i need some opinions about a super grade(pics added)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muccax said:
hi
i got an all black burny lp that has the same pots (that i had dated from the late 80) ..... i did belive they had been changed ,,,, but maybe the later burny used another kind of pots
maybe we can use that too ,,, to id burny from the 90 :D :D
all the best
otto

I think Otto is right, no pot code is post 1992, so it must be a RLG70.

yeah i think its a 1990's at any rate it's a great guitar. i'm glad to have it. at first i loved the pickups, then i didn't. now i do again! just had to drop them real low, and it has a very beautiful, clear tone that overdrives with dare i say it! a velvet hammer kinda tone!! really smooth kinda low mid fuzz with a top crunch that is just perfect for single note blues lines. just the right amount of clarity on single lines, perfect crunch on double stops and chords. of course i'm using a tweed bandmaster, that helps. and the controls work with a sublime touch. anyway, i am a burny convert!!! i still feel i paid too much, but only cuz it didn't come with a hard case. gator cali girl on the way!!! best $1075 i spent on a guitar in a long time.

Hi, I'm looking at a super grade with vh1's writen on the pickup rings like the ones in your pics, was there a year that this started to appear?

JDB said:
Hi, I'm looking at a super grade with vh1's writen on the pickup rings like the ones in your pics, was there a year that this started to appear?
i guess late 80's i'm not sure though. i will say if they have silver baseplates with grey wires, and measure a little over 8kohms they will sound great!!! mine just needed a little adjustment.

Pegcityrocker said:
This appears to be a late 80's RLG-90 '59 Model. You can tell this by the VH-1 pickups. The RLG-60's had VH-3's in this era and the RLG-90's had the VH-1's as seen in this Burny catalog from 1988:
http://www.fernandes.co.jp/others/catalog/1988_02/068.html

Here's another one from 1990 where the RLG-60 turned into an RLG-70 but the RLG-90 stayed the same with the VH-1's;
http://www.fernandes.co.jp/others/catalog/1990/085.html

I just bought one myself.

No, a 80s/early 90s model should have pot codes.
With only the pics at the start of the thread I thought so too; in the 80s a VH1 + FEB = RLG-90. No pot codes + VH-1 = post 1992 = RLG70.
It has a 3 piece back..

Are the caps yellow?

Latest posts

Back