryC said:
looks lke the pickguard/plastic and truss rod cover are Gibson replacements,also 7.7 pounds seems alittle on the light side unless it's chambered..

Yes, those seem to have been swapped. The weight was what caught me too, I consider 7.7 pounds really light for an LP-style guitar. Anyhow, would anyone like to have a go at guessing the model? I haven't got a clue myself so I'm reaching out to you.

I was of the impression that the high-end models mostly had solid bodies...?
In other words heavier than this one.. Obviously, I could be wrong:)
Also.. it doesn't seem to have the "cut-o" mint collection logo.. so could it be 75?

Teigen said:
I was of the impression that the high-end models mostly had solid bodies...?
In other words heavier than this one.. Obviously, I could be wrong:)
Also.. it doesn't seem to have the "cut-o" mint collection logo.. so could it be 75?

Could also be 1995.

****, Freebird & Teigen are right: that's a closed O. It's hard to make out from this pic but the G and R are also not connected, so it's a post 1990 logo.
I've seen those up to 1997, alledgely those were made in the early 90s(up to 92/93) but got the serial number stamp later.

jacco said:
****, Freebird & Teigen are right: that's a closed O. It's hard to make out from this pic but the G and R are also not connected, so it's a post 1990 logo.
I've seen those up to 1997, alledgely those were made in the early 90s(up to 92/93) but got the serial number stamp later.

Sorry guys, my bad. I could've saved you the trouble when I posted my original message. So, as you already figured out, the "O" is closed.
"Japanstrat" over at the japanaxe forum wrote:

"There are also closed O Grecos like the Rock Spirits in the open O Mint Collection years in the 1980's".

So where does that lead us? :) It could be an '85 Rock Spirit or a '95 Mint Collection? Based on the overall condition the guitar seems to be in, I guess the '95 would be more likely..?

I believe Mint Collection stops in 89/90. Looks more like a 1995 model, also because of the good state of the hardware

You (we) need more pics/information;
FEB?, nitro or poly finish?, looks like a veneer top, is it? how many pieces back?, what are the original pups?, pic of the control cavity and upper pup cavity, pic of the serial number

EDIT: I e-mailed the seller for some more details on the Greco. If he?s unable to provide me with them, I?ll just pass on this one. I?ve also got my eyes on another one. It?s the same guitar that is in this thread, a Burny FLG-60 (the same as a Tokai LS-60 Reborn?), the second one from the left in the picture:
http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=162

Well I got an answer from the seller.

jacco said:
You (we) need more pics/information;
FEB?, nitro or poly finish?, looks like a veneer top, is it? how many pieces back?, what are the original pups?, pic of the control cavity and upper pup cavity, pic of the serial number

- No FEB
- Seller says nitro, but who knows
- No info regarding veneer top or not
- 2 piece back
- Pickups neck 7.19k / bridge 7.59k. No info on manufacturer

He'll send me some pictures later today.
Funny thing is, I mentioned that the guitar would appear to be a '95. He said the store he bought it from said the same, but that a buddy of his, who "has experience in japanese guitars" was convinced that it was a 1985. The store has quite a good reputation, so I'd say this case is closed, the guitar's a '95 and I'll probably pass.

Yeah that is a 95 serial number for sure. FEB doesn't matter really and Greco's high end models right up to the 1200 were veneered so I would not let that deter you either. I am sure it is a **** fine guitar but the real question is price?

Just because it's light doesn't mean it's chambered. I have and ObG that is just 8 pounds and it's solid, sustains and resonates great. In my opinion the best LP's are in that 8 to 11 pound range. So just under 8 could be an excellent sounding guitar and solid.

+1 on a 1995 model because of the font of the serial number.
So if it's nitro it must be a EG700.

Is that the "flames" visible in the control cavity?
This might be a solid flame top (aka a real flame top).

Latest posts

Back