Ibanez Super 58 Pickup

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outsider

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion of these pickups. There's one for sale on a finnish auction site starting at 33 euros. Worth a try?

I have a tendency to answer my own questions myself... :roll: how sad is that?

I got a single Super 58 from the net and I'm going to install it to the neck position of my LS-85. I took some pictures of it if someone's interested. I'll post more when I know how it sounds.

DSCN4916.jpg

DSCN4918.jpg

DSCN4917.jpg

The ones from the 70s/80s are made by Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) and might be close to Dry Z pickups. I can't say for sure because I've never tried them. The one above might not be made by Nisshin Onpa (Maxon) because it hasn't got a Maxon code stamped on it. Hoshino had them made with the same specs by other makers ater 1982. http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=768

Ok, now it's on...

The installing wasn't such an easy thing to do as some of you might have presumed just be looking at the thing. The other ear, the on with three holes in it, didn't fit the pickup-cavity. I took a big risk and just cut the extra metal off so I could try it out. Also the screws were too big for the pickup-rings so I had to enlarge the holes because the stock screws were too small for the pickups own holes. Additionally the screws were a little short so it was a lot of work to get the pickup on a desired level.

Fortunately it all paid off. Before I started to change the pickup I played my LS-85 with the MKII's through Roland Microcube (not a bad amp for tone-evalution) with Jazz Chorus and Plexi settings and then with the Ibanez when I got it installed. What a sound! The highs a sweet and transparent, the mids hollow in a good way and the bass tight and focused. The MKII is kind of boomy and dull sounding compared to the Super 58. I'm going to change the strings and play my Love Rock tonight at the rehearsals to see how it sounds through a real amp.

I payed 57? for my Super 58. I don't think I could have made much of a better deal. :D

Just out of curiosity what was the dc resistance on that? Aren't they similar to Greco pups from late 70's early 80's?

Late 70s/early 80s Super58 DC reistance is like a Gibson PAF and they have a Alnico 3 magnet.
From a 1982 Ibanez catalogue http://www.guitartechcraig.com/ibanez/82armc/82ar3.jpg
The newer ones might be wax potted and might have an Alnico 5 magnet.

Thanks japanstrat for the details. I got the impression that it should be made by Maxon, not sure thought. I dont' really care because it's probably the best pickup I've heard on Les Paul-type guitar.

Latest posts

Back